News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Kindles = Hitler

Started by Iason Ouabache, December 10, 2009, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Behold! The Ultimate Godwin Ever!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-kaufman/google-books-and-kindles_b_380536.html

QuoteWhen I hear the term Kindle I think not of imaginations fired but of crematoria lit. And when I hear the term "hi-tech" I think not of helpful androids efficiently performing household chores or light-speed rockets gliding seamlessly through space but of the fact that between 1933-45, modern technology was used to perform in ever more efficient ways the mass murder of six million of my people. The instruments of so-called progress, placed in the hands of the modern state, disappeared six million Jewish men, women and children, into a void from which they will never return and in which a majority of them remain forever unidentified. This was done in the name of progress by means of technology for the creation of a better world.

The Nazis often were, by their own lights, well-intentioned idealists working for a better tomorrow. And their instrument was modern technology, aspects of philosophical and aesthetic modernism and the old religious concept of supercession implicit in the Christian notion of progress. Jews were outmoded, useless, they said. Most high level Nazis, like Himmler or Heydrich or Eichmann, did not feel visceral hatred towards the Jew. Rather, they looked upon them coldly as something that simply needed to disappear so that the new life could get on its way. And the means by which they sought to do so was first through a propaganda campaign that portrayed Jews, in Wagnerian terms, as a drag on the visionary energies and bursting vigor of the new Aryan man, and then by the implementation of this decision to eliminate Jews through ever more sophisticated state corporate and scientific technological means. And yet, during the war crime trials at Nuremberg, while Nazi Jurisprudence was tried and hanged, Nazi technological attitudes were not put on trial.

The victorious Allies did not mandate that technology, which had been turned to such murderous ends, must pass an ethical standard review from an international body, like a UN of technology. No such body of decision came about. To the contrary, even while the war crime trials of Nazi chieftains were in session, American and Soviet governments were recruiting high-level Nazis to their intelligence services, military armaments industries, and space programs. So that, while in jurisprudence terms Nazi social and political values were delivered a blow, the Nazi fascination with technology merged seamlessly with that of their conquerors: us.

That is why today we drive Volkswagens, which were invented by Hitler, and use space heaters from companies that may once have manufactured crematoria and why Werner Von Braun, the Nazi father of the V-2 rocket became an American space pioneer hero studied in public schools. Nazi Technology and corporate methodology was folded handily into American feel-good Capitalist culture. That is the very point of the brilliant satire, "Dr. Strangelove".

So that now, sixty four years after the Holocaust, the Nazi disdain for the book has become the feel-good Hi-Tech campaign to rid the world of books in place of massive easily controlled centralized repositories of book texts downloadable on little hand-held devices and from which a text can be dissapeared with the click of a mouse: in Nazi terms, a dream come true.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

AFK

You gotta be kidding me.  Really? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

I can see the concern.

But it doesn't have to be Nazis doing it.  PC advocates would love this, too.

Remember Huckleberry Finn?

*poof*

Neither do I.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 05:22:28 PM
I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.

And don't admit it if you do right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on December 10, 2009, 05:35:10 PM
I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.

And don't admit it if you do right?

Admit what?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Iason Ouabache

I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/76

I get your point. It's shitty that people have tried to ban it in various places but ebooks will make it easier to distribute content that was been deemed "subversive" or "harmful to the public". It's much easier to e-mail a PDF to a hundred people than to pass out a hundred dead tree books.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 10, 2009, 06:01:06 PM
I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.

I get your point. It's shitty that people have tried to ban it in various places but ebooks will make it easier to distribute content that was been deemed "subversive" or "harmful to the public". It's much easier to e-mail a PDF to a hundred people than to pass out a hundred dead tree books.

Unless Amazon goes in and erases everyones' copies when they sync up.  Which has already happened.

Chief Uwachiquen

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 06:20:18 PM
I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.

Unless Amazon goes in and erases everyones' copies when they sync up.  Which has already happened.

Only possible if you didn't save the copies to your desktop first.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 06:36:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 06:20:18 PM
I can see the concern.

*poof*

Neither do I.

Only possible if you didn't save the copies to your desktop first.

What percentage of people bother doing that?  Also, it's only a matter of time before they go diving into your desktop the way Microsoft does now.

Reginald Ret

yeah it's a fucked up world we live in.

one other thing
i don't get why they called it a kindle, isn't that what you use to start fire with?
It's like they told their customers how they were going to treat them (book burning)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

What they did was, they Nouned a Verb.

"To Kindle" is to start a fire; they meant metaphorically, as in "to excite, arouse or animate".

But yeah, poor choice, if you asked me.

PS - the stuff that you start a fire with is "kindling".

PPS - "To kindle" also means to give birth to rabbits.  Srsly.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
PPS - "To kindle" also means to give birth to rabbits.  Srsly.
So they were saying: if you see our product lying somewhere without moving it has mixomatosis and should be stomped on vigorously to cease the suffering?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

With new iterations of technology, I don't feel that this necessarily makes the old technology obsolete.
Books on paper will never, and should never, be obsolete.
Also Record Players, Typewriters, and VCR's aren't obsolete either.
I'm sure there are other examples, but those are my favorites.

Anachronistic technology is the best technology.