News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Nigel's Borneo Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 09, 2015, 01:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2015, 05:48:01 AM
Clownfish are terrible.  Finding Nemo was just pure propaganda.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm home now. It's been the longest day of my life, lasting from approximately 9pm Saturday night to 6 pm Monday morning, Portland time, with intermittent light napping.

I got in at 8:40 this morning and went promptly to my classes. Woot. Cell bio is gonna be hard.  may have bitten off more than I can chew with microbial metagenomics. We'll see.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I has an imperial fuckbasket of tireds.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2015, 02:03:52 AM
I'm home now. It's been the longest day of my life, lasting from approximately 9pm Saturday night to 6 pm Monday morning, Portland time, with intermittent light napping.

I got in at 8:40 this morning and went promptly to my classes. Woot. Cell bio is gonna be hard.  may have bitten off more than I can chew with microbial metagenomics. We'll see.

1.  Welcome home.

2.  Microbial whatsenomics?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 31, 2015, 02:07:11 AM

1.  Welcome home.

It's really cool! So, you're familiar with genomics, I'm sure... the study of an organism's genome? Well, a metagenome is the collective genome of a community of organisms, binned by function. It's seriously some of the coolest science I've come across so far, and has massive, massive ramifications not only for ecological and biomedical research, but also potentially for industrial biosynthesis.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is essentially taking one step back and looking at an ecosystem as a functioning organism with its own genome.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2015, 02:17:02 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 31, 2015, 02:07:11 AM

1.  Welcome home.

It's really cool! So, you're familiar with genomics, I'm sure... the study of an organism's genome? Well, a metagenome is the collective genome of a community of organisms, binned by function. It's seriously some of the coolest science I've come across so far, and has massive, massive ramifications not only for ecological and biomedical research, but also potentially for industrial biosynthesis.

I can grasp the concept, I think.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

HI NIGEL I'M GLAD YOU'RE OKAY I MISS YOUR DICK IN MY ASS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Selected pictures follow.'ll try not to be a total picture ho, but I got some good shit.

The journey:

Flight, departing from SF

The Alaskan archipelago

Siberia

WHAT THE FUCK, SINGAPORE?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Day 1 in Kota Kinabalu:

Hotel

Patriotism

Filipino district

Slums immediately adjacent to luxury hotels and malls

Self-explanatory

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The trip to Kalangaan:

The river at the start of the trip:

Three hours up a dirt road later, yep, that's the jungle.

Earthworm, yo

Wild hibiscus

Dry season riverbed. We cross it.

Leeches. We cross it.

The trail

More trail

Oh good goddamn, what the fuck are these

Oh hey, a giant potato bug

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Continuing the lengthy trek to Kalangaan:

Hi, small stickbug!

I still don't know what these are, but I ate some. For science. Don't judge me.

Bridge

Skeptical village chicken questions my intentions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In Kalangaan:

Skeptical village chicken don't give a fuck.

Chillin the fuck out in the living room

Dinnertime

AAAAAHHHHH NOSI YOU ARE COVERED IN BEES

BEEEEES

Diverting the river

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that tomorrow I will probably go to the doctor about the weird rash on my hands.