News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Three school shootings today. America reaches new PR.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 10, 2015, 01:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It has to change. I am not sure that the change we need is outside of the schools.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 03:43:08 AM
It has to change. I am not sure that the change we need is outside of the schools.

Actually, it doesn't have to change.  People can get used to anything.

Meunster

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 10, 2015, 05:13:20 AM

I don't think this is something people can get used to. Everyone is scrambling to stop it in their own way, from gun control, to cops in school, and on some of the gun forums I've been browsing there are a few teachers and students discussing how to conceal carry inside school. Which is a stupid idea, that would increase the number of small argument fueled shootings, but I can see how when someone sees that no one is protecting  them, they'd like to protect yourself.
Poe's law ;)

Bruno

The first time Obama got elected, I was saying that we could expect to see an increase in activity by crazy people with guns, but I'm not sure if that's what this is. All the wacky antics of Oath Keepers, and people going out for ice cream armed to the teeth fit the pattern, but I haven't seen any evidence that people shooting up schools are mad about Obama.

On the other hand, Republicans are always talking about how much they hate them librul college professors, so I dunno.
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on October 10, 2015, 06:45:29 AM

I don't think this is something people can get used to. Everyone is scrambling to stop it in their own way, from gun control, to cops in school, and on some of the gun forums I've been browsing there are a few teachers and students discussing how to conceal carry inside school. Which is a stupid idea, that would increase the number of small argument fueled shootings, but I can see how when someone sees that no one is protecting  them, they'd like to protect yourself.

Which is to say, people are bitching on social media.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 10, 2015, 05:13:20 AM

That isn't really true, though. People can get used to a lot, as evidenced by centuries of slavery, but eventually the pressure of threat will reach an explosion point. If people can get used to anything, Black Lives Matter wouldn't exist, people wouldn't be protesting, people wouldn't be angry, and most likely, really, school shootings wouldn't be happening. Because whatever is pushing that pressure would just be something everyone had gotten used to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I completely don't buy the sexual frustration angle, either. While it's a very facile explanation, it isn't based on anything other than speculation and projection, and doesn't seem to have any historical analogues or really any other support whatsoever. I think it's about powerlessness, authority, and a sense of futility. I think it has something to do with the power and social dynamics inside schools.

Pergamos

I think that some killers have stated that sexual frustration is part of the motivation for them (that one that all the MRA's were crowing about who wrote those misogynistic manifestos being one example) and I think it is worth taking their word on that.  His writing made it clear that the sexual frustration was very tightly tied up with powerlessness though.  I remember being in school and feeling quite powerless and it looks like it has only gotten worse.  College wasn't so bad though and a lot of these shootings are happening at colleges.

minuspace

As a child, I remember one of my favorite July 4th fireworks was the diminutive burning school-house.  Though simply a ritual, there was something real about sharing that experience with others.  Grown-ups reminiscing about how much they enjoyed that when they were younger made me feel understood.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on October 10, 2015, 07:07:02 PM
I think that some killers have stated that sexual frustration is part of the motivation for them (that one that all the MRA's were crowing about who wrote those misogynistic manifestos being one example) and I think it is worth taking their word on that.  His writing made it clear that the sexual frustration was very tightly tied up with powerlessness though.  I remember being in school and feeling quite powerless and it looks like it has only gotten worse.  College wasn't so bad though and a lot of these shootings are happening at colleges.

I suspect you must be talking about Elliott Rodger. This article discusses his case with regards to sexual frustration quite well https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/201405/sex-madness-and-mass-murder-in-santa-barbara

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is certainly well worth noting that the majority of adolescents, male and female, are sexually frustrated, many well into their college years, making it in itself a wholly inadequate explanation, however compelling it feels from an "I can relate to that" standpoint. It also implies that simply not getting laid is enough to make young men into mass murderers, and I would certainly like to give men more credit than that.

On the other hand, loneliness, isolation, powerlessness and rejection on a more holistic level are far more plausible as primary contributing factors.

Faust

Are these increasing in frequency or does it just seem that way as there's been several over the last couple of weeks?
Sleepless nights at the chateau