News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

High tech "primitive" sci-fi

Started by Buckaroo Banzai, October 11, 2013, 05:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 16, 2013, 02:53:20 AM
Hm. It seems the trick here is that they FOUND technology.

I'd hazard a guess that a culture that develops advanced tech would, in the process, lose their "tribality".

Roger, wasn't that a theme in one of your pre-Charley-fallout stories?

Tech that was advanced ENOUGH might actually encourage tribalism. For example, imagine a world where we take sustainability issues seriously, and as a result start focusing on food regions and local economies. Everyone's connected to the internet, everyone has access to fairly high levels of education, and the population has gone through a period of decline before stabilizing. What we might end up with is cities, surrounded by farmland, in which most people live, work, and attend school within their neighborhoods. A city would, in a sense, become a coalition of tribes, with each tribe recognizable by its neighborhood.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Buckaroo Banzai

I'd hazard a guess that a culture that develops advanced tech would, in the process, lose their "tribality".

Hmmm, I'd say not necessarily in regards to tribality being a transitional stage into a society like ours. That presupposes that cultural evolution somehow as an inevitable set end result. The society we live in today is really something of happy accident.
Entropy and optimism; the twin forces that make the universe go around.

Buckaroo Banzai

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 16, 2013, 03:08:11 AM

Tech that was advanced ENOUGH might actually encourage tribalism. For example, imagine a world where we take sustainability issues seriously, and as a result start focusing on food regions and local economies. Everyone's connected to the internet, everyone has access to fairly high levels of education, and the population has gone through a period of decline before stabilizing. What we might end up with is cities, surrounded by farmland, in which most people live, work, and attend school within their neighborhoods. A city would, in a sense, become a coalition of tribes, with each tribe recognizable by its neighborhood.

Indeed! I'd read the hell out of a story set in a world like that. While I'm not sure how likely this is it certainly seem possible to me. As an anthropologist I'd also argue that humans fundamentally drifts toward a tribal state and we subconsciously try to recreate it through social clicks, trends, nations, ect.

The Good Reverend Roger

Fuck if I know.  The only story I can remember from that time is the train robbers thing.

Or maybe the King Pellinore bit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I dimly recall that the aliens in the train robbers story didn't really know how it worked, because it was found.  Or something.

I'm probably mixing this up with something else.

Ah.  District 9, perhaps?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 16, 2013, 03:54:45 PM
I dimly recall that the aliens in the train robbers story didn't really know how it worked, because it was found.  Or something.

I'm probably mixing this up with something else.

Ah.  District 9, perhaps?

Actually, they didn't know how it worked because it worked so well that it never needed to be fixed.

So more like Pump Six.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2013, 04:02:04 PM
Uh, Firefly?  You had the Reavers, who were basically every nightmare of the "brutish savage" rolled into one, and some very uneven technological distribution.  It wasn't "primitive", but it was very frontier (which was, of course, the whole point).

Yeah, and that's as tribal as you get, story-wise, even if it's a western in space.

But the OP is looking for a "literary erection", so, you know, take it for what it's worth.

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2013, 04:06:03 PM
Yeah, I saw that.  I agree with the criticisms posted afterwards.

I don't think BB is actually an anthropologist.

Chelagoras The Boulder

This thread actually reminded me of a story idea i had: the concepts was there was a highly intelligent insectile race, with the intellect, drive and will to create advanced technology, but no concept of society. they are born alone, raise themselves, feed themselves, teach  themselves and whatever they create in their lifetime is ultimately lost, because it either goes unfinished or is looted by some other insect who wants their raw materials for their own project. Basically it's what a race of people would LITERALLY have to be in order to truly be everything that RUGGED INDIVIDUALISTS claim to be.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 16, 2013, 08:52:09 PM
This thread actually reminded me of a story idea i had: the concepts was there was a highly intelligent insectile race, with the intellect, drive and will to create advanced technology, but no concept of society. they are born alone, raise themselves, feed themselves, teach  themselves and whatever they create in their lifetime is ultimately lost, because it either goes unfinished or is looted by some other insect who wants their raw materials for their own project. Basically it's what a race of people would LITERALLY have to be in order to truly be everything that RUGGED INDIVIDUALISTS claim to be.

If they don't pass on their knowledge to others, they don't get past the "picking up a sharp rock" stage.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 08:53:16 PM

If they don't pass on their knowledge to others, they don't get past the "picking up a sharp rock" stage.
the way i pictured it, they function kinda like the Brain Bugs from Starship Troopers, they can attack other members of their species and learn what they know by eating the loser's brain. This triggers the insect's body to disintegrate, leaving an egg that will hatch into another insect, who will know only some of what their parent did.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Buckaroo Banzai

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:03:36 PM

But the OP is looking for a "literary erection", so, you know, take it for what it's worth.

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, I said "supple literary erection", I am no cretin, I have a collection of smoking pipes which receive intermediate use thankyouverymuchly

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:08:14 PM

I don't think BB is actually an anthropologist.
My degree and status as an unemployed person beg to differ sir

Buckaroo Banzai

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 16, 2013, 09:23:15 PM
the way i pictured it, they function kinda like the Brain Bugs from Starship Troopers, they can attack other members of their species and learn what they know by eating the loser's brain. This triggers the insect's body to disintegrate, leaving an egg that will hatch into another insect, who will know only some of what their parent did.

That sounds like a fantastic moral parable the likes of which old school Trek used to play with. A race whose existence is both fantastic and futile, who together could conquer the cosmos and leave a legacy amongst the stars if banded together but on their own are cursed with the Sisyphean task to reinvent the wheel. Would read