News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

See, you CAN learn something new at FoxNews dot com

Started by Disco Pickle, August 14, 2011, 12:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why is balut grosser than squab? I've been asking myself this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

isn't squab a fully formed babby, rather than a bird fetus?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on August 16, 2011, 03:01:03 AM
Why is balut grosser than squab? I've been asking myself this.

i had to look up squab, but it's not so much that it's a fetus, but rather that it's inside an egg, which you boil, and you eat the entire thing, bones, tiny feathers, beak, eyes, feet, everything.

I'm assuming they pluck the squab and cut off some bits such as head and feet and you eat it from the bones, not including the bones.

Also, for some reason (could be personal?) boiled things are always slightly grosser than cooked or fried things. If you could somehow manage to fry the balut, sans egg shell, it'd still be weird, but at least it'd be crispy :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

I've never heard of that being referred to as squab.

Squab is a small woodland ground bird, like a partridge or grouse but smaller.

ETA: according to wikipedia, it's a small pigeon.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Reading back my previous post, I see it's incredibly confusing. Sorry :)

I think Nigel's point was that they're also very young.

Though Wikipedia says about 1 month. Which is young, but very different from still-inside-the-egg.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Elder Iptuous

a fetus is inherently disturbing for me because it's in some grey zone between living thing, and dismembered organ...
if there was some animal that was tastiest right after it was born, i would be ok with that, while i would have some revulsion if it were tastiest right before it were to be born, and removed from the womb. 
the revulsion would increase the further back into gestation you went, i would think...
if it's in an egg, it's a little less disturbing, but the revulsion is still there.

also, like trip said, you're eating it bones, feathers, and all... eww.

Sita

I should not have looked up what balut was  :|
I've always had a slight fear of opening an egg to find it had an occupant, more so if it is a boiled egg. I have a thing against eating babies.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Elder Iptuous

fetus is gross.
baby can be good. 
mmmmm cabrito...

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

I wouldn't have a problem with balut if they could make it using a breed of beakless and featherless duck.

And in all fairness, that's only the 2nd grossest thing that asians do with eggs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Aaaand we're back to lutefisk :)

I think the basic conclusion is, "if you think that bad, try curing it in a strong alkaline for some time."

Epimetheus

I don't really care what I eat, long as it's good and has a texture other than that of a slug*.

*It was a dream I had. Couldn't eat pasta for a while after it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Kurt Christ

When I was a kid, Nestle Magic Balls were basically the same as the surprise eggs. Looking it up, they had to change to having stickers inside the ball because of choking hazards.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Anna Mae Bollocks

What's gross isn't that the egg has a fetus, it's that the fetus has GUTS. :vom:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on August 20, 2011, 03:47:50 AM
What's gross isn't that the egg has a fetus, it's that the fetus has GUTS. :vom:

yeah, but they're all pristine and unused! It's really not any grosser than eating a clam or a softshell crab.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."