Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pope Pixie Pickle

yea, I get that.

I'm out if Uncle BadTouch is in.

hooplala

Quote from: CAKE on November 15, 2012, 05:44:59 PM
Quote from: Pixie on November 15, 2012, 05:37:41 PM
I mean, unless Dingo plans on challenging Uncle BadTouch on the paedo crap and giving him what for.

I'd be all for someone calling the asshole on his shit in person and filming it.

Pretty sure it's going to be a book, and all that would mean is that there will be a book in which the author calls a Discordian out for defending sexual relationships with underage girls, and then a bunch of other interviews with Discordians. And all of our names on it together. Best case scenario, our names are associated with a guy who defends sex with underage teens, worst case scenario, we all denounce him, thereby making the book about Uncle BadTouch, also thereby making him appear to be a central figure in modern Discordia, and further muddying the waters when future generations wonder whether it was all a huge joke that Uncle BadTouch put us up to.

That's why I just want to stay away and not have my name on anything he's involved with.

This, all of this, but especially the bolded part.

Not that he was coming to Canada anyway... they never do... sigh.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Placid Dingo

Repost from Facebook.

Regarding Reverend Uncle BadTouch.

My intention with Chasing Eris is and always has been "to document contemporary Discordia". I am not interested is writing a propoganda piece endorsing our culture (though if I didn't have personal reasons for valuing Discordia, I would not be, as I am, a Discordian), but rather presenting the whole spectrum of Discordia as it is. As a result I am not interested in cherry picking individual Discordians on the basis of whether they make the culture look good or bad. I am interested in letting those who identify with Discordia lend their voices to the project and speak for themselves in regards to their personal Discordia.

Uncle BadTouch is part of the community, and as the recent conversations have shown, has a large and very emotional impact on a number of Discordians. My interest is in presenting this tension as it is, not to cover it with a tablecloth and try to pretend that it does not exist.

I've spoken previously with individuals concerned that their name will be associated with Reverend Uncle BadTouch. My answer then and now was this; I am presenting contemporary Discordia, not publishing an endorsement. I intend to be emphasising the extent to which Discordians differ in their views, and will not be implying that any one individual speaks for any other. I am very comfortable allowing individuals to express personal concerns regarding differences of views within the community itself.

I will not be meeting Reverend Uncle BadTouch in person but I will be publishing extracts from conversations online.

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Don Coyote

your project your choice
but it is still kinda shitty door what little my opinion counts for

Coyote, eternally grateful that he isn't thatimportant in disoriented circles.

Eater of Clowns

I respect that decision, Dingo, and the integrity behind it.  I don't know this Uncle BadTouch person but you have to realize the implications of what you're doing.

1.  If you're looking to present Discordia as it is, then you're associating Discordia as it is with whatever this Uncle BadTouch dude supports.  If you have anybody who's looking at it for the first time, that might be the kind of thing that stands out when they meet future Discordians.

2.  By presenting a polarizing figure with such emotional impact, you are legitimizing that figure.  It's no different than the media broadcasting Rush Limbaugh's latest shocking clip - you're giving voice to someone who quite possibly shouldn't be given one.

3.  Even if you have a bunch of folks denouncing Uncle BadTouch, they are still going to be presented with him.  Consider the Fred Phelps analogy in the other thread - if he gets more exposure, more people will think he represents Discordia.

I know I'm not a part of your project, or at least as far as I know I'm not, but I'm not cool with the possibility I could tell someone I'm a Discordian and have them think about whatever shit some other dude is into.

Quote from: American Jackal on November 15, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
your project your choice

:awesome:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 15, 2012, 08:48:42 PM
Uncle BadTouch is part of the community,

Then I am not.

Even before those assholes just pulled that shit on my family.

If he's part of Discordianism, I guess I'm back to being a Subgenius.  I'm certainly not giving text, interviews, or permission of any kind to use anything about me or anything I've written, if it is going in the same book, film, whatever as that shitneck and his cronies.

EOS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 15, 2012, 09:15:53 PM
I respect that decision, Dingo, and the integrity behind it.  I don't know this Uncle BadTouch person but you have to realize the implications of what you're doing.

1.  If you're looking to present Discordia as it is, then you're associating Discordia as it is with whatever this Uncle BadTouch dude supports.  If you have anybody who's looking at it for the first time, that might be the kind of thing that stands out when they meet future Discordians.

2.  By presenting a polarizing figure with such emotional impact, you are legitimizing that figure.  It's no different than the media broadcasting Rush Limbaugh's latest shocking clip - you're giving voice to someone who quite possibly shouldn't be given one.

3.  Even if you have a bunch of folks denouncing Uncle BadTouch, they are still going to be presented with him.  Consider the Fred Phelps analogy in the other thread - if he gets more exposure, more people will think he represents Discordia.

I know I'm not a part of your project, or at least as far as I know I'm not, but I'm not cool with the possibility I could tell someone I'm a Discordian and have them think about whatever shit some other dude is into.

Quote from: American Jackal on November 15, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
your project your choice

:awesome:

I really should stop posting on my phone on the bus.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 15, 2012, 08:48:42 PM
Repost from Facebook.

Regarding Reverend Uncle BadTouch.

My intention with Chasing Eris is and always has been "to document contemporary Discordia". I am not interested is writing a propoganda piece endorsing our culture (though if I didn't have personal reasons for valuing Discordia, I would not be, as I am, a Discordian), but rather presenting the whole spectrum of Discordia as it is. As a result I am not interested in cherry picking individual Discordians on the basis of whether they make the culture look good or bad. I am interested in letting those who identify with Discordia lend their voices to the project and speak for themselves in regards to their personal Discordia.

Uncle BadTouch is part of the community, and as the recent conversations have shown, has a large and very emotional impact on a number of Discordians. My interest is in presenting this tension as it is, not to cover it with a tablecloth and try to pretend that it does not exist.

I've spoken previously with individuals concerned that their name will be associated with Reverend Uncle BadTouch. My answer then and now was this; I am presenting contemporary Discordia, not publishing an endorsement. I intend to be emphasising the extent to which Discordians differ in their views, and will not be implying that any one individual speaks for any other. I am very comfortable allowing individuals to express personal concerns regarding differences of views within the community itself.

I will not be meeting Reverend Uncle BadTouch in person but I will be publishing extracts from conversations online.

I choose not to identify with that community.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As long as you're interviewing people who have had an impact on the Discordian community, I hope you're also interviewing IANAR, AKK, and Poptart.

I'd think twice about participating if you were, honestly, because that's a little like telling a local community leader and activist you'd like to interview them because you're doing a piece on prominent people in their community, then splicing them in with interviews of random tweakers you found downtown. Insulting. If Uncle BadTouch is a prominent member of the Discordian community rather than a publicity-hungry coattailer, I'm not a Discordian after all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: CAKE on November 15, 2012, 10:19:24 PM
If Uncle BadTouch is a prominent member of the Discordian community rather than a publicity-hungry coattailer, I'm not a Discordian after all.

This is really the crux of my beef with the whole thing.  He's a snake-oil salesmen with nothing to sell.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Hoopla on November 15, 2012, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: CAKE on November 15, 2012, 10:19:24 PM
If Uncle BadTouch is a prominent member of the Discordian community rather than a publicity-hungry coattailer, I'm not a Discordian after all.

This is really the crux of my beef with the whole thing.  He's a snake-oil salesmen with nothing to sell.

So much this.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: Dingo kicked me out of the FB group. I guess I've said enough and he will harbor no more dissent.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Can anyone tell me whether he deleted my posts, as well? I actually was not done having that conversation with Fox, who I know IRL.