News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

The Weird: An introduction.

Started by Kai, March 08, 2011, 09:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Preface: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=28487.0

Since I don't think I defined The Weird well enough in my thread over there, I'd like to give a firmer definition for all our Doktors in the audience.

The Weird is any aspect of the universe that is alien to what we consider our normal everyday experience. This is similar to Horror, except horror is more of a mental situation while The Weird is a quality of aspects of reality. The two are closely linked in that The Weird can cause Horror. While that may seem it significantly limits the contents of the Weird category, this is not so.

In our current everyday struggles, we have become like the residents of the Axiom in the film Wall-E, forever staring at our little tunnel visioned television set, as the rest of the universe passes us by. It's gotten to the point where, if we become aware for a second, we discover that The Weird is EVERYWHERE, because our mindset has become so alien from reality that reality becomes alien.

My associate Dkr. Howl often speaks of the Coming Weird Times. My research suggests that The Weird Times are already here, that they've been here for decades! Furthermore, The Weird Times are caused almost as much by the dissapated awareness of humanity as they are caused by active human doings.

This is the cover letter for a short series of papers on The Weird, how to find it, how to embrace it, and how to share it, among other things. I'd like to also address in these papers whatever questions about The Weird that come up along the way.

Signed,

Kai, M.S.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Nice.

So, just to make sure I understand clearly, "The Weird" is what we use to label the alien-ness of something in the real world. By contrast, "Horror" describes a state that occurs in the human mind as a reaction to The Weird (sometimes). Is this more or less correct? Not looking to get bogged down in minor details/semantics, just checking.

Looking forward to more of this series.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I agree, its always been the Weird Times and the Strange Times... these days its just a bit easier to see the strange and weird.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Cainad on March 08, 2011, 09:21:27 PM
Nice.

So, just to make sure I understand clearly, "The Weird" is what we use to label the alien-ness of something in the real world. By contrast, "Horror" describes a state that occurs in the human mind as a reaction to The Weird (sometimes). Is this more or less correct? Not looking to get bogged down in minor details/semantics, just checking.

That's how I'm using the terms. I'd like to ask Dkr. Howl to make some remarks on Horror as opposed to The Weird here if I've misinterpreted his definitions.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Luna

The Weird is the Horror you can handle.  The Horror is the Weird you can't handle.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jasper

Quote from: Luna on March 08, 2011, 09:37:56 PM
The Weird is the Horror you can handle.  The Horror is the Weird you can't handle.

I quite like that summary.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on March 08, 2011, 09:27:19 PM
Nice.

That's how I'm using the terms. I'd like to ask Dkr. Howl to make some remarks on Horror as opposed to The Weird here if I've misinterpreted his definitions.

So the weird is the phenomenon, and horror is the reaction.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2011, 02:13:09 PM
Nice.

Do you agree with that, Herr Doktor?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on March 09, 2011, 02:48:49 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2011, 02:13:09 PM
Nice.

Do you agree with that, Herr Doktor?

Absolutely, Master Kai.  In fact, I am currently working on a way to produce targeted Weird.  For reasons that should be obvious, I will be posting this in OMF, rather than here.
Molon Lube