News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Sheriff Arpaio Up To More Race-Based Hijinks (Read: Manslaughter)

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, April 21, 2010, 01:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/04/08/26230.htm

QuoteBy JAMIE ROSS

PHOENIX (CN) - A man died from a brain hemorrhage after Sheriff Joe Arpaio's officers refused to give him his anti-seizure medication and put him in a cell with a concrete floor and walls, his daughters say.
     The family says the Sheriff's Department knew of Joseph Phillippi's medical history because he had suffered multiple seizures when he was denied his medication during a previous incarceration.
     Phillippi had been arrested for trespassing and was taken to the Fourth Avenue Jail after he was found unconscious, shaking and convulsing in a woman's yard, his daughters say in the federal complaint.
     They say their father did not receive emergency treatment until almost an hour and a half after he suffered the seizure and slammed his head against the concrete floor. Phillippi had been prescribed Keppra, an anti-seizure medication, his daughters say.
     After Phillippi's seizure, officers "opted to accept transport within 30 minutes without lights and sirens" instead of seeking emergency care to expedite his release, his daughters say.
     By the time Southwest Ambulance arrived at the jail, Phillippi "was not oriented to place or time, was dazed, tremulous, and diaphoretic."
     According to the complaint, Arpaio's officers use a "quick release" procedure "to dump inmates with significant and emergent medical conditions so that any emergency medical provision would become the financial responsibility of the 'released' inmate rather than the county."
     Even though Phillippi was injured during his incarceration, Arpaio's medical staff "told the ambulance dispatch that this was a 'private' call, and approved the 30-minute response time" though Phillippi "needed immediate medical care," according to the complaint.
     Sara and Angela Phillippi seek punitive damages for wrongful death and negligence. They are represented by Joel B. Robbins and Anne F. Findling with Robbins and Curtin.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Requia ☣

So odds of anyone being prosecuted for what is, if I remember rightly, first degree murder, being prosecuted are essentially zero I'm guessing?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Iason Ouabache

What kind of asshole taking a seizing man to jail instead of to a hospital???
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 21, 2010, 02:35:58 AM

An asshole that doesn't want his department to pay the hospital bill.
Molon Lube

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 21, 2010, 02:36:46 AM

I understand that part of it. It's the beginning of the incident that doesn't make sense.

QuotePhillippi had been arrested for trespassing and was taken to the Fourth Avenue Jail after he was found unconscious, shaking and convulsing in a woman's yard, his daughters say in the federal complaint.

Who sees a guy convulsing in their yard and calls the cops instead of the ambulance? And why didn't the cop radio for an ambulance once he got there? I can guarantee that he had a medic alert bracelet on since he had problems with seizures before.
    \

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 21, 2010, 02:47:49 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 21, 2010, 02:36:46 AM

I understand that part of it. It's the beginning of the incident that doesn't make sense.

QuotePhillippi had been arrested for trespassing and was taken to the Fourth Avenue Jail after he was found unconscious, shaking and convulsing in a woman's yard, his daughters say in the federal complaint.

Who sees a guy convulsing in their yard and calls the cops instead of the ambulance? And why didn't the cop radio for an ambulance once he got there? I can guarantee that he had a medic alert bracelet on since he had problems with seizures before.

I don't know how things work there, but here, when someone calls 911, a police car, an ambulance, and a fire engine are all dispatched. Sounds like overkill, but it's to make sure the right people get involved, as the operator may not always be equipped with enough information to make the right dispatch. Sounds like maybe the caller just called 911, which is a reasonable response to finding a guy flopping around in the front yard, and maybe the operator assumed it was a drunk or a drug OD and sent the cops instead of an EMT team. Why the cops wouldn't have called an ambulance when they got there... well,  that's way more open for interpretation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Juana

You've got some nice rain over here you can move over there, if you like, Pixie. :)

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 21, 2010, 02:58:49 AM
Sounds like maybe the caller just called 911, which is a reasonable response to finding a guy flopping around in the front yard, and maybe the operator assumed it was a drunk or a drug OD and sent the cops instead of an EMT team.
Why wouldn't an EMT team be sent out to deal with an OD?

What the hell is wrong with this sheriff? It's pretty obvious what he's doing, even excluding race from the equation--what's preventing him from being nailed for this kind of shit?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Requia ☣

A) He was elected specifically to do this kind of shit.

B) Who the hell is gonna prosecute him, everyone in the area was elected by the same people.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 21, 2010, 03:47:25 AM
A) He was elected specifically to do this kind of shit.

B) Who the hell is gonna prosecute him, everyone in the area was elected by the same people.
The FBI started an investigation on him last year but I don't think it went anywhere.
    \

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hover Cat on April 21, 2010, 03:32:02 AM
You've got some nice rain over here you can move over there, if you like, Pixie. :)

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 21, 2010, 02:58:49 AM
Sounds like maybe the caller just called 911, which is a reasonable response to finding a guy flopping around in the front yard, and maybe the operator assumed it was a drunk or a drug OD and sent the cops instead of an EMT team.
Why wouldn't an EMT team be sent out to deal with an OD?

What the hell is wrong with this sheriff? It's pretty obvious what he's doing, even excluding race from the equation--what's preventing him from being nailed for this kind of shit?

Why wouldn't an EMT team be sent to deal with a drunk?

Yet, more often than not, the cops go out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hover Cat on April 21, 2010, 03:32:02 AM

It's Maricopa County.  He won't be nailed for this shit, because he was HIRED to do this shit.  He is the champion of hair-shirt punishment freaks everywhere.
Molon Lube