News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

No, I'm not dead but...

Started by LMNO, July 27, 2011, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Fractalbeard

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Mangrove

:sad:

Our thoughts are with you & your family.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 30, 2011, 04:42:26 PM
We knew it was coming for a while, so it's easier to deal with. In case anyone wants to know more about him, this is currently the best obit: http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/jhmarburger.shtml

He sounds like he was a hell of a guy.
Molon Lube

Kai

One of the final conversations he had about science and science advocacy:

Quote from: Jack MarburgerIf I had one piece of advice to offer on your topic it would be "focus on excellence and content." Spend time becoming the best that you can be in your chosen field.  You don't have to be brilliant to be successful in science, but you do have to love what you're doing and do it reliably and without slick salesmanship.  Passion comes through clearly and everyone loves to see it in action.  A scientist who loves their work can motivate an entire laboratory and provide a spark that helps everyone be more creative and successful.  When it comes to getting funding or having people support your ideas, nothing is more important that showing integrity, competence, and a passion for whatever you're doing.  It also helps to know what your sponsor wants and to try to help him/her become successful.  You want to know how your talents can help your sponsor succeed.  If they succeed, you will succeed.

http://marketingforscientists.tumblr.com/post/7533781032/a-note-from-john-marburger

Emphasis mine.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish