News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenpatista

Sorry to hear about all that Nigel. My oldest is 27 and happy and healthy.... now. Your post reminds me of when she was 16 and *surly*. Sometimes it got pretty grim. Hoping for the best for you and yours. Hang in there.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 07, 2015, 12:40:19 AM
So. So my oldest daughter and I had a fight.

Her: "Joss Whedon is such a baby, he deleted his Twitter"
Me: "Don't believe everything you read on Tumblr, it's full of bullies who shit-talk other people to make them feel better about themselves"
Her: furiously shit-talking me on Tumblr
Me: "Case in point, that right there"
Her: "What?"
Me: "Don't you think it's a little hypocritical, that you expect me to house you, feed you, clothe you, and provide you with internet so you can shit-talk me on Tumblr?"
Her: "I don't know what you mean"
Me: "I mean, I know you talk shit about me on Tumblr, but I don't go looking for it because I don't want to know. But right in front of me? Really? I can see that."
Her: furiously shit-talking me even more in a post I can see because I'm FOUR FEET AWAY
Me: "You know what? Get out. Get out of my house. Go spend the night at your dad's house. It's like it's never occurred to you that the things you say can hurt people. Or like you don't care. I'm going to the store, please be gone when I get back.
Her: Gone
Me: <heart is breaking>

Mostly trying not to not let Little Orange see me crying. I feel like a complete shit mom.

You're a amazing mother. She'll ask for forgiveness when she's about 21.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 07, 2015, 01:37:23 PM
One of the things I've found really interesting is how difficult it is to pinpoint the 'main character' in the Avengers movies.

According to my screenwriting lecturer, every movie that has a coherent narrative needs to have essentially one main character - maybe one main character per storyline, and if in doubt, you pick the person who changes the most over the course of the movie.

I can see an argument for Tony Stark in the first Avengers, but in the second? It doesn't feel to me like any of the characters change any more radically than any of the others.

But I'm prepared to accept that Whedon, as a real master of moviemaking and storytelling, can break the rules and still get a result that works where almost anyone else would struggle.

The villian is the main character.

Cain

Today I learned objecting to people fucking dogs makes you an "SJW".

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Metal Bear on May 08, 2015, 01:17:28 AM

Me: "Don't believe everything you read on Tumblr, it's full of bullies who shit-talk other people to make them feel better about themselves"
Me: "Don't you think it's a little hypocritical, that you expect me to house you, feed you, clothe you, and provide you with internet so you can shit-talk me on Tumblr?"
Me: "I mean, I know you talk shit about me on Tumblr, but I don't go looking for it because I don't want to know. But right in front of me? Really? I can see that."
Her: furiously shit-talking me even more in a post I can see because I'm FOUR FEET AWAY
Me: "You know what? Get out. Get out of my house. Go spend the night at your dad's house. It's like it's never occurred to you that the things you say can hurt people. Or like you don't care. I'm going to the store, please be gone when I get back.

Mostly trying not to not let Little Orange see me crying. I feel like a complete shit mom.

I also have raised no children, but your situation reminds me of the relationship my dad and I had only a few years ago. My dad was pretty old school growing up, but once I grew to see him as a man, with flaws and foibles, as opposed to an oppressive authority figure who yelled at me all the time, we got a lot closer. I even literally thanked him for the shit he gave me growing up that was actually useful. It sounds like you're a good mom, but you're daughter is just going through that part of adolescence where they're trying to process grown up things with a still mostly childlike brain. That's why her behavior is mostly emotionally driven, short-sighted, and self-centered. That should change as she enters her twenties, provided that Tumblr isn't her only means of socializing and she learns how real people work out here in Meatspace. Stay strong.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

minuspace

I really enjoyed all the /_/ltron talk, never got to see Ex Machina, yet.  Survived some hail and flash floods today, all while balancing on the tightrope of a significantly large "routine" disruption.  Overall good; difficulties logged under "team-building" exercises, even better.  This is my best apostolic.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on May 08, 2015, 01:07:41 AM
Sorry to hear about all that Nigel. My oldest is 27 and happy and healthy.... now. Your post reminds me of when she was 16 and *surly*. Sometimes it got pretty grim. Hoping for the best for you and yours. Hang in there.

I appreciate all the support, from everyone, but this is especially good to hear.

I also have to say, I am incredibly grateful to have a spectacularly level-headed son, who is navigating the trials of adolescence with a stunning degree of self-awareness. He essentially figured out that all this is going on and gave me a hug when I got home, handed me a cold beer, and then proceeded to talk to me about life, home improvement, and his plans for the future for two hours until I no longer despaired about my parenting abilities.

Maybe I don't suck as much as I felt like I did yesterday.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 08, 2015, 05:08:17 AM

Ew. And really? REALLY? That is the kind of shit that makes me question humanity, on every possible level.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on May 08, 2015, 05:24:33 AM
Quote from: Metal Bear on May 08, 2015, 01:17:28 AM

I also have raised no children, but your situation reminds me of the relationship my dad and I had only a few years ago. My dad was pretty old school growing up, but once I grew to see him as a man, with flaws and foibles, as opposed to an oppressive authority figure who yelled at me all the time, we got a lot closer. I even literally thanked him for the shit he gave me growing up that was actually useful. It sounds like you're a good mom, but you're daughter is just going through that part of adolescence where they're trying to process grown up things with a still mostly childlike brain. That's why her behavior is mostly emotionally driven, short-sighted, and self-centered. That should change as she enters her twenties, provided that Tumblr isn't her only means of socializing and she learns how real people work out here in Meatspace. Stay strong.

God, I hope she grows out of it. So much.

Freeky

Nigel, if I could send you a real hug over the internets (and you wanted one) I would. 

Freeky

So there's this card game I've mentioned I play.  It's an interactive storytelling based game, right, where the story is driven by the players, mainly in the form of major tournament prizes.  There's a thing that's going on in the story that is a major storyline development, right, that is driven by my faction, which is non-negotiable, at least for the beginning.   All the other factions have to decide how they're going to react to my faction.  Even my own faction has to decide if they're going to stick with it or not.  I am in favor of not, because of very deeply, very strongly felt connections to how they are now and reasons.  Everyone around me wants them to stick with it, because the game needs a good bad guy, or BIG DUMB MONSTERS ARE COOOOOOOL.  One of the people is a complete douchenozzle about it, despite his usually being cool about most things, because he has never had any respect for my faction as they are now.  This makes me feel like I'm going to throw up because I'm so sad.  At least my best friend tries to help me feel better about it, even though he is one of them that wants my faction to be all big dumb stupid fucking monstrs who aren't more than what they are, because why fucking bother I'M A BAD GUY.  I realize that none of you will understand what is going on, but I just wanted to vent.

The end, except for the fact that it isn't.

Demolition Squid

If it is L5R ... it probably doesn't matter.

I was hugely into it until the Ratlings won the major storyline tournament and were immediately written out of the next plot arc. Alderac will keep the story on the rails they've decided on regardless of what inconvenient players decide. It wouldn't bug me so much if they didn't claim otherwise.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Freeky

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 08, 2015, 10:05:41 AM
If it is L5R ... it probably doesn't matter.

I was hugely into it until the Ratlings won the major storyline tournament and were immediately written out of the next plot arc. Alderac will keep the story on the rails they've decided on regardless of what inconvenient players decide. It wouldn't bug me so much if they didn't claim otherwise.

They have a new brand lead, so they're really getting back into it, and having a lot of transparency about what, exactly, we have control of. 

hooplala

Quote from: Metal Bear on May 08, 2015, 01:18:53 AM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 07, 2015, 01:37:23 PM
One of the things I've found really interesting is how difficult it is to pinpoint the 'main character' in the Avengers movies.

According to my screenwriting lecturer, every movie that has a coherent narrative needs to have essentially one main character - maybe one main character per storyline, and if in doubt, you pick the person who changes the most over the course of the movie.

I can see an argument for Tony Stark in the first Avengers, but in the second? It doesn't feel to me like any of the characters change any more radically than any of the others.

But I'm prepared to accept that Whedon, as a real master of moviemaking and storytelling, can break the rules and still get a result that works where almost anyone else would struggle.

The villian is the main character.

See? Bear agrees with me.

:smug:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 08, 2015, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: Cain on May 08, 2015, 05:08:17 AM

Ew. And really? REALLY? That is the kind of shit that makes me question humanity, on every possible level.

Reddit is a horrible fucking place at times.  As I may have mentioned on Facebook, occaisonally.  Between the pedophile apologia, the racism, the sexism, the smugly insufferable atheist progressivism, the bizarre obsession with incest and the 3edgy5me commentarians, it's a pretty horrible place.

But even Reddit draws the line at dogfucking.