Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Brotep

Triple Zero

Quote from: Brotep on December 16, 2009, 09:26:21 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

check out "Hard Normal Daddy"

E8 BOOGIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgn8QxYB6U (sound quality is pretty horrible btw, especially the crashes)

be sure to turn it up for the jaw dropping solo at 1:30

I have no idea if it's jazz btw, dunno what's the definition. But it is some guy doing absolutely crazy (and I assume improv too) stuff on his bass guitar, and I believe jazz has that too.

And uh, I can't really recommend the album "Do You Know Squarepusher", it's (IMO) one of the lesser accessible and more abstract and electronic albums, his older stuff is also more into the drum'nbass/glitchcore electronica [which are awesome in their own ways], but fortunately the newer albums (after "Do You Know Squarepusher") go back to the "Hard Normal Daddy" style bass guitar jams, but this time with a good dose of electronic bleeps and breaks too.

one more track, also with an awesome Chris Cunningham video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQUbE

AND ONE MROE BECAUSE YAY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-pyIezB33c
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Hard Normal Daddy is one of the albums I have on my phone.
Sometimes I listen to it on my way to work.

Also, in this vein, the Venetian Snares are good.

Triple Zero

I wouldn't really call Venetian Snares good like Squarepusher.

From VSnares I often get the impression he's just trying to make as much godawful noises in order to torture people's ears.

While Squarepusher, he does descend into the wall of sound noise once in a while, but he always does it for effect. After a proper buildup, etc. While I'm pretty sure VSnares must have thought to himself sometimes "wow people pay money to listen to this???".

Also I generally don't like Venetian Snares cause he was a complete dick to the audience when I saw him perform. After no more than 30-45 minutes of godawful earshattering (yay I paid for eardamage :-( ) audio turbopoop with hardly any structure or even recognizable bits from his albums--while drinking fucking Bacardi Breezers--or any performance at all (a tiny recorder, nothing more, I think he was pretending to twiddle some knobs cause there wasn't really much to the device to control), the fucking cunt had the balls to just sit down on the stage, behind the table-stand on which his recorder was still producing noises, with his back to the fucking audience, and light a joint. Cuz he was in the Netherlands, and you can do that shit, you know?

No, seriously, fuck Venetian Snares. I agree a few of his tracks are pretty cool, but after that "performance", fuck him.

Now Squarepusher, when my brother saw him live, at one point mr Jenkinson sat with with his legs over the stage, facing the audience, and started jamming the fuck out of his bass-guitar. Now that is cool.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 15, 2009, 09:54:08 PM
not that rock isn't wanking, but I'm amused that you could consider it MORE wanky than jazz.

:lulz:

Pick up Cream's Wheel of Fire, and listen to "Toad".

13 minute drum solo?  I'd rather listen to jazz.

AFK

For me, music either has soul or it doesn't.  It doesn't matter what the genre is.  What matters for me, as a music fan, is that I can feel that the musician is feeling it.  It's why I like a prog-metal band like Fates Warning and not a prog-metal band like Dream Theater.  FW, to me, has some soul to go along with their technical prowess.  Dream Theater is just trying to blow everyone away with music theory.  I think you can probably find bands in pretty much any genre where there is some obvious feeling and soul being put into the music.  It's coming from something inside.  It isn't paint-by-numbers.  And this is true for Jazz as well.  And I think it comes down to the fact that, for whatever reason, some musicians just can't tap into that.  They can play lights-out technically, but they can never get the notes and rhythms coming out of their instruments to have any kind of depth to them.  As a musician, I have the opposite problem.  I've got plenty of soul, I just need some better chops. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

If you got soul but no chops, play music that doesn't need chops.

LMNO
-started drums by playing punk rock for a reason.

AFK

I used to have chops.  Trumpet chops.  8 years of living in apartments with paper thin walls trashes that all to hell right quick.  Once you lose you're lip it's really hard to get it back.  But yeah, I know what you're saying. 

LMNO

I was a trumpet player, too.  9 years.  I switched to drums because I was much better at it.

Freeky

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 16, 2009, 02:22:16 PM
I used to have chops.  Trumpet chops.  8 years of living in apartments with paper thin walls trashes that all to hell right quick.  Once you lose you're lip it's really hard to get it back.  But yeah, I know what you're saying. 

I used to play trombone, way back in middle school and elementary school. I miss it...

AFK

You mean, you let it slide? 

wah, wah, wah......

Epimetheus

I don't get the comparison of rock and jazz to wanking. Isn't it obvious that all music is wanking?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 15, 2009, 09:54:08 PM
not that rock isn't wanking, but I'm amused that you could consider it MORE wanky than jazz.

:lulz:

Pick up Cream's Wheel of Fire, and listen to "Toad".

13 minute drum solo?  I'd rather listen to jazz.

point conceded :lulz:

also...

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 16, 2009, 02:12:25 PM
For me, music either has soul or it doesn't.  It doesn't matter what the genre is.  What matters for me, as a music fan, is that I can feel that the musician is feeling it.  It's why I like a prog-metal band like Fates Warning and not a prog-metal band like Dream Theater.  FW, to me, has some soul to go along with their technical prowess.  Dream Theater is just trying to blow everyone away with music theory.

THIS. I can tell when a guitar player is "getting it" or when he can just play alot of notes really fast.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"