News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Pot Roast

Started by Cainad (dec.), December 23, 2012, 05:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

http://deadspin.com/5970682/how-to-cook-a-pot-roast-a-guide-for-people-who-want-to-live-dammit

I can't say that I know enough about making pot roast to speak to the culinary correctness of this article, but the recipe is written in proper PeeDee Recipe format:

QuoteSomewhere along the way, it got common to treat Christmas dinner like Thanksgiving II: This Time Without Turkey—like a big showpiece meal for which amateur cooks are meant to serve up some impressive exotic culinary masterpiece far outside the bounds of their humble repertoire of comfort foods. Take a walk through the butcher section of your local supermarket during the week before the holiday, and you can see the evidence of this phenomenon: geese, ducks, whole beef tenderloins, sea scallops the size of your fist, 15-pound prime rib roasts, entire goddamn wild Alaskan halibuts with their friggin' heads sawed off—all of this where there used to be Jumbo Family Packs of ground chuck, chicken thighs, and meatloaf mix.

Fuck all that. It's a busy goddamn day, what with visiting relations and opening gifts and getting transported to an alternate dimension in which you followed your dreams or whatever; if your idea of a swell way to wind it down is to spend the evening in white-knuckle terror over the fate of your $300 prime rib, that's your business, but I'll be over here with the sane people, being sane, eating pot roast, and doing other sane things you wouldn't understand. (Prolly scratch myself some, too.)

And so on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I liked the article. :lulz: But I have to say, most typical Christmas dinner foods are pretty straightforward in terms of prep because you just roast them. Or boil them, if it's crab.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Indeed. I just like the approach that every recipe and how-to for cooking includes chastising the pretentious and misguided fools who learned everything they know about cooking from Food Network and Martha Stewart, even if it's unnecessary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Or went to the culinary institute and uses holidays as an opportunity to show off?  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."