News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingyak

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 06:41:30 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
A little nit-picky, I realize, but a boycott on any artist that signs with a label is also too broad. There are a lot of small labels that are not part of the problem and who treat their artists fairly and are actually fulfilling the useful role of handling a lot of the day-to-day business and promotion stuff that the artist can't handle themselves (John Prine's Oh Boy! Records comes to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more). By boycotting all labels, you'd actually hurt labels who are doing what they're supposed to be doing. A real movement against the entertainment industry would require identifying the players that are causing a problem as well as the ones who are acting in good faith and educating people on which labels should and should not be supported. Otherwise, you're more likely to destroy a lot of good labels without doing any significant damage to the bad (on the off chance you destroy the bad labels along with the good, you're just creating a vacuum that will be filled with new and equally bad players). Of course, that kind of thing would require actual legwork and research and isn't nearly as cool as shouting "BURN IT DOWN!"

Now you've done it.  You've brought NUANCE into it, and that means PDS might have to THINK, instead of getting his KNEE JERK on, which is - at least in his mind - less likely to get him laid with hipster/trustafarian chicks.

Sorry about that. I keep forgetting how anti-American nuance is. One of these days the re-education will take, I swear on the soul of Ronald Reagan. 

:teabagger1:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 07:58:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 06:41:30 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
A little nit-picky, I realize, but a boycott on any artist that signs with a label is also too broad. There are a lot of small labels that are not part of the problem and who treat their artists fairly and are actually fulfilling the useful role of handling a lot of the day-to-day business and promotion stuff that the artist can't handle themselves (John Prine's Oh Boy! Records comes to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more). By boycotting all labels, you'd actually hurt labels who are doing what they're supposed to be doing. A real movement against the entertainment industry would require identifying the players that are causing a problem as well as the ones who are acting in good faith and educating people on which labels should and should not be supported. Otherwise, you're more likely to destroy a lot of good labels without doing any significant damage to the bad (on the off chance you destroy the bad labels along with the good, you're just creating a vacuum that will be filled with new and equally bad players). Of course, that kind of thing would require actual legwork and research and isn't nearly as cool as shouting "BURN IT DOWN!"

Now you've done it.  You've brought NUANCE into it, and that means PDS might have to THINK, instead of getting his KNEE JERK on, which is - at least in his mind - less likely to get him laid with hipster/trustafarian chicks.

Sorry about that. I keep forgetting how anti-American nuance is. One of these days the re-education will take, I swear on the soul of Ronald Reagan. 

:teabagger1:

Too late, fucker.  It's off to Wasilla for you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: kingyak on January 19, 2012, 11:51:42 PMFirst off, the "never buy a CD" thing: In some cases, following this literally would take money directly from the artist. I rarely buy physical CDs, but when I do it's usually directly from a band/performer at a show and usually one that they've financed themselves. I might be able to download the music for free or cheaper, but this way I'm helping them cover the gas money. Of course, this guy says he doesn't go to shows, so it might not apply to him.

I kind of got from that he would buy it on different media (mp3 download etc), because CDs are kind of obsolete pieces of plastic to him (regardless of who gets money from selling them). That's something I can identify with, I haven't touched my CDs in more than five years--except for long drives in cars that don't have a USB MP3 player socket, and then only like my 10 favourite albums from a (rather old) collection of a couple hundreds. Most of my CDs are still in a box somewhere, I really don't need them, the biggest reason why I keep them is because I spent a lot of money on them :)

I see your point about your other issues btw. I view it slightly differently, but elaborating on that would just spark another everybody-goes-through-the-moves-nobody-changes-their-mind "legizalize pot" type of thread :P (we've been there before, several times) (it'll probably happen regardless of whether I elaborate but meh).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 01:52:35 AM
This more clearly communicates much of the point that i was trying to get across. The movie industry is unnecessary because with modern technology their entire function in society could easily be fulfilled on a shoestring budget by independent artists. May I reprint this on some of the other forums where I posted my manifesto? As I said, I think that it communicates a large part of my point more effectively than I did.

Sure. Don't worry about attribution either, please, in case you manage to cut & paste it into a context that gets your point as badly across as the OP, I don't need my name attached to it.

Also, what I've seen, your OP didn't really try to get across much of those points, it tried to communicate a lot of other somewhat related points that I do not really agree with. I agree that it still did so in a very unclear manner, though.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

AFK

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 20, 2012, 11:32:41 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 19, 2012, 11:51:42 PMFirst off, the "never buy a CD" thing: In some cases, following this literally would take money directly from the artist. I rarely buy physical CDs, but when I do it's usually directly from a band/performer at a show and usually one that they've financed themselves. I might be able to download the music for free or cheaper, but this way I'm helping them cover the gas money. Of course, this guy says he doesn't go to shows, so it might not apply to him.

I kind of got from that he would buy it on different media (mp3 download etc), because CDs are kind of obsolete pieces of plastic to him (regardless of who gets money from selling them). That's something I can identify with, I haven't touched my CDs in more than five years--except for long drives in cars that don't have a USB MP3 player socket, and then only like my 10 favourite albums from a (rather old) collection of a couple hundreds. Most of my CDs are still in a box somewhere, I really don't need them, the biggest reason why I keep them is because I spent a lot of money on them :)

I see your point about your other issues btw. I view it slightly differently, but elaborating on that would just spark another everybody-goes-through-the-moves-nobody-changes-their-mind "legizalize pot" type of thread :P (we've been there before, several times) (it'll probably happen regardless of whether I elaborate but meh).
Aww, c'mon.  Just for once I want to be on top of the pile instead of on the bottom!

You're no fun!  ;)
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

LOL okay, have at it.

I think all artists should be on call 24/7 to come to my house barefoot through the snow and perform for me, for free, while starving to death. Then I get to sell their remains on eBay as fan-relics and I get to sue their family.

Anything less would be infringing on my Freedom of Entitlement.

GO!!

Nephew Twiddleton

For you trip, that is acceptable. However you must provide 4 dutch beers that arent heineken and i meal of whatever dutch people eat.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

kingyak

I kind of got from that he would buy it on different media (mp3 download etc), because CDs are kind of obsolete pieces of plastic to him (regardless of who gets money from selling them).

See, I didn't get that at all. I got "since I have in some way supported some artists in the past*, I have the right to steal from all the artists I want to." Basically a justification to make himself feel like he's not stealing from people, much like the OP.

*Not being familiar with the sites he mentioned, I don't know if he's downloading songs on a pay basis, a pay what you want basis, contributing to crowd-funded projects, or what. Also IIRC, this one admission that he's paid for music online was phrased as something he's done in the past with no indication that he does it on a regular basis or plans to do it again.

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh and one dime bag. One for rwhn too if hes in the band. That means hell have to give me his ration.

kingyak

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 21, 2012, 12:37:18 AM
LOL okay, have at it.

I think all artists should be on call 24/7 to come to my house barefoot through the snow and perform for me, for free, while starving to death. Then I get to sell their remains on eBay as fan-relics and I get to sue their family.

Anything less would be infringing on my Freedom of Entitlement.

GO!!

This almost works for me, but I also want the artists to give me blowjobs and ice cream.

Triple Zero

Kingyak, hm, maybe I didn't read the article too carefully then.

kingyak

Actually, he also gives "the industry is doing a shitty job" as a justification, but that's kind of like not tipping your waitress if the restaurant's noisy.

AFK

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 21, 2012, 12:45:46 AM
Oh and one dime bag. One for rwhn too if hes in the band. That means hell have to give me his ration.

Sure, I'll take the Heineken. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

East Coast Hustle

Actually he explicitly stated just the opposite.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"