News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Glow in the dark kittens!!

Started by Luna, September 18, 2011, 07:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on September 20, 2011, 04:26:38 AM
Well, that too...but you can get blood samples without dissection, methinks.

It's cheaper to make them glow-in-the-dark.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Luna

And, better resale value.

"Lookie, we're done with these.  Glow in the dark kitties, who wants one?" as opposed to "we dissected 'em, who needs spare parts for...  never mind..."
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Golden Applesauce

With gene tagging, you can tell if they successfully got the gene by visual inspection (which is even less invasive than drawing blood) and, more importantly, you can tell where and when the gene is being expressed.

The latter two points aren't that relevant here, since we only care if the kitten has the genes at all, but in general research being able to tell which cells are expressing the gene is really helpful when you're trying to answer the question "What the hell does this DNA do, anyway?"

Quote from: Luna on September 22, 2011, 02:27:23 AM

"Lookie, we're done with these.  Glow in the dark kitties, who wants one?" as opposed to "we dissected 'em, who needs spare parts for...  never mind..."

Hate to break it to you but (AFAIK) the standard thing to do in research like this is to dissect the specimen anyway to make sure that the treated cats don't have anything abnormal going on inside, like a higher rate of tiny tumors.  I could be wrong, though.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jenne

GA, you be burstin' da bubbles ITT...but that's sorta what I figured anyway when I read it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on September 22, 2011, 03:02:29 AM

With gene tagging, you can tell if they successfully got the gene by visual inspection (which is even less invasive than drawing blood) and, more importantly, you can tell where and when the gene is being expressed.

The latter two points aren't that relevant here, since we only care if the kitten has the genes at all, but in general research being able to tell which cells are expressing the gene is really helpful when you're trying to answer the question "What the hell does this DNA do, anyway?"

Quote from: Luna on September 22, 2011, 02:27:23 AM

Hate to break it to you but (AFAIK) the standard thing to do in research like this is to dissect the specimen anyway to make sure that the treated cats don't have anything abnormal going on inside, like a higher rate of tiny tumors.  I could be wrong, though.

They will most likely be dissected after death, but it would render this particular research meaningless if they don't observe their life spans. Making them immune to AIDS is pointless if they all die of cancer at six.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

(Also, if they find that for some reason they live twice as long as normal cats, that is also directly relevant to the research.)

Triple Zero

I want to let a horde of these kittens loose at a rave party or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Likewise, I would think they'll want to see if the gene tinkering inherits.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 23, 2011, 06:27:36 PM

HELL FUCKING YES.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on September 23, 2011, 06:29:03 PM

Yes, that would also be significant and highly relevant to the research.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 23, 2011, 06:27:36 PM

It would look kind of like this:

Only more glow in the dark

Luna

Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2011, 06:45:46 PM

The glow is very important, to see, for example, what percentage of generations inherit the gene, and if the gene is dominant or recessive in crossbreeds.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on September 23, 2011, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2011, 06:45:46 PM

The glow is very important, to see, for example, what percentage of generations inherit the gene, and if the gene is dominant or recessive in crossbreeds.

It was really a stroke of genius.

Bruno

I want my car upholstered in this stuff!  8)
Formerly something else...