Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Wear the Trilby when you make the loan.
The Fedora is for when you collect.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Quote from: V3X on January 17, 2014, 03:18:13 PM
Wear the Trilby when you make the loan.
The Fedora is for when you collect.

Very succinct.  I like.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

This is the last thing many of you will ever see.  Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
So, as comparison.

Trilby:

Fedora:

Fedora: yes. And with that look, nobody's gonna fuck with you about it.

Trilby: holy shit, dude, absofuckinglutely NOT.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Upon further reflection, I'm not sure if I'm opposed to the style itself or just to THAT particular hat, which looks like it should be worn by some 80 year old guy with depends on under his khakis while he plays in the consolation bracket of the shuffleboard tournament down at the nursing home.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

I think the trilby can be worn well... here is Mrs Hoopla sporting one of mine:

She looks much better in it than I do.  But, that's true of everything.

(SHe would probably want me to point out, that I actually wore it out that night, she just plopped it onto her head for photo reasons)
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 17, 2014, 07:07:12 PM
Upon further reflection, I'm not sure if I'm opposed to the style itself or just to THAT particular hat, which looks like it should be worn by some 80 year old guy with depends on under his khakis while he plays in the consolation bracket of the shuffleboard tournament down at the nursing home.

Well, at least now I know what I'm getting you for Christmas.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 17, 2014, 07:10:06 PM

It's a woman hat, I think.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 07:11:16 PM

I agree.  For comparison, here is me in the same hat... it's clear she trumps me:

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on January 17, 2014, 03:41:15 AM
The fedora/trilby issue has been around for a while. Though LMNO can pull it off, from what I can see in the picture, anyway. Typically, the brim of a fedora or fedora-like hat (trilby, porkpie, pince-nez) should be proportionate to the wearer's shoulders. The issue with a trilby is that they can often been seen as juvenile, and really only look good on guys with no shoulders. Basically, making them the ultimate hipster hat. *shrug*

A while back my teenage daughter found infographics about it on Tumblr. It's like that thing that happens every summer when a new generation of 14-year-olds realizes that "Blister In The Sun" is about masturbation, and they feel very clever and go around casually letting on that they know, and making fun of people who haven't gotten it yet.

Only with hats.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 07:11:16 PM

Actually, that would be the Fedora:

QuoteThis particular style actually originated as a woman's hat, with the name Fedora coming from the title character of  Victorien Sardou's 1882 play, Fédora, played by Sarah Bernhardt in a fedora on stage. By the 1920's it had been adopted as a men's hat, and now is often associated with prohibition gangster culture of the 20's and film noir of the 40's.

http://hatbox.com/hat-history.cfm
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I can see how it could come across that way... I've always had a thing for hats, but this particular issue was never something I felt the need to point out before "fedoras" became vilified.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 17, 2014, 09:50:55 PM
Quote from: The Suu on January 17, 2014, 03:41:15 AM
The fedora/trilby issue has been around for a while. Though LMNO can pull it off, from what I can see in the picture, anyway. Typically, the brim of a fedora or fedora-like hat (trilby, porkpie, pince-nez) should be proportionate to the wearer's shoulders. The issue with a trilby is that they can often been seen as juvenile, and really only look good on guys with no shoulders. Basically, making them the ultimate hipster hat. *shrug*

A while back my teenage daughter found infographics about it on Tumblr. It's like that thing that happens every summer when a new generation of 14-year-olds realizes that "Blister In The Sun" is about masturbation, and they feel very clever and go around casually letting on that they know, and making fun of people who haven't gotten it yet.

Only with hats.

It's true-- fedoras are actually about masturbation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 05:24:45 PM

This is the last thing many of you will ever see.  Just saying.

:lulz: