News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Your vote

Started by Adios, August 02, 2010, 04:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: vexati0n on August 02, 2010, 04:46:06 PM
Most people are saying that voting is a civic responsibility if you're educated about the issue. Maybe there should be a short quiz at the beginning of every ballot just to make sure the person is qualified to have an opinion.

"If demand for a product goes up, the price of that product (a) increases (b) decreases."

"A 'Flat Tax' on income of 10% results in wealthy people paying a (a) higher (b) lower percentage of their income in taxes than poor people."

etc.

If you fail the quiz, your vote isn't counted.

Your flat tax question doesn't have the correct answer available (the same percentage, it's a flat tax) and the econ supply and demand one is tricky since an increased demand will often lead to an increase in production and less need for profit margin on each unit sold.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 02, 2010, 04:54:43 PM
I think it is a civic responsibility but I wouldnt' walk down the road of talking about being educated, etc.  I think it would be nice if more people would research candidates and ballot initiatives, but I'm not comfortable using election law to encourage, institutionalize, or mandate that.  Because when you go down that road, you invariably end up disenfranchising voters. 

I know that in WA absentee voters receive a pamphlet in which each candidate is allowed to put forth their platform in a page and each initiative or referendum is given a page by the sponsors to explain it.  These pamphlets are also at the polling places so you can read them while you wait to vote.  I was kinda shocked when I came to Ohio that they don't have these.

-Dok Howl

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

lol yeah we have like a back and front check list

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: FredleySneijder on August 03, 2010, 04:53:33 AM
lol yeah we have like a back and front check list

Yep, and I still haven't figured out how to write someone in on an Ohio Ballot.

-Dok Howl

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

hrmmm i havent tried...
i remember seeing a write in when you go to an actual polling station but not on absentee

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 03, 2010, 04:39:55 AM
Most people are saying that voting is a civic responsibility if you're educated about the issue. Maybe there should be a short quiz at the beginning of every ballot just to make sure the person is qualified to have an opinion.

"If demand for a product goes up, the price of that product (a) increases (b) decreases."

"A 'Flat Tax' on income of 10% results in wealthy people paying a (a) higher (b) lower percentage of their income in taxes than poor people."

etc.

Your flat tax question doesn't have the correct answer available (the same percentage, it's a flat tax) and the econ supply and demand one is tricky since an increased demand will often lead to an increase in production and less need for profit margin on each unit sold.

Obviously I can't vote then :(
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Placid Dingo

etc.

Limiting voting to the educated (or the self-percived educated) seems like a way for A LOT to go wrong.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cuddlefish

The concept of civic responsibility, surprisingly, came up in a convorsation last night. Many people think that "responsibility" equals hard work and massive amounts of effort, so they ignore their duty and "let someone else deal with it." (which is how thisn place got all F'd in the first place) I was telling them that we all have a responsibility to make sure that our government is providing us the services that we require. My capitalist friend asked me what the fuck I do to fulfill my civic responsibility. I told him that the convorsation we were having is the best way to exercise your power as a lowly peasant American citizen. One convorsation a day can be enough to spread ideas, and motivate people to exercise their brains a bit. Like I said, come to a concensus with active individuals, you can "multiply" your vote.

also, I blow bubbles.

brblbrblbrblbrblbrblbrblbrbl
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Apikoros II

Right on CuddleFish! As John Lennon said, "And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see". It was Ringo who said "brblbrblbrblbrblbrblbrblbrbl" iirc.
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

NotPublished

yeah forced to vote also, however Liberal scum will die

.. sorry I hate Tony Abbott
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

BabylonHoruv

I am amused by the fact the Australian conservative party is called the Liberal party.  I think it is because they are on the other side of the world and everything is upside down there.

-Dok Howl

NotPublished

Australia is just a long-running joke that never gets old :x
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 02, 2010, 02:16:29 PM
Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on August 02, 2010, 04:09:11 AM
Do you vote?
Will you vote?
If not, why not?
Do you think voting is a civic responsibility?
Do you think your vote matters?
Should Independent voters be allowed to vote in primaries?

Yes, Yes, N/A, Yes...

If it's a local election, then yes.  If it's federal, only partially.  I live in MA, which is solid blue when it comes to the electoral college (Scott Brown was more of a fucked up laziness on the part of the Dems, rather than a solid Republican win).  I do feel I can have an effect with third parties by at least giving them a high enough percentage to be recognized as viable the following year (if they get 5% of the national vote, they qualify for federal funding).  So while the candidate I usually like won't win, they will at least get my support, which can help.

Primaries are good because if we just went straight to the general elections, we'd have 5 Dems, 5 Reps, and then at least 5 Third Parties.  The third party candidates would get drowned in the noise.

I think it might be nice if independents could vote in every primary.  So the primary candidates wouldn't be forced to go extremist in towing the party line to win the primary, and then go running back to the center for the general elections.  I'm probably missing some vital element here, but I would hope it would make them at least more consistent.

My sentiments to a T.
As a side note, I'm registered as Green-Rainbow Party of Massachusetts. Which means some elections, I'm considered an Independent, since we keep losing and regaining party status. It is kinda funny though, a couple of times when they've looked me up, people have asked me what the hell J stands for (J indicates GRP MA)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 04, 2010, 02:15:37 AM
I am amused by the fact the Australian conservative party is called the Liberal party.  I think it is because they are on the other side of the world and everything is upside down there.

Our Liberal party is also a right wing conservative one.

Except that right now, Geert Wilders is making them look relatively quite sensible.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: NotPublished on August 04, 2010, 02:12:49 AM
yeah forced to vote also, however Liberal scum will die

.. sorry I hate Tony Abbott

I'd be expecting an apology if you didn't loath those swine.

Also the Libs are economically liberal, hence the name.

And Labour are pretty much conservative too.

I can't believe how depressing this election gets, and it only gets more pathetic daily.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.