News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

ATTN: Musicians and listeners

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, January 07, 2015, 12:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

The most important thing is that "Hotel California" by the Eagles and "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band are the worst songs. It's all uphill from there.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Pretty sure this whole post is Twid's passive-aggressive way of calling me out for being a Journey fan.

Real classy, Twid...real classy.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Ben Shapiro

I have no love for "indie" music.
Also you're a ok dude Twid in my book for hating Sublime.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2015, 04:16:04 PM
I'd probably pick Weird Al too.

What I got from the OP was that there is crappy music from all times but Twid was was willing to give the new music a fair shake, implying that Villager's best friend was not.

That's a big part of it, yes. You're touching on something that I still quite can't enunciate.

Another part is staying power, and enjoying novelty when it is done well.

Here's an example of a song that I feel very ambivalent about. On a purely combination of sounds level, I think "Sail" by Awolnation is awesome. I hate the lyrics though. Maybe you should kill yourself and blame it on your ADD? Um.... Yeah, have fun with that. But musically, it's really really interesting. It's different. It's got some good stuff there. So I listen to it when it comes on, and I go, cool.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on January 07, 2015, 09:59:19 PM
Pretty sure this whole post is Twid's passive-aggressive way of calling me out for being a Journey fan.

Real classy, Twid...real classy.

You're fine, as long as you don't karaoke it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Metal Bear on January 07, 2015, 10:00:46 PM
I have no love for "indie" music.
Also you're a ok dude Twid in my book for hating Sublime.

Well, the singers name was Brad. He wasn't lying when he said he didn't practice Santeria.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 08, 2015, 03:53:36 AM

What I got from the OP was that there is crappy music from all times but Twid was was willing to give the new music a fair shake, implying that Villager's best friend was not.

That's a big part of it, yes. You're touching on something that I still quite can't enunciate.

Here's an example of a song that I feel very ambivalent about. On a purely combination of sounds level, I think "Sail" by Awolnation is awesome. I hate the lyrics though. Maybe you should kill yourself and blame it on your ADD? Um.... Yeah, have fun with that. But musically, it's really really interesting. It's different. It's got some good stuff there. So I listen to it when it comes on, and I go, cool.

I suppose it's that the young can be just as closed-minded about music as an old person. But they have a different rationale for it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 08, 2015, 03:58:18 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 08, 2015, 03:53:36 AM

I suppose it's that the young can be just as closed-minded about music as an old person. But they have a different rationale for it.

They can be.

Usually the ones who are close-minded when they're young are also hella close-minded about music when they're older, because it's a temperament thing. They also tend to unilaterally declare music they like "good" and music they don't like "bad", casting themselves in the role of objective, timeless experts who are qualified to make these determinations for everyone about an experience which is not only inherently subjective, but also heavily dependent on cultural experience and context.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically what I am saying is that there is next to nothing that is not (objectively) douchey about the original post. IMO. It does not, to me, read as a complaint that you often ride with a friend who monopolizes the music and won't let you play music you like. It reads as an elitist whine that this young tart has taste in music that you declare by your authoritay as a musician almost in your mid-thirties to be objectively shitty, instead of music that you declare by your authoritay as a musician almost in your mid-thirties to be objectively timeless. Further, you seem to be drawing a divide between musicians and non-musicians in terms of who has the right to declare music good and worth listening to, and adding an extra layer of ageism when you talk about music "standing the test of time". Essentially, you seem to be declaring non-musicians under 30 fundamentally incompetent with regards to their musical tastes.

There just seems to be no way I can slice this bullshit thin enough to find the beef.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A lot of competent musicians my age consider Pearl Jam to have objectively stood the test of time, Twid. Think about that.

LMNO

I used to be an objective douche about music.  I can still wear the hat, sometimes (Zappa).  I think that changed with one simple life experience: I started hanging out with more gay people, and finding myself in clubs that play House Music, Disco, and the latest pop hits.  And enjoying myself. 

I still have preferences, of course.  And I do have strong opinions about certain musicians.  But these days, I can usually find something good in a piece of music, even if it's just the way it was recorded.

Except for the Eagles.  Holy shit, that band is an enormous pile of suck.

Incidentally, what's "Valium White Girl Music"?  Because it sounds really interesting.  Do you mean like Lourde?

Nephew Twiddleton

Fair points, Nigel. It does sound douchey.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 08, 2015, 01:14:21 PM

Incidentally, what's "Valium White Girl Music"?  Because it sounds really interesting.  Do you mean like Lourde?

Listening to Lourde now. Yeah, I think it counts. It was more meant to mock the idea of Angry White Boy Music.