News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Dear Internet: How to get your dick wet without raping anybody

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 31, 2014, 01:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Well, I dont agree with MMMW's comment and tendency.

As to explain why I wrote what i wrote: while I was writing it, it was a light-hearted criticism as the tendency that i have seen that only women can be raped, that men de-facto cannot be raped, and that only people with penises can rape. I also wanted tried to make it clear it wasnt an entirely serious comment with the "/snobbery" on my part, which was indeed a bit of a snobbish nitpick of the OP.

While i still think my point has validity, the way i expressed it and in the context i expressed it was of bad taste, so, my apologies.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 03, 2014, 01:50:42 PM
....That doesn't change the fact that statistically speaking, women are more likely than men to be victims of rape, and men are more likely than women to be rapists. Talking about male victims of rape is super important, but it can't hijack every discussion about the problem, and it really can't be the response every time someone wants to talk about better models for consent and how to specifically teach boys to recognize and ask for consent....

Point, this is why im sorry.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Johnny on November 04, 2014, 12:53:07 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 03, 2014, 01:50:42 PM
....That doesn't change the fact that statistically speaking, women are more likely than men to be victims of rape, and men are more likely than women to be rapists. Talking about male victims of rape is super important, but it can't hijack every discussion about the problem, and it really can't be the response every time someone wants to talk about better models for consent and how to specifically teach boys to recognize and ask for consent....

Point, this is why im sorry.

Accepted.

MMMW

Just assessing the damage. Good job on a quick recovery and repair guys! Just keeping you guys sharp! :fnord:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMMW on November 04, 2014, 03:20:39 AM
Just assessing the damage. Good job on a quick recovery and repair guys! Just keeping you guys sharp! :fnord:

So I have a 15-year-old son who is both more clever and more socially astute than you are. How does that make you feel?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMMW

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 04, 2014, 05:29:05 AM

So I have a 15-year-old son who is both more clever and more socially astute than you are. How does that make you feel?

Relieved! I'm a purposefully retarded cyber avatar. I would fear for the human species if I could ever out wit them!

MMMW

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 03, 2014, 04:09:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2014, 03:22:47 PM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 03, 2014, 03:15:27 PM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on November 03, 2014, 01:10:51 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on November 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 03, 2014, 01:00:10 PM
I'm not sure this is a me problem...

I'm quite sure it is not.

It does appear to affect you/your threads in a disproportionate way. Unfortunately.

Q.G's awesome does seem to bring out a monkey response.  Or maybe it's a touch of Lewis' Law or #notalllmenz

Something about it seems familiar.

Ya think?

Woman brings up stats on rape, or anything remotely similar, at least one guy is COMPELLED to attempt to refute said statement, or start whining about "feminazis" (or just make unfunny jokes).  You can set your watch to it.

It's deflection. The idea that not raping people is a choice that can be made by following certain reasonable lines of thought seems to make some people uncomfortable.

And no. Just futile.

Rapists thinking reasonably...

Doktor Howl

Jesus.  Shut the fuck up.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMMW on November 04, 2014, 05:52:14 AM

And no. Just futile.

Most rapists don't think they're rapists. Much as you presumably don't think you're an asshole.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2014, 01:05:28 PM

Jesus.  Shut the fuck up.

I think that I'm just gonna unsee this idiot.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Junkenstein

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 04, 2014, 04:21:13 PM
NSFW: hxxp://www.ohjoysextoy.com/consent/

I know it's the wrong reaction but it's just so depressing that people still need this shit explaining to them. There's nothing remotely controversial or radical in the content, it's just a simple outline of how to act like a reasonable human. This shouldn't be a high expectation but once again, it appears to be. 

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 04, 2014, 05:40:10 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 04, 2014, 04:21:13 PM
NSFW: hxxp://www.ohjoysextoy.com/consent/

I know it's the wrong reaction but it's just so depressing that people still need this shit explaining to them. There's nothing remotely controversial or radical in the content, it's just a simple outline of how to act like a reasonable human. This shouldn't be a high expectation but once again, it appears to be.
Huh. I have the opposite reaction. I enjoy reading tips and guidelines that I wholeheartedly agree with, it makes me feel like I'm part of a group I actually want to be a part of.
Maybe this is a sense of community? I don't think I have experienced it enough to recognize it.

It is like reading a well written moralizing children's story (for example: The Tiffany Aching storyline in Pratchett's Disworld books). It doesn't feel like someone is telling me how to act or think, it feels more like someone is agreeing with me. And that is always a nice feeling.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 04, 2014, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: MMMW on November 04, 2014, 05:52:14 AM

And no. Just futile.

Most rapists don't think they're rapists. Much as you presumably don't think you're an asshole.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT POINT, and one that doesn't get much time. When people say "RAPE" and "RAPIST," for some reason, they think of some badly-costumed mime hopping out from behind a bush, clubbing a lady over the head and dragging her into an alley. That happens, of course, but it's less than half of the cases. And that's part of the reason the OP in this thread is meaningful.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DID NOT HOLD A KNIFE TO SOMEONE AND FORCE YOURSELF ON HER (or him) doesn't mean you can't be guilty of rape. Rape isn't even always a violent act. Sometimes there's a grey area, and that's the red flag: IF THERE'S A GREY AREA, DO NOT PROCEED.

Personally, I am loathe to consider myself a predator. I do not disrespect women, I do not cat-call, I think of them as people and not as objects. I am the last person who would ever rape anyone. And yet, I have had the opportunity to follow the advice in the OP! Multiple times! Luckily for all involved, following that kind of advice is something of a second nature to me, but it was still a choice.

That's why it's important to remind people that rapists do not, as a rule, consider themselves rapists. In fact the entire mindset that leads to rape can prevent such a self-identification, because in order to recognize a rape you have to recognize a victim. And rapists, both the violent forceful kind and the slimy opportunist kind, fail to recognize their victim. They don't see a person there, they only see an object. So it has to be repeated, and when it is derailed it has to be brought back in line, because when so many people lack the internal narrative that the people around them ARE FUCKING CONSCIOUS, it has to become a public broadcast. Not because it will fix the assholes who can't make the right choice, but because it will remind those of us who CAN make the right choice to DO SO.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.