News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

I used to do xxxxx so now I'm an authority on it...

Started by trix, June 16, 2011, 11:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

Warning, this rant is simply vocal masturbation. Also an attack on a forum member who is probably a moderator or admin or respected member or something.  Probably a ballsy move for a brand new member making his first topic and non-intro post I suppose.  Luckily for me, my balls hang to the floor, and more importantly, I don't give a shit.

To preface, once thing I often see from people who think they are smart (which, to be fair, everyone seems to secretly believe they are intelligent, regardless of evidence), is they often assume that because they have experience with something, their personal experience is not only typical of everyone, but makes them the authority on anyone who fits that mold, and forget that a person can only speak for themselves.

My case study in this rant, is a guy (I think his name was The Reverent Something or something, but that could be a mistake, don't care enough to go find the post in question) who made a claim I often hear from people, in a post somewhere, possibly a very old one, about pot heads.

This guy stated (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) basically his belief (as if it were fact) that anyone who smokes pot daily is a fucking moron or something, and that because he used to smoke a lot, he knows that a person who smokes often has a lower intelligence or something when compared to other people.

Ok, first, "other people" are generally so fucking stupid and media obsessed these days that compared to them my dog is fucking Einstein.  Second, speak for yourself, buddy.

I hear things like this all the time.  The general thought process behind it, regardless of specific subject matter, is foolish by itself, but in regards to something so seriously misused and misunderstood as marijuana, is outright retarded.  Now, I'm not calling you retarded, whatever-your-name-is, just the thought process that led you to make an asinine post full of generalizations like that.  I've seen other posts by that guy (yeah, I lurked for a couple hours prior to registering) that I agreed with and were generally pretty intelligent, if a little condescending (a trait often possessed by the intelligent), but this post was pure bullshit.  Now, I'm not saying this because I'm a daily smoker that doesn't fit his generalization (though, I am), but moreso because I know quite a few others that smoke like I do, in the responsible way I do (I did like his part about responsibility when using drugs, in fact), that also don't even come close to fitting his description.

I'm no typical pot head.  In fact, even the people I meet that are the very epitome of typical pot head, upon getting to know them better, always end up surprising me.  From my own experience, I don't believe there IS a typical pot head, just smokers with mild identity issues and too much TV making themselves appear to fit the stereotype.  I have long hair and a thick beard.  This makes me awesome.  How that's related to what I'm talking about, I don't know, but I'm starting to get bored with my own rant.

My point is this.  I work hard all fucking day long.  When I come home, I don't enjoy de-stressing after my day by stopping at the bar and/or cracking open a beer.  I make some munchies and work on open-source software or learn something new.  Or, I go to the nearby woods and climb trees and see how high (as in distance from the ground, no pun intended) I can get.  I don't smoke to the point of retardedness, I catch a buzz, and take hits as needed to maintain the buzz as long as I need to.  I've met more people who have a very similar smoking pattern to me, then I've met who stay high all the time and let it make them stupid.

Weed aside, my point is mostly about the thought process that led to the post, though I've mostly focused on the specific example of weed. 

By the way, I'm helping linux newbies in IRC at the same time as typing this up, so if my mind wanders deal with it or ALT+F4.

I see many people say things like the post this rant called out as an example.  "I once did heroin and got addicted so I know first hand that all people who do heroin are or will become addicts."  "I started smoking weed and it led to my crack addiction so I KNOW that weed is a gateway drug."  Or even, "I spent ten years in prison (or saw xxxx show on TV) so I KNOW that everyone that isn't super strong gets raped in prison."  Your prison was not my prison, dumbass.

Anyway my time is up and I have shit to do so rant over.  If this offended you, good.  Get some thicker skin, fucker.

- trix

(Edited to remove incriminating stupidity - god I was dumb back then.)
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

The Wizard Joseph

Plants don't make you stupid. Neurological decay caused by toxins might. Truths... now they have a way of making with the stupid. A lot.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You know, for just a split second I got my hopes up, only to have them dashed cruelly. Once again, they come out of the woodwork to gnash and fap over Roger.

