News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Demolition Squid

I'm alright.

To be honest, it is a relief - and that makes me feel guilty, but the man was a painter. The diagnosis had gone from 'a long road to recovery' to 'if he survives, of people in his condition 95% can never look after themselves again'.

He'd have hated being looked after at all - potentially never being able to paint again would have been bad enough... never being able to talk or feed himself would have been hell. He was a very proud man - I'm glad he wasn't made to feel ashamed about something that was completely outside his control.

I'm worried about my grandmother, though. We didn't realize until this all happened how reliant on him she was. She didn't know where food or cutlery was kept, how to open her own front door, how to work the laundry... really, he's been her carer for a very long time, and her mobility issues are a lot worse than she let us see when we went to see her.

We started to get some services in place for her - help cleaning and food deliveries, that sort of thing - but she's resisted getting a wheelchair or a motorized scooter. That's just the physical problems, too. In a few weeks she's going to be on her own for the first time in 50 years, and like I said, despite the doctors being very open and clear since the outset, I don't think she could let herself believe that he'd actually not pull through and be fine.

There were no good outcomes here, so in a lot of ways I'm just glad we've reached one and can start trying to pull things back together.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Doktor Howl

Holy shit. I remember how it all happened.

But first, some sleep.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Chelagoras The Boulder

i hope everything works out for your family, DS
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I think I'm on the verge of convincing my co-worker that he's been dead for 40 years.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 06, 2015, 03:21:12 PM
I think I'm on the verge of convincing my co-worker that he's been dead for 40 years.

That reminds me, one of my classmates did their presentation on Cotard's Syndrome. I thought of Roger.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Excellent.  Thanks to taking a student to hospital last night but one, it seems I've probably contracted influenza.

Just in time for my days off!

Chelagoras The Boulder

So, yesterday my students tried to get me fired for *GASP* enforcing the rules they're supposed to follow! My boss's boss had to come in and interrogate the entire class until they determined that the kids were stirring up pointless drama over not being able to do whatever they want all day. The rich rewards of working with children.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Flu confirmed.  After going down to start work, despite wearing 3 layers of clothing, including a fleece, I couldn't get warm without camping next to the radiator.  Headache, check.  Light senisitivty, check.  Aching joints, check.

I got sent off duty actually.  Which is for the best, I will only infect the whole building otherwise.  Still, fucking sucks.  Just had a 2 1/2 hour nap, and the paracetamol and ibuprofen have kicked in, but I still feel like utter shit.

The Wizard Joseph

Was going to head to my hometown and visit my Dad but found myself short on funds. Guess I'll have time to do some stuffs for here instead this weekend! I got a phone call in this morning. My pop has his second round of shingles thanks to the chemo wiping his autoimmune system real hard. He's dealing and not much can be done but to let it run it's course.

Also...

Jehovahbubba!  :lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 06, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
So, yesterday my students tried to get me fired for *GASP* enforcing the rules they're supposed to follow! My boss's boss had to come in and interrogate the entire class until they determined that the kids were stirring up pointless drama over not being able to do whatever they want all day. The rich rewards of working with children.

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2015, 05:19:24 PM
Excellent.  Thanks to taking a student to hospital last night but one, it seems I've probably contracted influenza.

Just in time for my days off!

You guys make teaching sound so rewarding.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've been running my ass off all week and I have to leave again in four minutes to do volunteer duties at the Columbia Slough.

Why am I doing this? I am pretty sure it's because I'm a complete dumbass.