News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

How to write

Started by Cain, September 26, 2008, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Several handy guides on this topic can be found at the below link.  If you are unfamiliar with bookchan, pdf files are hidden in the pictures, and you need to use a program like WinRAR or 7-zip to extract them.

Have fun now.

http://www.anonib.com/bookchan/index.php?t=328

nostalgicBadger

Or you could pull a Hunter S. Thompson and type out the Great Gatsby over and over again.
meh.

Kai

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 25, 2008, 10:51:46 PM
Or you could pull a Hunter S. Thompson and type out the Great Gatsby over and over again.

Or you could, oh, I don't know, actually learn the mechanics of writing (as an artist learns the mechanics of painting) and write something original.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Kai on October 28, 2008, 11:31:00 PM

Or you could, oh, I don't know, actually learn the mechanics of writing (as an artist learns the mechanics of painting) and write something original.

Which I'm sure you learn from reading "On Writing" by Steven King lol
meh.

Cain

Because of course, that is the only book there, isn't it?

Oh wait, you mean it isn't?  Well damn, thats you're entire point gone now, then.

hooplala

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 12:14:25 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 28, 2008, 11:31:00 PM

Which I'm sure you learn from reading "On Writing" by Steven King lol

You seem much more hung up on that book than anyone else here.  You're funny.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

hooplala

Yes, must remember to use lots of semicolons in my NaNoWriMo story; to give it that professional feeling.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

nostalgicBadger

You guys are ridiculous.

Srsly.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with reading people's advice about how to write - bear in mind that I am a writing grad student. I was simply adding that actively studying the work of writers you admire can help you become aware of technique and how it is used in practice, and it goes a lot farther in helping to develop rhythm (which, by the way, is why Hunter liked to type Fitzgerald books over and over. To listen to the rhythm. )
meh.

Cain

I wonder if How to Make Friends and Influence People had too few semicolons for nB?

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2008, 06:53:31 PM
I wonder if How to Make Friends and Influence People had too few semicolons for nB?

It could have gotten by on less, but they weren't too distracting.

By the way, what did you think of "Avoiding Double Standards"? Or did it disagree too often with your taste in genre fiction and political biases to be willing to acknowledge anything it said?
meh.

hooplala

Do you come here to converse, nB?  Or to impose your ridiculous opinions on others?

I'm seriously interested in the answer.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 06:56:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2008, 06:53:31 PM

It could have gotten by on less, but they weren't too distracting.

By the way, what did you think of "Avoiding Double Standards"? Or did it disagree too often with your taste in genre fiction and political biases to be willing to acknowledge anything it said?

You're funny when you pull opinions out of your arse like that.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 29, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
Do you come here to converse, nB?  Or to impose your ridiculous opinions on others?

I'm seriously interested in the answer.

Truth:

I used to come here to converse, but ever since I made some over-the-top post about why Philip K. Dick can't write worth shit and most of the active members decided that everything I say is automatically wrong - you must admit, it's a hilarious coincidence that people began to flame every post I've made immediately since that thread - I pretty much just drop by to fuck with you guys when I feel like procrastinating.

I feel kind of bad about the small handful of regulars who I do have some respect for, but I'm seriously convinced that I could have more interesting conversations on 4chan than with most of you. They have all the same memes, too, and their general disdain for all major political candidates is somehow refreshing compared pd's (homo)erotic obsession with Obama.

Holy shit.

Is 4chan more tolerable than you?
meh.

LMNO

Aw, it's just that it's so fun to fuck with you, and your whining, pathetic attempts at thought.