News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_and_Punish

Foucault begins the book by contrasting two forms of penalty: the violent and chaotic public torture of Robert-François Damiens, who was convicted of attempted regicide in the mid-18th century, and the highly regimented daily schedule for inmates from an early 19th century prison. These examples provide a picture of just how profound the change in western penal systems were after less than a century. Foucault wants the reader to consider what led to these changes. How did western culture shift so radically?

To answer this question, he begins by examining public torture itself. He argues that the public spectacle of torture was a theatrical forum that served several intended and unintended purposes for society. The intended purposes were:
  • Reflecting the violence of the original crime onto the convict's body for all to see.
  • Enacting the revenge upon the convict's body, which the sovereign seeks for having been injured by the crime. Foucault argues that the law was considered an extension of the sovereign's body, and so the revenge must take the form of harming the convict's body.

Some unintended consequences were:
  • Providing a forum for the convict's body to become a focus of sympathy and admiration.
  • Creating a site of conflict between the masses and the sovereign at the convict's body. Foucault notes that public executions often led to riots in support of the prisoner.

Thus, he argues, the public execution was ultimately an ineffective use of the body, qualified as non-economical. As well, it was applied non-uniformly and haphazardly. Hence, its political cost was too high. It was the antithesis of the more modern concerns of the state: order and generalization.[/list]

Doktor Howl

QuoteIn 2011, Victoria Jackson criticized the TV show Glee for showing a kiss between two male actors, calling it "Sickening", and cited the bible as her reason for making such a statement. When accused of being homophobic, Jackson countered that that was merely a "Cute liberal buzzword", and suggested that Glee should be replaced with a show promoting celibacy instead.

Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 07:45:49 PM
QuoteIn 2011, Victoria Jackson criticized the TV show Glee for showing a kiss between two male actors, calling it "Sickening", and cited the bible as her reason for making such a statement. When accused of being homophobic, Jackson countered that that was merely a "Cute liberal buzzword", and suggested that Glee should be replaced with a show promoting celibacy instead.

Silly Bitch.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Cain

Glee should be replaced.  Not for being homophobic.  For being a heartening unfunny message of self-actualization that comes via a stunningly insipid medium. These people find out who they really are by singing hits from Top 40 Radio. They find identity and strength in the lowest-common denominator. It's like looking deep within yourself and saying, "I know who I am, world, and I am proudly beige."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 21, 2011, 08:01:12 PM
Glee should be replaced.  Not for being homophobic.  For being a heartening unfunny message of self-actualization that comes via a stunningly insipid medium. These people find out who they really are by singing hits from Top 40 Radio. They find identity and strength in the lowest-common denominator. It's like looking deep within yourself and saying, "I know who I am, world, and I am proudly beige."

No argument there.  I'm just having fun watching Victoria Jackson assfuck the corpse of her career.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

never actually seen the show, as listening to even 10 minutes of musical theater causes me break out in hives, but this description was quite  :lulz:

Idem

It's like looking deep within yourself and saying, "I know who I am, world, and I am proudly beige."

:mittens:

Salty

:potd:

When pressed I could not explain just why that show is unwatchable, it was instinctual, instant. This explains it perfectly.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

http://gleesucks.com/ is, incidentally, one of the best websites in the world.

Not because I hate Glee (although I do).  But because they take apart and deconstruct each episode with much more care and attention to detail than the scriptwriters and producers of the actual program do.

Plus their tagline is awesome.

Dysfunctional Cunt

[/quote]

Is that a bow in her head?  Is she supposed to be a present?  Channeling Madonna's early years? WTF?

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

Quote from: Khara on June 22, 2011, 06:17:36 PM

Is that a bow in her head?  Is she supposed to be a present?  Channeling Madonna's early years? WTF?
[/quote]

That was her "signature" look back when she was known and noted.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Jenne on June 22, 2011, 06:46:26 PM
Quote from: Khara on June 22, 2011, 06:17:36 PM

That was her "signature" look back when she was known and noted.

In the 80's?  Please tell me that isn't recent.

Cain

I believe the political opinions of someone who didn't even learn to vote until 2000 should be taken very seriously indeed.

Jenne

She's not that "important" of a person--not even sure why the fuck she's on Fux News and the like--they probably just like having a d-lister make drunk-sounding comments to gather ratings.