News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Removed Codex seraphinianus from the reading list

Started by Faust, August 08, 2015, 06:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I've removed this from the reading list because as far as I can tell it was published in 1981 by Luigi Seraphini and is in copyright and in print on Amazon.

It got recommended as a discordian resource but from what I can see, and weird as it is I cant see any references to it being public domain so I am going to err on the side of caution and remove it.

It's still hosted elsewhere as a pdf, but I'm not sure if that's ok, it appears to be for sale here on Amazon so thats the link I'm going to post:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Luigi-Serafini/e/B001JY33W8/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1439053551&sr=8-1-spell
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Sounds like the right move. The review on Amazon was partly about the author releasing a re-designed edition of some sort.

Otherwise the review was full of praise but notably vague. I have never heard of this book. What is it about and for what reason is is a reading list pick?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Yeah, as far as I can tell it was a massive book of surrealist artwork.

There are a few others that I am going to verify copyright with when I get back from my break, starting with the RAWfoundation on illuminatus etc.

MMIX

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 08, 2015, 06:54:26 PM
Sounds like the right move. The review on Amazon was partly about the author releasing a re-designed edition of some sort.

Otherwise the review was full of praise but notably vague. I have never heard of this book. What is it about and for what reason is is a reading list pick?

£85 for the hardback! I'll settle for doing a google image search and deciding it really would make a stunning bog book; as upmarket toilet paper. Also, all the "reading" in it seems to be in abstruse squiggles.
QuoteThis visual encyclopedia of an unknown world written in an unknown language has fueled much debate over its meaning.
Amazon ad blurb

Apparently I am not the target audience :(

eta I read the WIRED interview with the author that Nigel recommends below. The toilet paper comment was probably a bit harsh.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2015, 07:05:25 PM
Yeah, as far as I can tell it was a massive book of surrealist artwork.

There are a few others that I am going to verify copyright with when I get back from my break, starting with the RAWfoundation on illuminatus etc.

Right on. It might be worth a gander. The name certainly caught my attention. I'm just going to assume it's a pen name.

One of these days I'll have to scratch down some more of my cosmological speculations. The concept of the Seraph is of some notable interest to me in that particular context. There's something I will add to my speculative theology thread that I wrote out after posting the poem to Boomtime Cabal on FB. I'm going to scrub the names of posters off the brief dialog and at some point settle in and further the poem. Not sure when, but it's up in my brain here.
Staring at me.

I do hope that your labors and subsequent vacation go smoothly sir.
carpe diem
And stuff!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: MMIX on August 08, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 08, 2015, 06:54:26 PM

£85 for the hardback! I'll settle for doing a google image search and deciding it really would make a stunning bog book; as upmarket toilet paper. Also, all the "reading" in it seems to be in abstruse squiggles.
QuoteThis visual encyclopedia of an unknown world written in an unknown language has fueled much debate over its meaning.
Amazon ad blurb

Apparently I am not the target audience :(

Sometimes there is no target audience. Some how the mind can make nonsense an expression. Each mind perceiving it will impressed by it differently. The subjectivity might just be the point.

Then again I ain't seen the durn thing as yet so.. who knows? Could just be egotistical pap.

That price is pretty steep, but you know... even a crazy artists' gotta eat.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am fairly certain that the .pdf is freely distributable. Here's a cool interview with the author:

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/codex-seraphinianus-interview/
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 09, 2015, 04:52:29 PM
I am fairly certain that the .pdf is freely distributable. Here's a cool interview with the author:

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/codex-seraphinianus-interview/

That was a cool interview! Sounds like a really neat person. I like the idea of "pushing beyond Google". There's a big gap between the info that the Internet is able to present and the actual totality of available experience.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Yeah, that sounds like he wants it redistributed. I'll put it up again.

There's a few others I want to check out when I get back.

Faust

Christ, Over a year later. I need an assistant or something. Contacted RAW foundation tonight.

Goddess Eris

Thank you Faust for being the bestest!!! [emoji170]❤️[emoji170]❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faust

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on November 29, 2016, 07:59:02 AM
No, I'm the worstest, I'm lazy and neglectful.

And here I thought you were just wise enough to administer lightly and a paragon of efficiently min-maxing your effort.

I also presume that you live in a dark tower keep, feed stray ravens, have a devil trap under your welcome mat, and have several supernal powers on "speed dial" with whom you are on a pet names level of personal intimacy.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Sure, lets go with that, as long as you never look any closer, you wont have crushing disappointment

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on November 29, 2016, 09:06:04 AM
Sure, lets go with that, as long as you never look any closer, you wont have crushing disappointment

Oh... that's just not true. I just see a lot more bad than good by nature and have adapted conscious countermeasures so that I don't see TOO clearly and have my expectations about folks met... over and over. I don't do this to make myself comfortable. I do it because my negative bias is useless and hurts others for nobody's gain if unchecked.

Soo... like you, it would seem, I turn it on myself all too frequently. I'm trying to unlearn the habit of turning on myself.

Let me put my actual perspective on you here. I don't know much at all about you or how you do, but I'm thankful for this board and the things you do here to maintain it in a way that I have trouble expressing coherently. So stop hitting yourself please.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl