News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Anyone interested in...

Started by Cuddlefish, October 19, 2015, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

So, even though I've been really busy trying to find a job and a home while trying to still move towards grad school, I've found myself with a lot of down time, so I decided to revisit a novel that I had been conceptualizing for over 20 years.

Basically, it is a post-post-apocalyptic existential sci-fi comedy set in a deterministic universe with a style characterized by its Douglas Adams/Dave Barry-esque tones. I have three novels and one short story planned, but I am currently working on the first, which will have many chapters over the course of five books. I have a solid first draft of the first book done, and I'd like to start getting some feedback.

If anyone has the time or interest, I can email you a copy of what I have.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

East Coast Hustle

I have some feedback without even reading it:

Don't describe it as "Dave Barry-esque" if you want people to read it.

(That's only partly snark.)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cuddlefish

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 19, 2015, 06:56:06 PM
I have some feedback without even reading it:

Don't describe it as "Dave Barry-esque" if you want people to read it.

(That's only partly snark.)

:lulz: I mostly put that in there to see if anyone even remembered him.

President Television

Free reading material and license to be a dick about it? I'm down for that. I'll PM you my email address.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would be all over this if I had time to read for pleasure right now!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cuddlefish

So, I'll still send out copies to anyone who wants to read it, but I'm going to take another day or two to polish up what I have, and maybe get a little further in the narrative. The beginning is intentionally misleading, so it might be better for me to get a little further in before asking for feedback. In the meantime, pm me your email addresses, because I don't think I have them for any of you.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Sounds awesome!

I'm not a particularly well-read sci-fi nerd, but I am a fan nonetheless. So if there are anything besides completely obvious references to other sci-fi I won't get them, but it's not your fault.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cuddlefish

Ok, I sent out a few copies. I started feeling a little unsure about it, so I want to get some feedback from a few people before I send it out en masse. So, if you didn't get a copy, I'm either waiting for initial feedback from others first, or I don't have your email (mostly looking at Roger and Waffles on this latter point).

Cuddlefish

Didn't necessarily want to bump this (a thread about someone's "novel that they've been working on" is a little embarrassing to have floating around the front page). But, a friend of mine who has read pretty much every book ever gave me my first piece of feedback.

I quote: "...Yours is one of the strangest books I've ever read."

I'll take it.

Anyhow, if anyone is planning on looking it over, there is an updated draft with about twice the content of the last one I sent out. Just let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, I will refrain from bumping this topic.

Cain

I'll take it.  Not that I've had the time so far to read it, but, well, my weekend is coming up...

Freeky

BUMPING.  GIVE ME, GIVE ME, TELL ME NOT OF FEAR!

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on December 04, 2015, 07:59:04 AM
BUMPING.  GIVE ME, GIVE ME, TELL ME NOT OF FEAR!

Give me a few days. I'm at a particularly difficult chapter to write (I have to incorporate some backstory, so I have to make sure everything is problem-free and presented properly, with style) but once I'm past that milestone, I'll send you a copy. Mind you, It's currently at over 35000 words. It's quite a bit to look at, so I'd understand if you didn't have the time. (Though, it would be nice to get some feedback from some of you spags, BUT NO PRESSURE  :fnord: )

Freeky

Ain't scared of no 35k words. 

Plus it'll give me something new to read.