News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Office Christmas parties, the cultural appropriation edition

Started by Signora Pæsior, December 14, 2012, 04:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on December 14, 2012, 06:29:27 PM
:horrormirth:

ohlord.  that sounds like something that would be in Japan or something.  is this something that would fly in general in NZ?  like nobody batted an eye at a stereotype themed christmas party?

Weeeeeeeeell, Mexico isn't as close to home. I suspect if we had a Māori-themed party and people came as, IDK, gang members or something, people would be a bit more up in arms about it... but there'd also be an alarming number of people whining about "political correctness gone mad".

Basically, people think we're way less racist than other countries (I call bullshit, but whatever)... and they think that gives them free reign to, um, be racist assholes.
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Richter on December 14, 2012, 04:52:21 AM
The Chi Omega Sorority just got a ration of shit for that sort of behavior.  Avoid all cameras so you don't even appear associated with it.

This was the one where people came wearing shirts that said "Illegal" and whatnot, yes? Pæs was telling his boss that exact story at lunchtime, and his boss comes back with "Ah, Americans. They always find the fastest way to be offensive. Even if they are right."

Cue :eek: faces from Pæs, and later me when he relayed the story.

Dildo Argentino

Our first gig is an office christmas party, on Wednesday. The band are all excited. Here they are, sans bass (me) and rhythm guitar (my young friend Jacob).

http://vimeo.com/51481575
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on December 16, 2012, 07:10:35 PM
Our first gig is an office christmas party, on Wednesday. The band are all excited. Here they are, sans bass (me) and rhythm guitar (my young friend Jacob).

And this has WHAT to do with the subject at hand?

Oh, yeah.  Nothing, except for the usual attention-whoring on EVERY THREAD ON PD.

Time for some more clean up tomorrow morning, I think.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2012, 03:42:28 AM

Oh, yeah.  Nothing, except for the usual attention-whoring on EVERY THREAD ON PD.

If I were the paranoid type, I'd call "have you seen my band, here is a link to my music" an attempt to get someone to make an AKK reference so holist can get all "BAWWW PEEDEE TROPES" or something.

Dildo Argentino

Well, that, and... er... that it's an office christmas party...

...which is being culturally appropriated by three kids, a youth and an aging failed artiste playing a sort of primitive power funk...

Apart from that, you're right. Nothing.  :lulz:

Patron Saint

Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2012, 03:49:06 AM

If I were the paranoid type, I'd call "have you seen my band, here is a link to my music" an attempt to get someone to make an AKK reference so holist can get all "BAWWW PEEDEE TROPES" or something.

Someone reminded me I once said "Greed is good". Now it seems it's legal. Because everyone is drinking the same Kool Aid.
Seek ye not enlightenment for the truth is the journey and the journey is the truth.

Remington

Our office Christmas party was at a comic club. The comedian ended up doing tequila shots with our CEO and making short jokes about my boss.
Is it plugged in?

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Remington on December 18, 2012, 05:37:48 AM
Our office Christmas party was at a comic club. The comedian ended up doing tequila shots with our CEO and making short jokes about my boss.

I missed this, but apparently my boss' boss' PA got really hammered and did her "Fat Monica" impression as a party trick.

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: holist on December 17, 2012, 05:54:27 AM

...which is being culturally appropriated by three kids, a youth and an aging failed artiste playing a sort of primitive power funk...

Cultural appropriation: I don't think it means what you think it means.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: holist on December 17, 2012, 05:54:27 AM

See . . . you ever put on a t-shirt that's a couple sizes too small and figure it works anyway? That's called stretching. So's this post. It really doesn't work. Find a better fit.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Signora Paesior on December 18, 2012, 07:21:05 AM
Cultural appropriation: I don't think it means what you think it means.

I see where you're coming from, but I think I was just being sloppy. In actual fact, this bunch of coders want to have a festive-season party, they are calling it a christmas party for simplicity's sake, but in fact are using it as an opportunity to enjoy (hopefully) a thrash-funk band with a bizarre age composition. The culture being appropriated for the purposes of the party is that of thrash-funk gigs, the appropriation is in fact being done by the coders, and not the band. Sorry.  :)

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 18, 2012, 08:48:41 AM
See . . . you ever put on a t-shirt that's a couple sizes too small and figure it works anyway? That's called stretching.

Oh, and there's silly me thinking that was called having the wrong body image... (by the way, I'm the other way inclined, I tend to put on T-shirts that are a couple sizes to large...)

And that stretching is what I do before I get out of bed in the morning?

Don't blame me, I is foreign.

:lulz: