News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Prism and Verizon surveillance discussion thread

Started by Junkenstein, June 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22793851

QuoteThe US National Security Agency (NSA) is collecting the telephone records of tens of millions of Americans, according to the Guardian newspaper.

The British paper published what it said was a secret court order directing the Verizon company to hand over electronic data on all its customers on an "ongoing daily basis".

Civil liberties groups said the details of the report were "stunning".

The US government, security agencies and Verizon have not commented.

The US Center for Constitutional Rights said it appeared to be "the broadest surveillance order to ever have been issued".

QuoteFormer Vice President Al Gore said in a tweet: "In digital era, privacy must be a priority. Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely outrageous?"

Two Democrat senators have been pressing the Obama administration to be clear about the scope of its public surveillance.

Last year, Mark Udall and Ron Wyden wrote to US Attorney General Eric Holder saying they believed "most Americans would be stunned" by the government's "secret legal interpretations" of the Patriot Act.

The White House came under heavy criticism last month after papers were leaked showing it had gathered the phone records of journalists at the Associated Press.

Nixon was truly ahead of his time, he just thought too small.

If you do it to everyone it's normal and ergo "Fair". Why these people are not funding googleglass and the inevitable competitors is beyond me. I would have thought such a device to be like all their birthdays, Christmases and various similar holidays come at once for them.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

What's interesting about this, is that it is targeting Verizon's business customers - not personal phone usage.

I've heard suggestions it may be linked to suspected Iranian hacking....but no-one seems to know anything.  I certainly don't think they're cracking down on insider trading, money laundering and fraud in the banking system, for example  :lol:

Junkenstein

Iranian Hacking? That's an angle I hadn't considered. Seems to be going after it in a really bad way if that's the case.

QuoteI certainly don't think they're cracking down on insider trading, money laundering and fraud in the banking system, for example 

Well perhaps they are. If I was running an unpopular cartel, I'd consider sacrificing the runt of the group for some public good-will.

Bilderberger is meeting this week too. It'll be interesting to see if a financial institution hits the rocks before the end of the year.

Not that any of these things are possibly connected.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

I asked some Obama supporters for their comments, Dok.  They said this is totally different to Bush, because Bush broke the law, whereas Obama used changed laws and statutes to undertake it.

I then asked them if ethics are determined by legality and I got banned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2013, 11:29:38 PM
I asked some Obama supporters for their comments, Dok.  They said this is totally different to Bush, because Bush broke the law, whereas Obama used changed laws and statutes to undertake it.

Yes, I am no longer welcome in democratic circles, myself.  My father and I enjoy a particularly ferocious disagreement on this sort of thing.

He's not HAPPY about any of this shit, but he feels he has to hold up the side, if you catch my drift.

A good son would respect that and leave the subject alone.  A bad son would take advantage of him having his hands occupied by holding up the side.

Dok,
Picked his pockets while he stood there and watched.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

I'm pretty sure this is the "change" we all believed in.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2013, 11:29:38 PM

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/obama-administration-nsa-verizon-records

QuoteThe scale of America's surveillance state was laid bare on Thursday as senior politicians revealed that the US counter-terrorism effort had swept up swaths of personal data from the phone calls of millions of citizens for years.

After the revelation by the Guardian of a sweeping secret court order that authorised the FBI to seize all call records from a subsidiary of Verizon, the Obama administration sought to defuse mounting anger over what critics described as the broadest surveillance ruling ever issued.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-intelligence-mining-data-from-nine-us-internet-companies-in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

QuoteThe National Security Agency and the FBI are tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. Internet companies, extracting audio and video chats, photographs, e-mails, documents, and connection logs that enable analysts to track one target or trace a whole network of associates, according to a top-secret document obtained by The Washington Post.

The program, code-named PRISM, has not been made public until now. It may be the first of its kind. The NSA prides itself on stealing secrets and breaking codes, and it is accustomed to corporate partnerships that help it divert data traffic or sidestep barriers. But there has never been a Google or Facebook before, and it is unlikely that there are richer troves of valuable intelligence than the ones in Silicon Valley.

Equally unusual is the way the NSA extracts what it wants, according to the document: "Collection directly from the servers of these U.S. Service Providers: Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple."

PRISM was launched from the ashes of President George W. Bush's secret program of warrantless domestic surveillance in 2007, after news media disclosures, lawsuits and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court forced the president to look for new authority.

Congress obliged with the Protect America Act in 2007 and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which immunized private companies that cooperated voluntarily with U.S. intelligence collection. PRISM recruited its first partner, Microsoft, and began six years of rapidly growing data collection beneath the surface of a roiling national debate on surveillance and privacy. Late last year, when critics in Congress sought changes in the FISA Amendments Act, the only lawmakers who knew about PRISM were bound by oaths of office to hold their tongues.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/

QuoteNSA slides explain the PRISM data-collection program
Published: June 6, 2013
Through a top-secret program authorized by federal judges working under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), the U.S. intelligence community can gain access to the servers of nine Internet companies for a wide range of digital data. Documents describing the previously undisclosed program, obtained by The Washington Post, show the breadth of U.S. electronic surveillance capabilities in the wake of a widely publicized controversy over warrantless wiretapping of U.S. domestic telephone communications in 2005. These slides, annotated by The Washington Post, represent a selection from the overall document, and certain portions are redacted.

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Q. G. Pennyworth

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/06/prism-by-the-numbers-a-guide-to-the-governments-secret-internet-data-mining-program/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040991/report-nsa-prism-program-spied-on-americans-emails-searches.html

Glenn Greenwald was the first one to release it, he was on Piers Morgan earlier saying he knows that he has the right and the obligation to report on what his government is doing and the justice department can pound sand. There is no amount of sugar or distraction that can get rid of this pit in my stomach.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

I just threw a bunch of link up in the Many Bloodsucking Insects thread..... We were probably posting at the same time, lol.

Quote from: Telarus on June 07, 2013, 04:07:42 AM
:: edit :: it's been merged, see above post ::
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Q. G. Pennyworth

Q. G. Pennyworth

Apple fought for five years, Twitter is still fighting. Skype didn't want to give in so MS bought them to bring it into the fold.

In secret courts. Because we don't even get to review the reasons the government thinks it's okay to violate rights anymore. Fucking fuckasspisschristshitfuck

Mesozoic Mister Nigel