News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

9 Ridiculous Cooking Myths You Probably Believe (Cracked)

Started by AFK, January 10, 2012, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 11, 2012, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 11, 2012, 10:33:38 PM
http://video.syfy.com/shows/marcelsquantumkitchen/v1319989

I think it might be interesting, if it weren't so gimmicky.  :lulz:

ETA: Apparently, this isn't actually FROM the show itself. But I don't want to sit through a full episode of Marcel right now. :lol:

This is quantum? Cake in the microwave?
Evidently.  :lulz:

LMNO

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2012, 11:27:30 PM
Technically, it's ALL quantum, eventually.

Sometimes I think the "It's all quantum" explanation is about as useful as "everything is connected to everything else".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Well, sure. It's about as useful as saying "Everything is Everything".

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2012, 11:42:06 PM
Well, sure. It's about as useful as saying "Everything is Everything".

I'M NOT !!!
                                                            \

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Damn, this thread is a lot like watching a mouse fuck with a cat and think it's doing WELL.

I ain't a chef.  Hell, I can barely feed myself without setting myself on fire.  (I do, however, do a killer breakfast, and managed enough bacon for a meatup without killing anybody.)

I'd eat just about anything ECH put in front of me on a plate that wasn't still twitching.

Meat "cooked" in bathwater?  :vom:  Pass, and anything else cooked by someone who thinks this is somehow a good idea is suspect by association.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on January 12, 2012, 03:32:57 PM
Damn, this thread is a lot like watching a mouse fuck with a cat and think it's doing WELL.

I ain't a chef.  Hell, I can barely feed myself without setting myself on fire.  (I do, however, do a killer breakfast, and managed enough bacon for a meatup without killing anybody.)

The fact that you're still proud about that bacon is probably most telling ;-)

(excellent bacon though)

QuoteMeat "cooked" in bathwater?  :vom:  Pass, and anything else cooked by someone who thinks this is somehow a good idea is suspect by association.

Eh, ECH himself said his opinion on sous vide is just an opinion1. I played around with sous-vide a bit, it's not bad. Sometimes it's pretty good, even.

After some experimenting though, I've come to the conclusion that if you want a perfect medium-rare steak, sous-vide cooking only does better if you're not very good at cooking a medium-rare steak the traditional way. Most importantly though, it taught me that the difference between a cheap steak from the frozen section of the supermarket and a month-aged "fresh" steak is way more important than what manner you cook it (given that you don't fuck it up).

One thing I do have to mention, a few weeks ago, I ate in a restaurant and what I ordered as entrée was just amazing. It was a sort of cube cut of pork belly, marinated in something good, and cooked sous-vide at low temperature for 24 hours. You can't make this the regular way. The entire thing was soft as butter, but still sort of "crunchy" and sweet and porky and fat and all the stringy bits that can be in pork belly were just as soft as the meaty bits and it was just, very very good. I want to try making this some time (though I fear the marinade is part of the secret), but I can't use my "beer cooler method" to cook something for 24h cause I'd have to refresh the hot water every few hours through the night :)

1 an opinion by a man, I should add, whose opinions have been proven objectively and irrefutably wrong in fact, such as his opinion on Grolsch beer :lol: ;-)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

East Coast Hustle

Something just occurred to me, Trip.

Does Grolsch do the same thing as Heineken and produce different versions of the beer for different markets?

Heineken in the states SUCKS. But if you go to the islands where they get the real Heineken it's pretty good beer. I wonder if Grolsch is the same way and I've just never had the opportunity to try the real version.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 12, 2012, 05:48:31 PM
Heineken in the states SUCKS.

So does all European beer.  We insist on fucking with the recipe, so that their beer tastes just as fucking Godawful as ours.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 12, 2012, 05:48:31 PM
Something just occurred to me, Trip.

Does Grolsch do the same thing as Heineken and produce different versions of the beer for different markets?

Heineken in the states SUCKS. But if you go to the islands where they get the real Heineken it's pretty good beer. I wonder if Grolsch is the same way and I've just never had the opportunity to try the real version.

Heineken in the Netherlands isn't that good either. It's the biggest brand of beer, so it's kind of bland and a bit too sweet IMO. I kinda suspect it's kind of like Budweiser in that respect, though I haven't tasted that either (afaik).

I have to say, I mentally slapped myself afterwards when I realized I should have put USA Grolsch to the test when I was there early this summer.

Luna

Come back, then.   :p

Yeah, I am not a great cook, so when something comes out well, I get a warm fuzzy.  I hate cooking for myself.  I can enjoy cooking for a few people.  Cooking for you spags with Richter and leln was a blast, I had FUN.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."