News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Hooray for Santa Claus

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, December 24, 2012, 06:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Stories of Santa Claus, along with similar mythic figures such as the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, have an enormous positive influence to bestow upon our society; or, rather, the rite of passage of finding out that they don't exist does. Many important life lessons are thereby bestowed when things work out in a positive manner: "Don't trust authority figures", "Don't trust the media", "Don't believe claims of magic or miracles or the supernatural", "if something seems too good to be true it probably is",and so on

Like a cowpox infection that inoculates one against future infections with smallpox, handled properly (or fortuitously) belief in Santa Claus and the subsequent dissolution of this belef can inoculate one against future belief in the the supernatural, future belief in authority figures' explanations andexcuses future belief in messages saturated in the media, et cetera. 

Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are especially important because their association with Christmas and Easter provide a mental bridge to doubt of the similarly fantastic stories promulgated by the church
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Nephew Twiddleton

Except it doesnt work that way. Otherwise wed have a civilization of skeptical atheists.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 24, 2012, 03:17:27 PM
Except it doesnt work that way. Otherwise wed have a civilization of skeptical atheists.

Oh, I'm not saying that it works very well. Just that we might be a bit worse off without it.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Nephew Twiddleton

Or better. If anything it encourages the idea of religion- specifically the concept of heaven (presents) and hell (coal). I mean if you want santa to be a lesson in indoctrination and disappointment that you want to impose on your children thats your call. But unless your kids are wise beyond their years they wont equate that disenchantment with need for future skepticism.

For me its just a cultural concept that evolved over time with no inherent philosophical meaning that if it has any practical purpose is to help parents control their childrens behaviour when they arent looking.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also disbelief in santa is often a result of peer pressure. One kid catches his parents then ridicules his friends for believing just as he ridicules them for continuing to watch sesame street or playing with certain types of toys. Thats a form of encouraging the desire to fall in line.

AFK

See, I've always thought of Santa Claus as more of myth and legend.  He's not real, but he CAN be real.  That is, he can be a sort of manifestation of the spirit of the holiday season, and that is something that can be molded to fit the family.  As a father, I love watching my kids experience the magic of the season.  The anticipation, to give and receive.  The togetherness of family.  The twinkling lights, the snow....

And honestly, ona certain level, it is kind of Discordian.  That is, the art of playing games, rejecting the Curse of Greyface.  A time to just enjoy joy.  As adults, we get caught up in the stress and bullshit, but our kids, through the legend of Santa and other traditions of the season, get to just be kids.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 25, 2012, 02:57:08 AM
See, I've always thought of Santa Claus as more of myth and legend.  He's not real, but he CAN be real.  That is, he can be a sort of manifestation of the spirit of the holiday season, and that is something that can be molded to fit the family.  As a father, I love watching my kids experience the magic of the season.  The anticipation, to give and receive.  The togetherness of family.  The twinkling lights, the snow....

And honestly, ona certain level, it is kind of Discordian.  That is, the art of playing games, rejecting the Curse of Greyface.  A time to just enjoy joy.  As adults, we get caught up in the stress and bullshit, but our kids, through the legend of Santa and other traditions of the season, get to just be kids.

THIS 123%

And this is precisely the magic I still believe in.