News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Is Terry Pratchett a Discordian?

Started by WyrdKitten, August 07, 2009, 10:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyrdKitten

I'm very new to this philosophy/worldview/religion/thing called Discordianism. So far all I really know is - it seems a hell of a lot like that philosophy i've been calling "Pratchetteanism" up until now. On another forum, a Discordian told me the worldview and philosophy running through Pratchett's Discworld series is full on Discordianism. So here I am on this forum to ask if that's true.

Cain

While I've never heard Pratchett call himself a Discordian, the idea that he is not aware of it, after reading "Thief of Time" or playing "Discworld Noir" (which actually has a religion that is so close to Discordianism that it is scary) is untenable, to say the least.  If I ever get the chance to meet him in person, it is a question I intend to ask.

Also, many Discordians enjoy his work, which I suspect is not entirely chance.  There is plenty of overlap, Discordians don't have a monopoly on humour or surrealism or clever critiques of society disguised as humour, but they definitely appeal nonetheless.

WyrdKitten

Thank you  :)

I've generally thought like I am the Discworld. For years. I've tended to call it "Pratchetteanism". Then I get the funny looks. "You base your worldview mostly on a comedy fantasy book series?" Nooo. I just think like that philosphy. Yeah. The one in the comedy fantasy series. YOU GOT A PROBLEM?

If it's Discordianism (whether it was originally meant to be by Pratchett or not) SIGN ME UP. :lord: (I've got me own 'Pope Card'. The Second Bottle Washer and some other stuff gave it to me.)

So now i've been keeping a vague eye on the threads here and i feel a hell of a lot like this guy ~>  :whack:

Especially when it comes to the Operation Midfuck section. . . . .  .. ..

It's meant to do that - right?

Please tell me someone has a map!

I've heard hints that I can pretty much do what I want as long as I am not someone who is completely unable to understand fnord.... It just seems too good to be true.

I have gotten this vague idea that there's this book i should know the contents of so...

-Wonders off to read 'Principia Discordia'-

Captain Utopia

Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 12:13:58 AM

I've heard hints that I can pretty much do what I want as long as I am not someone who is completely unable to understand fnord.... It just seems too good to be true.

I have gotten this vague idea that there's this book i should know the contents of so...

-Wonders off to read 'Principia Discordia'-
I'm not one to give you advice on Discordianism, since I only read a third of the PD, and I have no idea what a 'fnord' is.

But welcome!

If you ever find the right map, or have any ideas on how to construct one, do let me know!

That said, I think that once you pick a map, you start seeing structures which approximate that map where ever you look. Which in turn starts making the map you picked at random, look like a very fortuitous find. Explaining why that fortune occurred to you an initial task of the map. E.g. A Christian might believe themselves to be "chosen", then read Pratchett and see only those parts which talk in a rhythm to their own beliefs.

So I see Discordianism as a system which basically says "choose your own map, use it, defend it if you want to, or not, pick a new one whenever you feel like it". Intellectually that would seem to be the least stifling, and there are unexpected consequences to using _any_ map, but it may be seen as lazy or just plain stupid to people using a map which looks nothing like mine.

If that makes any sense?

EDIT: And of course, you're not limited to using only one map at a time, but the more maps you use, the less easily you can successfully map between them.

Rumckle

Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 12:13:58 AM

We don't even have a car in one piece, we have a habit of rolling while trying to drive off-road.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether Pratchet knows of PD or not, but there are a lot of good writers out there who have similar ideas to us, but may not have heard of PD, see the Douglas Adams thread below this, for instance.

Anyway, welcome, we have a pool on the roof.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

WyrdKitten

Twas the thread that got me to start this one.

I've been reading PD for the last several hours - and have answered my own question. He must have read it. That or Eris was involved somewhere. If i don't leave this forum and bugger off somewhere else (I get distracted easily) I might add some reasons. (I will mention that I often describe a "Pratchettean" as a person who has looked at the world and seen the joke. That and spreading the gospel of Pratchett by forcefeeding books to all friends and families (It's a selective art) (We aren't required to 'convert', we just do) are typical of Pratchettean based religions. While we're not sure about the heavy stand on hotdogs, we do believe there's no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza. OK i'm done on this sidethought.)

-cough-

From what I can tell so far though - here's my theory. He is a Discordian, but a particular breed. From what I can tell so far - all Discordians are different - except the ones who aren't.

I already am a Pope (like i said, Pope card - and an initiation ritual that came with extra forum wine) and I am resisting (with much effort) naming myself a Saint right yet. (Last time i was a bright eyed newbie I was 13 and running after Wicca. It's been a few years.) I haven't (wait - on the years thing - not that many - just a few) been able to prevent the image search. My computer pictures folder already has the sexiest Sacred Chao i could find.  :oops:

So anyways, yeah. Thank you for the welcome ( :lulz: ) I'll be in the pool. :mrgreen:

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 03:10:23 AMMy computer pictures folder already has the sexiest Sacred Chao i could find.  :oops:

Are you going to share?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

OK, just checked my copy of Discworld noir.  It didn't work, because its not made to work with Vista. 

However, I did check a game guide and it reminded me of a few things.  In particular, how does this strike you?  A conspiracy theorist named Malaclypse, who can be found at the Temple of Small Gods and worships the Ephebian (ie Greek) goddess of Misunderstandings, Errata, who, according to the plot of the game:

"was the cause of the Tsortean Wars; not, as most people believe, Elenor. Understandably not the most liked goddess, Errata wasn't invited to many weddings, one of which was Peloria and Theta's. She was not pleased, and so devised a plan for revenge. She had Neoldian forge a golden falchion with "For the Strongest" engraved on it. This caused a fight between almost 80 different war gods. Luckily Neoldian had also engraved "Batteries Not Included" on the falchion, which fortunately for Errata, caused an argument between Patina, who thought the sword was a subtly observed metaphor for the hopelessness of existence, and Cephut, who thought it was a big knife. In the end it became so heated that Astoria bribed Rhome of Tsort to steal and hide the falchion just to shut her sister up. In return, Astoria gave Elenor to Rhome and the resulting extramarital confusion blew up into the Tsortean Wars."

Yeah, Pratchett has never heard of Discordianism.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rumwolf on August 08, 2009, 04:20:53 AM
Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 03:10:23 AM
we do believe there's no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza.

QFT

That would be because there's no need for an excuse to put pineapple on pizza. It is an inherently good thing.

LMNO

Verbal Mike

Thanks for that quote Cain, it warms my little heart to see it.

I think there was a thread somewhere around here full of Discordian-esque Pratchett quotes...
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

The Wizard

The man probably counts as an honorary Discordian.
Insanity we trust.