News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Cyberpunk

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, May 18, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

Quote from: Captain Swampass on June 24, 2011, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on June 24, 2011, 07:20:16 PM
For what it's worth, I think an animated adaptation in which the clouds are represented by static in the sky would look very, very cool.

But then you're getting all surreal. Which may or may not be good for a cyberpunk.

Bah! Genre conventions are for pussies!
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Da6s

Reading this thread means i'm watching Akira tonight.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cryo on June 28, 2011, 05:28:43 AM
Read all of the sprawl before attempting to understand what he meant.  Between him and Bruce Sterling, they have created a reality that isn't matched by today's or even tomorrow's technology, but for some reason, it's become a church of its own, much as Heinlein and even elron.  Really, I barfed a little in my throat reading this.

</first post>
</first troll>

Hey, if you know so well what it means, spill it!

Unless it's bad spoilers cause indeed I haven't read the other two parts of the Sprawl trilogy yet.

BTW doing some image searching for that quote yields a treasure trove of atmospheric industrial urban landscapes. Such as this:

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 04, 2011, 02:05:10 PM
Quote from: Cryo on June 28, 2011, 05:28:43 AM
Read all of the sprawl before attempting to understand what he meant.  Between him and Bruce Sterling, they have created a reality that isn't matched by today's or even tomorrow's technology, but for some reason, it's become a church of its own, much as Heinlein and even elron.  Really, I barfed a little in my throat reading this.

</first post>
</first troll>

Hey, if you know so well what it means, spill it!

Unless it's bad spoilers cause indeed I haven't read the other two parts of the Sprawl trilogy yet.

BTW doing some image searching for that quote yields a treasure trove of atmospheric industrial urban landscapes. Such as this:

Link?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I've heard Charlie Stross is a pretty good author, and some of the premises of his "20 minutes into the future" cyberpunk seem interesting.

I'm going to investigate further.

Da6s

In regards to the Snow Crash references earlier, has anyone read Diamond Age? How did it compare?
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

LMNO

It's a fairly good overview of how computer languages work.

No, really.

Doktor Howl

Cyberpunk:  Drivel for emo trekkies.

That is all.
Molon Lube

Cain

Oh, Dok, I'd been meaning to ask....concerning Jerry Pournelle, do I want to start with the War World series?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 06, 2011, 05:50:34 PM
Oh, Dok, I'd been meaning to ask....concerning Jerry Pournelle, do I want to start with the War World series?

Start with High Justice.

I'll write the list in chronological order when I get home and have the books in front of me.
Molon Lube

Cain

Cool, thanks.  I couldn't find the other thread where you discussed him, so I thought here would be as good a place as any.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Da6s on July 05, 2011, 03:15:42 AM
In regards to the Snow Crash references earlier, has anyone read Diamond Age? How did it compare?

Diamond Age was good.  Diamond Age was much less mystical than Snow Crash, and went "out there" in terms of what a screwball high-tech anarcho-tribal society might look like.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.