News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Responsibility

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, March 25, 2010, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

(Alternatively titled: Oh, this is how we're doing it? Alright, fuck it. I can do that too.)

BAWWWWWWW!!1 MY LIEF IS SO HORRIBEL! ALSO FUCK YOU BECAUSE I'M UNHAPPY WITH MY LIFE!
\
:joshua:
/
FUCK! HOW DID THINGS BECOME SO BAD!? HOW DID I GET HERE?!

Through your own goddamn choices, that's how. You can choose to piss and moan about it. You can choose to be a passive-aggressive drama-whore. You can even choose to take your problems out on other people, but at the end of the day none of that is going to help you. All of your choices have consequences and the consequences don't fucking care if you don't want to deal with them or if you're incapable of coping in a reasonable way.

You're a fucking adult, deal with your problems. It's nobody else's fault. YOU made the decisions that brought you to where you are. Maybe you made some bad choices. It's OK, everyone does. Welcome to reality.

Shitty things WILL happen to you. People you count on will disappoint you. People will abuse you; maybe even try to kill you. This happens to all of us. When we deal with these events in a shitty way, refuse to learn from our personal tragedies, and treat people who aren't responsible for our problems like shit, it's not going to make anything better. In fact, it's only going to create new problems.

All the little choices a person makes in a day come together to form their environment. These choices can be so seemingly insignificant that we make them without even thinking. To the person making them, they might not even realize they're making them, but the consequences know all the choices we make, no matter how insignificant they might seem.

So, you can keep on doing what you've been doing. You can keep repeating the actions that brought you to the place you're at or you can own up to it and take a hard look at who you are and the choices you've made. You can start making connections to your actions and their results. Things that might have seemed insignificant to you at the time may have had profound consequences that you didn't see before. You might even learn how to stop repeating the behaviors that got you here.

Can you control the world? Of course not. The world can, and probably will, shit on you.

If you're smart you might be able to take steps to mitigate the damage when the world does shit on you, but the only thing you can control is how you react to the world. The consequences don't give a fuck about you, but that doesn't mean they can't help you. You can learn from the consequences and you might be able to transcend your horrible little monkey. You could even become self-aware one day like one of those new drones the military uses or a furby.

fnordiscordia

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 25, 2010, 11:41:37 PM
(Alternatively titled: Oh, this is how we're doing it? Alright, fuck it. I can do that too.)

BAWWWWWWW!!1 MY LIEF IS SO HORRIBEL! ALSO FUCK YOU BECAUSE I'M UNHAPPY WITH MY LIFE!
\
:joshua:
/
FUCK! HOW DID THINGS BECOME SO BAD!? HOW DID I GET HERE?!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 25, 2010, 11:41:37 PM
Through your own goddamn choices, that's how.

And we all know that people always know that they have complete information when they make decisions.

And nobody, anywhere has ever had an outside influence affect their lives without their consent.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Um, why are you replying to yourself?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 26, 2010, 08:28:49 PM
Um, why are you replying to yourself?

Because everyone else was ignoring him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Squirrel of Discord disapproves

We are born into a insane universe, with insane monkeys surrounding us, jamming stupid buggy programs into our heads.

We get older and more insane monkeys blast malicious code into our heads through media ans society.

We get older still and program ourselves, based on the shitty programs already there and any serious FUCKUPS that happened to fall on our heads.

And sometimes, when we get the rare chance... We fuck ourselves in the ear.

But yea, its alll responsibility and we just need to sack up and fix ourselves...

I'll tell the computer network that the next time some computer virus starts taking out systems. Bet that will work like a charm.

:?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nonono. I think you misunderstand. It's that when bad things happen, it's because the person they happen to did something bad, and they deserve it.

(This is how people who have privilege comfort themselves into believing that they're doing something right. It's like karma, or The Secret.)

People who are unemployed/underemployed, can't afford a nice home, don't have cars, or break up with their significant other have made bad choices, and they need to sack up and deal with it.

People are only ever annoyed or cranky with others because they're bitter about having fucked up their own lives, so there's no need to respect them.

If your life is perfect, it's because you're a better human being than other people. But other people don't really matter anyway... they're just pixels on a screen, only useful for lulz.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Shibboleet The Annihilator

:lulz:

This sloppily written pile of shit (thanks for making me waste 11 minutes of my life) was created for the sole purpose to determine whether or not Nigel was genuinely contributing content or just being a passive aggressive bitch.

Looks like I got my answer. Despite this thread being troll bait, it did have a valid point: You are the sum total of your choices.

You can make all the excuses you want, like Nigel is doing right now. You can be as passive aggressive as you want and write threads that try to garner your favor. You can try to make people who are calling you out on your behavior look bad.

or

You can put all your efforts into bettering yourself. You can accept responsibility for your situation.

As far as my life is concerned (thanks for asking Nigel), it's pretty fucking good after a lot of really terrible things happened. I never complained about them. I never looked for sympathy. I just looked for solutions and after enough searching I found them. I fixed my problems. I've been in situations similar to what you've described and worse. You can fix it. You can recover.

I've been through a lot of horrific shit none of you will ever know about. I've seen things in life that would ruin a lot of people for the rest of their lives. I've lost a lot. I got through it all. I don't want anbody's sympathy or their congratulations. I just want you all to realize that the only person that can make things better for you is YOU. You will fail. Bad shit will happen. You have to keep trying or you're just going to drown.

