News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Quick question about music preferences

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, January 16, 2014, 07:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

If you were to play an Irish music set in 2 months, or were forced to listen to one, would you prefer vocals/guitar/fiddle, vocals/guitar/accordion, or vocals/guitar/fiddle/accordion?

I ask because I've basically been booked for $150 the week before St. Patrick's, and need to figure out what would sound the best, and since fiddle and accordion fit the best, and Villager lives with a violinist and I live with an accordion player who's otherwise looking for a gig as a bassist.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

The benefit with the accordion, obviously is that he and I can practice every night until March, possibly to the annoyance to our housemates. The benefit with the violinist is that I've done Irish with her before and she's a quick study (this was after only one practice with her, my guitar could be improved):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5CsdiJyiT8

Pope Pixie Pickle

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pixie on January 16, 2014, 08:06:55 AM
guitar fiddle vocals.

keep it simple yo.

True, but I would really like to do a gig here or there with Juan Pablo. Especially because part of his inspiration for playing accordion is Irish music. He even composed a piece that was Irish as fuck. Like, if I did this gig with him, I would come up with a guitar accompaniment and insist on playing it.

Pope Pixie Pickle

cool!

maybe switch it up during the set? so there's a range of accompaniments?

like you are the tortilla chips and the accordion fiddle folks are dips?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pixie on January 16, 2014, 08:37:44 AM
cool!

maybe switch it up during the set? so there's a range of accompaniments?

like you are the tortilla chips and the accordion fiddle folks are dips?

The question was if Anarchangel or failing that I specifically could come in and play some Irish music, which I internally chuckled to. Even though we're all of Irish descent, even that Guido we give sticks to, it's just not something we've ever really gave a thought to. I only took it up because the bartender asked Pat (the other guitarist) if he'd play for St. Pat's but he had to work and I work part time (Loved it when I did it). So, I have no idea what that makes me, lol. I just know I play better metal guitar than Irish guitar because the rhythm feels weird handwise, but I sing good and can speak cupla focail. Actually, I prefer singing Irish but playing Metal, even though I apparently have a good growl and shout.

The banger in the mash?

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of a switch. Actually I wouldn't even mind leaving the guitar home and singing to fiddle and accordion. But that probably wouldn't do, would it?

Pope Pixie Pickle

keep the guitar for a few tracks at least.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

Vox/Git/Accordion.

Fiddles can get way screechy.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 16, 2014, 12:51:47 PM
Vox/Git/Accordion.

Fiddles can get way screechy.

Anything can be played poorly.   I find fiddles much more likely to get screechy in bluegrass than in irish celtic.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 07:40:49 AM
If you were to play an Irish music set in 2 months, or were forced to listen to one, would you prefer vocals/guitar/fiddle, vocals/guitar/accordion, or vocals/guitar/fiddle/accordion?

I ask because I've basically been booked for $150 the week before St. Patrick's, and need to figure out what would sound the best, and since fiddle and accordion fit the best, and Villager lives with a violinist and I live with an accordion player who's otherwise looking for a gig as a bassist.

Accordions are evil.  There is no scientific explanation for why they work.  Have you ever seen the inside of an accordion?  Even bagpipes operate on scientific principles (the wrong side of the tracks principles, but principles all the same).

Nobody outside of Wisconsin listens to accordions without entering a fugue state (Wisconsiners are always in this state) in which they may behave erratically or even dangerously.  It is both irresponsible and dangerous to use this "instrument" in a band.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

What, you'd prefer a zither or something?  That there's the work of some foul demon, a torture device only created to inflict pain.

tyrannosaurus vex

Guitar, vocals, fiddle. Accordian for the dancing tunes.
Also I dare you to add bagpipes.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 16, 2014, 03:44:38 PM
What, you'd prefer a zither or something?  That there's the work of some foul demon, a torture device only created to inflict pain.

At least it's based on physical principles.