News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: 50 Shades of Chronic Liver Disease

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 16, 2014, 02:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 15, 2014, 06:53:43 PM
Yay, Alty!

Is Roger finally going to be joining the Kult of Macintosh?

Damn skippy.  I am never, ever again buying ANYTHING made by HP or Microsoft.

I am typing this on an 8-year-old Mac Mini that cost $500 and still basically does what I need it to do, despite the fact that the hardware is so old I can't upgrade any of the software.

I bought a brand-new touch-screen notebook, thinking it would be great, but Windows 8 so I almost never use it, unless I'm backed into some kind of corner. It's slow and horrible and difficult to use.

Yeah, I'm thinking a Mac.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

This looks like an interesting addition to my resume.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/help-transcribe-diaries-first-world-war-180950125/?no-ist

Transcribing war diaries from World War I. Volunteer work, entirely online, but an interesting way to be a bit more hands-on with world history while helping researchers.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on April 16, 2014, 03:11:48 PM
This looks like an interesting addition to my resume.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/help-transcribe-diaries-first-world-war-180950125/?no-ist

Transcribing war diaries from World War I. Volunteer work, entirely online, but an interesting way to be a bit more hands-on with world history while helping researchers.

That's kind of awesome, especially given that the 100th anniversary is coming up.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 02:18:47 PM
Yay, Alty!

I am typing this on an 8-year-old Mac Mini that cost $500 and still basically does what I need it to do, despite the fact that the hardware is so old I can't upgrade any of the software.

I bought a brand-new touch-screen notebook, thinking it would be great, but Windows 8 so I almost never use it, unless I'm backed into some kind of corner. It's slow and horrible and difficult to use.

What are you using the machine for? You may regret moving to the mac if you've never used one routinely before. A mac is fine for home browsing but you play the occasional game don't you? I've been using a mac for home use for the last decade but when this laptop dies I'll be moving back to windows or linux.

Windows 8 is a no go but windows 7 is still an excellent OS
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on April 16, 2014, 03:31:48 PM
Yay, Alty!

What are you using the machine for? You may regret moving to the mac if you've never used one routinely before. A mac is fine for home browsing but you play the occasional game don't you? I've been using a mac for home use for the last decade but when this laptop dies I'll be moving back to windows or linux.

I play Civ V, but honestly, I could live without it (and have more time).  If I can look at PDFs and use a word processor and the interbutts, I have what I need.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: Faust on April 16, 2014, 03:31:48 PM
Yay, Alty!

I play Civ V, but honestly, I could live without it (and have more time).  If I can look at PDFs and use a word processor and the interbutts, I have what I need.

Then you should be ok. Word for mac isn't the nicest. It's own alternative Pages is better but if all you are looking for is writing text and not worrying too much about formatting etc then pretty much anything will do.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Pages is much better than I rember a Mac word processing program previously being.  But I also use GoogleDocs, so there's that.

hooplala

I've been using Macs for so long that when I am sat in front of a PC, I tend to spend at least 30ish minutes poking at it like a drunk chimp.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

A week from today, I start my 30 hour train ride to Kansas City. Bizarre. I'm INSANE.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on April 16, 2014, 04:37:02 PM
A week from today, I start my 30 hour train ride to Kansas City. Bizarre. I'm INSANE.

Trains have outlets in them, so at least you can charge your electronics.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 04:43:11 PM

So do coach buses now, as well as free wi-fi, but airplanes do not.

I've never taken the train further south than NYC, so this is going to be something else. But it was cheaper than flying, and, well, I can't really think of any other way for a bitchy New Englander to travel west. Trains have bars, I should be fine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on April 16, 2014, 05:13:38 PM

I've never taken the train further south than NYC, so this is going to be something else. But it was cheaper than flying, and, well, I can't really think of any other way for a bitchy New Englander to travel west. Trains have bars, I should be fine.

Airplanes have wifi.  It was available during my trip to Providence.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: The Suu on April 16, 2014, 05:13:38 PM

Airplanes have wifi.  It was available during my trip to Providence.

True, depending on the airline and distance of the flight.

My computer or interbutts are running like ass today, so I'm off to do some actual work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Why are you going to the middle of the US?
Isn't that where despair, boredom, and tornadoes are born?

Squid- knows nothing of these places

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 16, 2014, 06:41:19 PM

Why are you going to the middle of the US?
Isn't that where despair, boredom, and tornadoes are born?

Squid- knows nothing of these places

Doing presentations on historical clothing at a convention in Independence, the next city over. Yes, it's early tornado season, but they're still getting snow so we should be okay.

Also: Barbecue.

The first half of the ride is going to be filled with lovely scenery of the Appalachians, large Eastern cities, and a layover in Chicago.

...Then I cross the Mississippi and expect to see lots of corn.