Why is it never me?  :cry:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Maybe you have to step up your Horribleness. Quit being so damned demure and dainty, lay down a layer hateshit they can feed on. Like dungbeetles.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on June 17, 2011, 01:10:56 AM
Maybe you have to step up your Horribleness. Quit being so damned demure and dainty, lay down a layer hateshit they can feed on. Like dungbeetles.

Yeah, I clearly need to kick it up a notch or twenty.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Your Mom on June 17, 2011, 01:05:25 AM
You know, for just a split second I got my hopes up, only to have them dashed cruelly. Once again, they come out of the woodwork to gnash and fap over Roger.

Don't worry, Nigel.  I still think you're a complete fuckwad.   :)

:hugz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

So close, and yet so troll. Is sad. There's some talent in there, however misguided.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 17, 2011, 01:30:05 AM

Don't worry, Nigel.  I still think you're a complete fuckwad.   :)

:hugz:

Aw, thanks.  :)

trix

they?  I assume by they you are referring in a general sense to a certain group or type of people.  Which is no less asinine then the type of thought process my rant was about.  I represent nobody but myself, you ignorant fuckwad.  I am a singular individual, not a representative of whatever group or type you arbitrarily decided to string me with, based on a single rant in a section specifically for rants.  I did not "come out of the woodwork to gnash and fap" over anyone.  I decided that since I am new I should post some content and get something off of my chest at the same time.  If your reading comprehension was above that of a child, you might have understood the part where I specifically mentioned (multiple times) that my rant was at a thought process in general, and I was only pointing out a specific post as an example.

So there, your attention whoring was successful, and I have granted your wish.  Are you happy now, dickhead?

EDIT:
I should probably mention that I made this post under the assumption that trolling is allowed here, based on much of the posts I've read elsewhere on the forums.  I personally don't get riled up or offended from the internet (because, it's the internet), and if you do, well, be sure to make a long reply crying about it.  For entertainment purposes.

- trix
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Elder Iptuous

no.
yer a pretty common type that comes here.
in fact, with the number of posters just like you coming here over time, i wouldn't even say you pass a thematic turing test.
you're just a bot for all i can tell, honestly.

trix

Quote from: Iptuous on June 17, 2011, 03:11:19 AM
no.
yer a pretty common type that comes here.
in fact, with the number of posters just like you coming here over time, i wouldn't even say you pass a thematic turing test.
you're just a bot for all i can tell, honestly.

So I was bored, and your post didn't give me anything to attack you with, so I dug deeper into some of your past posts, and came to realize that I was unable to find anything even remotely controversial, disagreeable, or ballsy, in any of your previous posts that came up in my short little search.  And you say I fail the turing test?  Every post shown in the 'last bunch of posts' link on you has you pretty much agreeing to everything, apologizing for something, and throwing in a bit of mediocre wit or random pic now and again.  Grow a fucking nutsack, dude.

I would expect someone that says I could be a bot, to have shown some fucking personality himself.

- trix
Zen Without Zen Masters

Eater of Clowns

Oh snap he's an internet palm reader!

Ooh Ooh  Do me!  Do me!!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Elder Iptuous

:lulz:
oh no! an alpha male. 
i prostrate myself before your wicked lashing of my unfortunately agreeable nature.
:roll:

trix

Quote from: Iptuous on June 17, 2011, 03:49:43 AM
oh no! an alpha male. 
i prostrate myself before your wicked lashing of my unfortunately agreeable nature.
:roll:

One thing life has taught me is that assholes finish first.  Which is also the name of a hilarious book I read once.  I do try to avoid acting like an asshole, but I enjoy talking like one.  It amuses me.

Linguistically, I love the way you worded that sarcastic bit, for some reason.  Do you do creative writing, by chance?

- trix
Zen Without Zen Masters

Elder Iptuous

no.
i lack the requisite personality or nuts.
perhaps if you stick around, i could learn from you.  but i'm guessing, based on what i've seen so far, that i'll have to be a quick study.