News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

But WHYYYYYYYY is there no music on MTV?

Started by Cain, August 08, 2013, 12:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Damn. That's a pretty good breakdown of it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Um.

That was insanely awesome, and has actually changed my mind about who the evil fuckers are.

:lulz:

MTV isn't evil, it's just what we asked for, when we decided that stealing music was morally okay.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

It's not like artists should be PAID or anything. That's for people with Real Jerbs(TM).
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Its true that record labels are evil corporate entities that take most of the money from an album sale. But theres a reason for why they exist and why musicians sign even still. You know. Marketing. Tour funding. The lawyers for whatever lawsuit or criminal trial brought against you.

Random Probability

I might have mentioned before:

"Capitalism: If it feels like stealing, you're doing it right"

So about the whole "stealing" music thing... yeah...

(edit: I was going to rant a bit about services such as iTunes killing the age old recording industry's business model, but... meh.  who cares)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Random Probability on August 08, 2013, 08:47:27 PM
I might have mentioned before:

"Capitalism: If it feels like stealing, you're doing it right"

So about the whole "stealing" music thing... yeah...

(edit: I was going to rant a bit about services such as iTunes killing the age old recording industry's business model, but... meh.  who cares)

Business models change. 

But suddenly deciding that stealing is okay because it's easy, well...WELCOME TO AMERICAâ„¢.
Molon Lube

Cain

I actually think MTV's business model was changing before the large-scale adoption of filesharing, by the likes of Napster, became widely used.

But even if that is the case, that the business model for the music industry changed rapidly, they were going to become irrelevant if they had not changed anyway.  Like the video says - the internet renders much of their business model obsolete, even in the legitimate music market, with iTunes, Pandora, Youtube etc taking their place.

Incidentally, there is an MTV Music, which does nothing but play music videos.  Guess who the most popular artists on it are?

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually i have no problem with digital distribution as the unsigned musician gains a global market and a significantly greater percentage of sales. The problem is that they dont have the resources a label provides. Musicians themselves seem to be adapting well enough but the industry as a whole seems to have trouble figuring out how to make the whole thing work together.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Carlos Danger on August 08, 2013, 10:24:07 PM
I actually think MTV's business model was changing before the large-scale adoption of filesharing, by the likes of Napster, became widely used.

But even if that is the case, that the business model for the music industry changed rapidly, they were going to become irrelevant if they had not changed anyway.  Like the video says - the internet renders much of their business model obsolete, even in the legitimate music market, with iTunes, Pandora, Youtube etc taking their place.

Incidentally, there is an MTV Music, which does nothing but play music videos.  Guess who the most popular artists on it are?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

FUCKING BOARD HAS EATEN MY REPLY TO CAIN 4 TIMES.  LEAVING FOR A WHILE, TO GO PUNCH SMALL ANIMALS UNTIL THEY EXPLODE.
Molon Lube

Cain

Damn.

I hope these aren't the same small animals that power your work's internet.  Or else I ain't ever gonna see that post.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Carlos Danger on August 08, 2013, 10:31:57 PM
Damn.

I hope these aren't the same small animals that power your work's internet.  Or else I ain't ever gonna see that post.

My internet at work is PISS AND BALLS.  We have 200 people in our IT department, and all THAT accomplishes is that our password cookies reset every time we log off.  And the internet is 1/3rd as fast as the shit I have at home, which I assure you does not require 200 NECKBEARDS. 

Granted, I AM fucking off via the internet, and could easily do 99% of my job without it, but my sense of American exceptionalism is seriously taking a beating, here.
Molon Lube