News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

ATTN, ADMIN GROUP (and anyone interested)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 11, 2014, 02:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 13, 2014, 07:39:37 AM
My two cents, for what they're worth. He should have been banned with calling Nigel a negress. He has now also called Gogira a queer.

PD has always had a pretty narrow band of bannable offenses. If the admins discuss it and decide that they want to amend the rules to make puerile name-calling a bannable offense, that's up to them, but personally I feel like it's simpler to avoid expanding the list of rules and just use our already-available individual powers of not suffering a fool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 13, 2014, 07:34:01 AM
Blatant racism and homophobia. Both equally odious. Which one will be the straw that broke the camel's back?

(.<[{{{{{{{{{{{   :lulz:   }}}}}}}}}}}]>.)

{}
O
<>
[]
{}
O

<..- --. --. -.-. ---... -..-. -..-. --- ...- --. .-.-.- -.-- ----. -..-. ----. --.. .. .-- ....- - .....>

:lulz:
:lulz::lulz:
:lulz::lulz::lulz::lulz:
<<FNORD>>
:lulz::lulz::lulz::lulz:
:lulz::lulz::lulz:
:lulz::lulz:

http://bit.ly/1s9zZxV
<::>
http://bit.ly/1sOa1gZ

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

{無}

:horrormirth:
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 13, 2014, 07:51:31 AM
My two cents, for what they're worth. He should have been banned with calling Nigel a negress. He has now also called Gogira a queer.

PD has always had a pretty narrow band of bannable offenses. If the admins discuss it and decide that they want to amend the rules to make puerile name-calling a bannable offense, that's up to them, but personally I feel like it's simpler to avoid expanding the list of rules and just use our already-available individual powers of not suffering a fool.

Nephew Twiddleton

Granted. And you are one of the insulted parties and I am not an admin. I'm just pointing out my feelings on the matter.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Faust

That was the jist of the discussion we had. We even talked about the idea of a rule banning racist insults but no one was really comfortable with that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 13, 2014, 07:43:19 AM
In other words, if this were anywhere else, like a place of employment, her would have already been fired for a, and now he's done both a and b. Sure, it's an internet forum, not a place of employment, but harassment is harassment.

And who gets to decide when I am being harassed? You? Is it conceivably possible that if I feel harassed I might take it to admins myself? I can use the report post button. I can type the words "hey, this asshole is harassing me, can you delete his post and give him a warning?"

Or am I allowed the agency to go "meh, this guy's meaningless" and blow it off, and others the agency to jump dude's shit verbally for being a jackass, without resorting to admin intervention because some random underdeveloped dipshit was racist on the internet?

How about Gogira, does she get to decide whether she gives a fuck about some two-bit wannabe shock jock?

'Cause I'm gonna be honest here, I don't care, if I did care I could do something about it using my own big-girl typing fingers, and the idea that this kerfuffle is in any way about "defending my honor" is more odious to me than an idiot calling me a nigger.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on July 13, 2014, 08:01:25 AM

That was the jist of the discussion we had. We even talked about the idea of a rule banning racist insults but no one was really comfortable with that.

Yeah, it would be a weird direction for this board to go in. Too much gray area. And there are solid and legitimate arguments to be made for banning racist slurs, sexist slurs, homophobic slurs, and slurs against the disabled, but I don't personally think this is the environment where those kinds of rules are productive. I also think that PD has functioned pretty well for a very long time using our own individual opinions and arguments to shape the culture, and part of that culture is a very relaxed rule set when it comes to banning users.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 13, 2014, 08:01:55 AM
In other words, if this were anywhere else, like a place of employment, her would have already been fired for a, and now he's done both a and b. Sure, it's an internet forum, not a place of employment, but harassment is harassment.

And who gets to decide when I am being harassed? You? Is it conceivably possible that if I feel harassed I might take it to admins myself? I can use the report post button. I can type the words "hey, this asshole is harassing me, can you delete his post and give him a warning?"

Or am I allowed the agency to go "meh, this guy's meaningless" and blow it off, and others the agency to jump dude's shit verbally for being a jackass, without resorting to admin intervention because some random underdeveloped dipshit was racist on the internet?

How about Gogira, does she get to decide whether she gives a fuck about some two-bit wannabe shock jock?

'Cause I'm gonna be honest here, I don't care, if I did care I could do something about it using my own big-girl typing fingers, and the idea that this kerfuffle is in any way about "defending my honor" is more odious to me than an idiot calling me a nigger.

You can decide all you want for yourself, as can Gogira with all the big girl typing fingers you want. Sorry I found something offensive that you happened to be a part of.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 13, 2014, 08:12:18 AM

You can decide all you want for yourself, as can Gogira with all the big girl typing fingers you want. Sorry I found something offensive that you happened to be a part of.

I'm not bothered by you finding it offensive. That's your own call and you have every right to make it. It's the part where you were declaring it harassment. If you feel harassed by it, again, that's your own call to make. But I'm not comfortable with other people deciding whether I'm being harassed, given that it's subjective and my call to make.

Faust

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 13, 2014, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on July 13, 2014, 08:12:18 AM

I'm not bothered by you finding it offensive. That's your own call and you have every right to make it. It's the part where you were declaring it harassment. If you feel harassed by it, again, that's your own call to make. But I'm not comfortable with other people deciding whether I'm being harassed, given that it's subjective and my call to make.

To be honest, in your situation I would be insulted that people would think I needed defending against such a DINOSAUR of a troll.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Reginald Ret

Some of this shit is hilarious.

Also, I just remembered something!
This forum has an ignore function and it is fun to use!

Bye bye Pope Lecherous.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Regret on July 13, 2014, 10:32:32 AM

Bye bye Pope Lecherous.
Quote from: Pope LecherousI am apologise unconditionally
That keeps cracking me up.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Sita

How does the ignore work? This is actually the first time I've felt the need to use such a function on a site.
Think I'm getting old.

edit: figured it out.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: Regret on July 13, 2014, 10:35:57 AM
Quote from: Regret on July 13, 2014, 10:32:32 AM

Bye bye Pope Lecherous.
Quote from: Pope LecherousI am apologise unconditionally
That keeps cracking me up.

Your ironicisms are in simultanaeity  tragic and beatific. Keep fighting the good fight. You won't see Lecherous anymore

hooplala

I don't recall name calling or racism being grounds for banning, but maybe I missed something.

However, having said that, the big thing I took away from this thread is that Gorightly is a complete fuckwit, and I'm glad I hadn't already spent money on his book.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman