News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

When I was a kid, we all let the dogs out.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 30, 2010, 07:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

I meant that the act of running out into an intersection is retarded. And by retarded I meant stupid.

I know that kids don't/can't be expected to know better, hence the latter part.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Freeky

Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 30, 2010, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 10:06:17 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 30, 2010, 08:55:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 07:43:58 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 30, 2010, 08:29:40 AM
short version: no matter what, the culture of protection is totally fucking whack.

Depends.  Some of it makes sense (helmets on bicycles), and some is ridiculous (no tag on school grounds, to avoid skinned knees).

Please tell me thats a fucking joke.  No tag?  No wonder I see so many fat kids now, nobody lets them run anymore.
Do these schools just not have grass? We were told not to run on the blacktop (unless we were playing basketball or something) but were free to run around on the grass and wood chips.

What is this "GRASS" you speak of? Are they gray-brown, hard, and poky? We've got lots, if so.
And half crab grass, yes. Although in my bit of 1950s suburbia heaven, it was always semi-green except in the summer when the sun cooked the living shit out of it.

Green? Green... What's green? This is a desert, yo. We've got any shade of puke yellow and diarrhea brown you want, but I dunno what this "green" is.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nast on March 31, 2010, 01:38:29 AM
I meant that the act of running out into an intersection is retarded. And by retarded I meant stupid.

That's not stupidity, it's ignorance.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 31, 2010, 02:03:39 AM
Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 30, 2010, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 10:06:17 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 30, 2010, 08:55:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 07:43:58 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 30, 2010, 08:29:40 AM
short version: no matter what, the culture of protection is totally fucking whack.

Depends.  Some of it makes sense (helmets on bicycles), and some is ridiculous (no tag on school grounds, to avoid skinned knees).

Please tell me thats a fucking joke.  No tag?  No wonder I see so many fat kids now, nobody lets them run anymore.
Do these schools just not have grass? We were told not to run on the blacktop (unless we were playing basketball or something) but were free to run around on the grass and wood chips.

What is this "GRASS" you speak of? Are they gray-brown, hard, and poky? We've got lots, if so.
And half crab grass, yes. Although in my bit of 1950s suburbia heaven, it was always semi-green except in the summer when the sun cooked the living shit out of it.

Green? Green... What's green? This is a desert, yo. We've got any shade of puke yellow and diarrhea brown you want, but I dunno what this "green" is.

Bridge on Alvernon.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Nast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 31, 2010, 02:51:16 AM

That's probably the right term, thanks.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nast on March 31, 2010, 05:02:07 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 31, 2010, 02:51:16 AM

That's probably the right term, thanks.

I am going to go a step further and say that ignorance implies a missed opportunity to have learned. In children, however, it's a lack of teaching and/or a developmental inability to have learned, therefore it is naivete.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I'd also like to clarify that my responses ITT have been more in the context of kids that are, say, 8 years old or older. It seems fairly obvious that it's a bad idea to let the kids roam freely before they're old enough to have learned some judgement and decision-making skills.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

E.O.T.

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 31, 2010, 07:37:14 AM
I'd also like to clarify that my responses ITT have been more in the context of kids that are, say, 8 years old or older. It seems fairly obvious that it's a bad idea to let the kids roam freely before they're old enough to have learned some judgement and decision-making skills.

of the day

OR

spiritual guideline for the board

EITHER/OR/BOTH

you choose. i say yes.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Telarus

This leads to an interesting contrast.

When does an "individual young human" have a better survival chance due to learned skills and mind/body development than, say, a "pack of semi-literate 9 year-olds".......
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on March 31, 2010, 08:28:00 AM
This leads to an interesting contrast.

When does an "individual young human" have a better survival chance due to learned skills and mind/body development than, say, a "pack of semi-literate 9 year-olds".......

IME around 12. The mind changes a lot at that age.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

See, my first instinct was to say "pack of 12 year olds" but then I realized how dangerous that actually was and lowered my example, lol.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jenne

There are some 12 year olds that don't have the sense of a box of hammers, and there are some that you'd trust your life, your other kids' lives, etc. with as well.

Kids, like adults, differ according to experience, ability to learn and maturity level.  That being said, it's a good idea as a teacher and parent to expect a certain level of understanding and skill level by that age.  12 is good.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 30, 2010, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 30, 2010, 04:10:05 PM
I really don't agree with ECH. The 3-year-old who got hit by a car on my street because no one was watching him was no dumber/less fit than his older brothers who survived and reproduced freely and wantonly with various neighborhood girls... he was just less fortunate. Being molested by adult neighbors at age six doesn't make me unfit, nor did it teach me any valuable survival skills beyond those that cause me to keep a watchful eye on my kids... my experience taught me to keep them safe, ie. led directly to my own household's culture of protection.

What is with these imaginary grownups on the porches watching everyone? That didn't happen. They were inside, and they wanted us to leave them alone. Nobody was watching. That is my point. This culture of freedom we think we remember through the lens of nostalgia was actually a culture of carelessness. Dogs attacking kids? That totally happened, all the fucking time. A kid getting bit by a dog was a weekly occurrence. "It teaches kids not to mess with strange dogs", you might say, "It's a survival skill".

Bullshit. You can teach kids not to mess with strange dogs without letting your fucking kids and dogs run the neighborhood. Who thinks it's responsible, somehow, to just open your front door and let your dog out in the city? Sure, it's illegal, for one thing. But it's also just... careless. Not carefree. There's a difference.

So some moms are overprotective. Those moms in the "safe" suburbs... news flash; they've always been overprotective. There has never been a time when the affluent did not coddle their precious offspring. But most urban parents are not being overprotective, they're just not being as bloody fucking stupid as the previous generation was. Teaching the kids safety rules and sending them to the store in twos and threes starting around nine or ten, not putting them outside to play, unarmed with common sense or forewarned of danger, at five or six. Letting them walk to and from school in groups once they've demonstrated basic responsibility and awareness of the route, rather than taking them a couple of times and then sending them off alone to walk to first grade.

The old way was like throwing an unprepared five-year-old in the river to teach him to swim. The new way is more like taking them to the pool once a week until they feel comfortable enough with the water to try to paddle around a bit. Too soft, you think? Not primal enough? Well get off the fucking internet, walk away from your central heating and your car and your vaccines and your refrigerator, go outside, kill something with a rock and eat it raw.

Not all progress is bad.

I think we actually are mostly in agreement, since when I was a kid we were never just utterly thrown to the wolves to fend for ourselves without being taught some basic common sense first. Apparently I misunderstood the degree of protection that you were advocating. Or I may have been responding more to what seems like the typical histrionics of current-day american parenting rather than your specific point, I dunno. I still think the culture of protection is fucking retarded, but that doesn't mean I think kids shouldn't be given the tools to protect themselves however possible.
Seconded.

about biking helmets:

hmm i can't find what i was looking for(comparison between dutch bike accidents and american bike accidents compensated for population, bike usage(mileage for example). to see how helmet-use influences injury/death chances).
Oh well, here are some interesting statistics for the USA.
http://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm
QuoteAmong children and youth age 0 to 19 in 2000:
    * Head injuries accounted for 62.6 percent of bicycle fatalities.
    * Collisions with motor vehicles accounted for 75.7 percent of bicycle fatalities.
    * 61.7 percent of motor vehicle collision deaths were due to head injury.

another interesting one.
QuoteOdds of Death vs. Injury in Crashes by Vehicle
Vehicle                          Deaths    Injuries    Odds
Bus                                  17            17,000    1 in 1000
Car, Station Wagon          21,969    2,378,000    1 in 108
Pickup, SUV, Van          10,224    768,000    1 in 75
Bicycle                          813            58,000    1 in 71
Large Truck                  717            31,000    1 in 43
Motorcycle, Motorbike          2,106            54,000    1 in 26
On Foot                          5,307            77,000    1 in 15
Data From NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts 1997
It seems that biking is saver than walking.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: E.O.T. on March 31, 2010, 08:23:00 AM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 31, 2010, 07:37:14 AM
It seems fairly obvious that it's a bad idea to let the kids roam freely before they're old enough to have learned some judgement and decision-making skills.

of the day

OR

spiritual guideline for the board

EITHER/OR/BOTH

you choose. i say yes.
newsfeed?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"