Normally, I'd take a proper shit on you Nigel but, to be perfectly honest, I don't completely hate you. I see promise in you. I think there is more than just a passive-aggressive self-righteous bitch in you. I think you might even be able to become a decent human being, but that's not up to me: it's up to you. I don't hate you Nigel. I can't fucking stand you and I think you're an awful bitch, but I don't hate you. I hope you're able to set yourself straight and start being awesome.

This message wasn't just troll-bait aimed at Nigel though, it was for everyone who read it (and I can see that a lot of people read it, despite the lack of replies). Think seriously about what I said. Your parent(s) were right when they told you you could be anything, but becoming something takes serious fucking effort and discipline. Set goals for yourselves and work towards them every day. If you are diligent you will accomplish your goals sooner or later. Don't give up, ever.

I'm off to pursue some personal goals now so you guys probably won't be seeing me much for a while. Better Things To Do and all, but I hope that whoever reads this thread takes something from it and tries to make their situation better.

If you don't help yourself, nobody will.

The world is not out to help you, you need to help yourself.

(edited for grammar)

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Reginald Ret

I can be anything?*
So no matter what i choose it will always be suboptimal(aka the wrong choice).
Thanks for demotivating me, asshole.

Now let's stop polarising and accept that your life is formed by internal and external influences.
like, your choices matter but so do everybody else's.

*Don't use untruthful absolutes when speaking the words your kids will remember forever.
They most likely will be gullable and take it as dogma.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You know what I thought about when I read the OP? Apart from it being obviously directed at me in part as retaliation for a thread that TTM thought was directed at him, which was inspired in part by his behavior, but was not directed at him but at a larger trend, I thought about other people here who are in a much more screwed situation than I am, and I thought about the broad brush he is painting people with who have made "bad choices" and ended up kinda fucked because they made decisions in the normal way, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Do they deserve to be between a rock and a hard place? Not in my opinion. Have they earned the right to vent their problems and garner normal human sympathy? Yes, in my opinion.

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 27, 2010, 12:56:20 AM
:lulz:

This sloppily written pile of shit (thanks for making me waste 11 minutes of my life) was created for the sole purpose to determine whether or not Nigel was genuinely contributing content or just being a passive aggressive bitch.
This message wasn't just troll-bait aimed at Nigel

Which is it? You can't have it being solely directed at Nigel and then try and say "also it's not just an attack at her" and pretend you were really trying to give us a motivational talk.
I'm left wondering why you're trying to justify what is clearly a personal attack, while also making a point of not caring if people think you're an asshole.

Don't think I'm siding with either one of you here, either. (Just so no response to this expects me to defend anyone else's point.)
I just think if you're going to be 'the only person calling Nigel out on whining too much' or whatever the fuck it is you're doing, that you should at least be consistent with that and not try and disguise it as "if you believe in yourself you can do ANYTHING!"

PeregrineBF

You're both correct and incorrect. External events happen, not everything is controlled by everyone. Controlling feelings is hard. Oh, sure you can suppress them easily enough, bottle it all up inside until one day you crack, but to really change the way you feel in response to a stimulus, that takes work. I can meditate to stop pain, change my heart rate, and stop the saccades of my eyes. Autonomic function control via conscious action. Yet I can't stop certain automatic thoughts I have. I can't change everything about my reactions at the flip of a switch. Sure I try, and I slowly get better, but it's taken years of work so far and I still have a damn long way to go. I've found the tools & accepted the effort it will take to change my life to be the way I want it. Not everyone has those tools, not everyone is capable of making the effort. To assume everyone can is arrogant. Even if they can many people need help, to deny it because "if you feel bad you just aren't trying" is asinine.

There's a big trend in modern society to say that everyone is equal. No one is less than anyone else, and we can all do the same things. Yeah, great, let's see a quadruple amputee run a marathon then, ok? "Oh, but that's a silly example" you say. Fine, it is silly, but so is assuming there is no difference in the control people can have over their own subconscious. Maybe not everyone can learn to control how they feel, maybe it's harder for some than others. Maybe Nigel isn't good at that (I don't know) and we should help how we can when she has trouble, because we're friends. Perhaps that would be a better path than attacking her for asking for help, for trying to vent. Maybe she doesn't want help, and if she doesn't I'm sure she can say so for herself. Attacking her for having trouble dealing with trouble is a rather asinine thing to do though.

So yeah, I think choices matter. I don't think they're everything. Sometimes a metaphorical bus comes along and makes a total wreck of you. Some things can't be avoided, some can't be corrected. If you think you are in control of everything, wake up, you're not god. If you think you're in control of nothing, wake up, you're not helpless.

Also, do you really want to feel good all the time? Pain has a meaning, it has a purpose, and there are some things where it is the appropriate response. If you can turn off your emotions all the time you're probably a psychopath. Sometimes you feel pain and need to share that feeling to let it decrease. And when you feel joy, and remember distant pain, the joy becomes all the sweeter.

BADGE OF HONOR

for everyone who read it (and I can see that a lot of people read it, despite the lack of replies).

Obvious trollbait does not require any reply.   :|
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Sir Squid Diddimus