News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

what do you mean, "original"?

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 07:22:03 PM
the singer of the band comes to practice with three standard chords and half a lyric. he or she starts playing these chords and repeating the half lyric. the others join in, and in the end product two of these three chords are left in one part of the song, and the band nags the singer to write some lyrics because he or she doesn't like it when others write the texts. is now the singer justified to claim this song as their own and (though saying "it's not about the money") insisting that the "truth" and the "fact" of the ownership of his or her "original idea" be acknowledged?

Qualifications:  "is now the singer justified to claim this song as their own".  Does "their" mean the singer?

Actually, a lot of the pronoun use is unclear.  Who doesn't like it when who doesn't write texts?

Not knowing that info:

1) The musical could be credited to "the band" rather than "the singer".  If the singer wants to get pissy, the singer can get credited as composer, and the band as arrangers.  The royalties would be split as per their contract.

2) If "the singer" writes all the lyrics, then the singer has copyright on the lyrics.  Lyrics and music fall under different copyrights.  If someone else helped with the lyrics, they can argue the lyrics were co-written.  Again, royalties would be split as per contract.

If you notice, the common thread here is "per contract".  When you speak of money, you speak of contracts.  And if the band is arguing about who "owns" a song, and they don't have a contract and understand this stuff, they won't be a band for very much longer.

LMNO
-The Frost Heaves have songs written by The Frost Heaves.  Lyrics by the singer, with noted exceptions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Rogie

Maaaaannnn I really hope this was some sort of Autocorrect error, otherwise, total dick move.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 07:49:58 PM

Rogie

Maaaaannnn I really hope this was some sort of Autocorrect error, otherwise, total dick move.

Not likely, there's no such word.

You know, I'm willing to put up with anger, hate, whatever.  None of those things denies that I have agency.

Contempt does.

Given that my working theory on "humans" is "All people are humans until and unless they demonstrate that they cannot view others as humans", Grannysmith is no longer a person, as far as I'm concerned.  Just another dumbass sociopath in a world full of dumbass sociopaths.  Nothing to be seen or learned from him; he has nothing to say.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 08:25:52 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 07:49:58 PM

Rogie

Not likely, there's no such word.

You know, I'm willing to put up with anger, hate, whatever.  None of those things denies that I have agency.

Contempt does.

Given that my working theory on "humans" is "All people are humans until and unless they demonstrate that they cannot view others as humans", Grannysmith is no longer a person, as far as I'm concerned.  Just another dumbass sociopath in a world full of dumbass sociopaths.  Nothing to be seen or learned from him; he has nothing to say.

It might be a word in another language, and Grannysmith speaks several other languages and may not be a native English speaker. Which is why I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until she clarifies it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I'm guessing it was an unwarrented attempt at familiarity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:03:37 PM

It certainly looks that way. Like a condescending use of a diminutive in an attempt to demean him. But, y'know, I asked, on the off chance that it wasn't what it looked like.

LMNO

Telarus

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but that's how I took it. She seemed to be trying to re-frame away from "How's that? Get away from me." into a mode where communication could actually happen. Successful? Apparently not. She has been here 3 years and has over 2k posts, she may have thought she had enough rapport with forum to go with a nickname for Roger.

:shrug:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

Does anyone have a nickname for Roger, other than "Mad Bastard"?

I believe it's been stated a few times that the only person he lets call him "Rog" must be someone he's having sex with.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on December 17, 2013, 09:16:32 PM

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but that's how I took it. She seemed to be trying to re-frame away from "How's that? Get away from me." into a mode where communication could actually happen. Successful? Apparently not. She has been here 3 years and has over 2k posts, she may have thought she had enough rapport with forum to go with a nickname for Roger.

It's a he.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:19:54 PM

I believe it's been stated a few times that the only person he lets call him "Rog" must be someone he's having sex with.

This is fact.  I don't get pissed when friends call me "Rog", but if I notice it I usually correct them.

Unless they're willing to get funky.  In which case, you know...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:19:54 PM

This is fact.  I don't get pissed when friends call me "Rog", but if I notice it I usually correct them.

Unless they're willing to get funky.  In which case, you know...

Even "asshole" is okay.

I just don't like diminuatives of my name.  And "Rogie" was deliberately condescending.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on December 17, 2013, 09:16:32 PM

It's interpersonal relationships 101 that you don't use a diminutive or a nickname with someone you aren't familiar with unless it's a deliberate attempt to knock them down a peg or two.