Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

And have little blurbs of Tucson wisdom in between the horrible.

"I can't fix the roof during monsoon season, but when the sun comes out it stops leaking on its own."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 22, 2014, 07:27:26 PM
And have little blurbs of Tucson wisdom in between the horrible.

"I can't fix the roof during monsoon season, but when the sun comes out it stops leaking on its own."

A week or two back, maybe three, one of the storms made a tornado-like occurence around my folks' neighborhood.  They're still patching up houses, and after the storm five of the houses hit worst were unsafe to enter.

Freeky

So I'm cooking a goose for this game review/leak podcast I'm on a lot.  My question: is doing it on a grill a good idea?  I have a big old roasting pan if it needs to be off the rack, and I can also get coals or wood fuel for it.  Any ideas either way, you people who cook a lot?

LMNO

Gooses are loaded with fat.  If you grill it, it will most likely be either a fireball or a sooty mess.  I would only grill it if you had a recipie that calls for it that you trust.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 22, 2014, 07:41:08 PM
Gooses are loaded with fat.  If you grill it, it will most likely be either a fireball or a sooty mess.  I would only grill it if you had a recipie that calls for it that you trust.

Would putting it in a roasting pan while it's on the grill help? 

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 22, 2014, 07:41:08 PM

You need to keep it well above the flames, like on a spit. Because like you said, that grease drips off and has a pretty high flashpoint. But it is sooooo good if you can rig it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Grills are really finicky. Is there a problem with the oven?

Suu

Husband's home from Boston and asleep on the couch in 15 minutes. He got an artillery shell for me. <3 True love.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I'm going to see Dave Foley do stand-up tonight for free. Going with a waitress at the club he's playing, so strong possibility I'll get to hang out and meet the dude. I don't get star-struck that easily, but...I mean...HE'S CANADIAN!
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Gah. I have this problem in every technology oriented class where the teacher isn't fully up to speed.

Question on a quiz:

SaaS (Software as a Service) uses clouded storage and is not downloaded onto your computer or mobile device (T/F).

ummm...true...mostly...but also not when there's a client or some such.

This particular teacher was making some pretty egregious errors in lecture, but I just bit my lip because it seemed inconsequential. Now, I'm having to answer questions trying to fill in the gaps with what I think her lack of expertise might be thinking.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Roasting goose is really only worth it for the fat and the carcass, IMO. Goose fat is one of the tastiest fats there is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I gut stung by a mason bee today. It answered the age old question, am I really allergic to bees?

Yep. Turns out. Yep.

I am on a lot of drugs and will get an epi pen next time I go to the doctor.