News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Emo: Symptom of our Decay

Started by The Johnny, October 19, 2009, 11:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfbaked1

Please splain somthing for me.

What's the diff between the Goths and the Emos?  I knew some goths, when I lived in Georgia, and they seem alot like the Emos you mention.  Is there a diff or were goths pre-Emo?

LMNO

Goth stems from the 1980s punks and post-punks, and spiraled into it's own genre soon after.  There are multiple sub-genres of Goth, so you can't really say what goth "is", but there's usually an attraction to black clothes, bad haircuts, depressing music, vampires, poetry, and absinthe.  It was never very popular, save for a brief upsurge with Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails in the early 2000's.

Emo stems from 1990 hardcore and post-hardcore, and was marketed as its own genre by Hot Topic and MTV.  I'm not as aware of that many sub-genres, but I'm sure there are.  As far as I can tell, there's usually an attraction to black clothes, bad haircuts, mainstreamed "punk" music, poetry, and PBR.  It has become extrememly popular, and marketed just as heavily as any other pop music.

So, there are similarities, but in general the sense is that Goths tend to be more counter-culture, while Emos are more commercial consumerist trend whores/fashion victims.

The Johnny

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on October 21, 2009, 10:43:57 AM
Please splain somthing for me.

What's the diff between the Goths and the Emos?  I knew some goths, when I lived in Georgia, and they seem alot like the Emos you mention.  Is there a diff or were goths pre-Emo?

My opinion is that, there used to be more marked differences.

More on this later.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Goth = vampire wannabe
Emo = tragic hipster
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, everything I say is falling flat today.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the other anonymous

GRUNGE AIN'T DEAD

POOMP IN YOUR OVERCOAT

-toa,
can smell style a mile away

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 21, 2009, 01:18:59 PM

So, there are similarities, but in general the sense is that Goths tend to be more counter-culture, while Emos are more commercial consumerist trend whores/fashion victims.

Tell it to Hot Topic™.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 21, 2009, 02:22:10 AM
The most annoying thing about emo isn't the kiddies who walk around dressing up like that, you'd have dumb kids doing it no matter what.  The most annoying thing about it is the rest of the fucks walking around calling anything and everything emo.

that's so emo to say that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

in short,

emo is where you wear a lock of hair over your eye

the similarity with gothics is that they both make a big deal about being depressed and anxious and sad

as far as wannabe vampire goes, more like "interview with a vampire" and that vampire:masquerade RPG, in the sense that it's all very woe, eternal tormenting and Weltschmerz and stuff. however, in my experience (dating a goth for 1.5y), when they go all over the top with it, they don't exactly take themselves very serious anymore. except that probably some of them do.

also, for some reason, Goth music has its roots in 80s disco, such as Depeche Mode and New Order.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

MMIX

[snips the "lock of hair over your eye" bit]

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 22, 2009, 12:14:13 PM
also, for some reason, Goth music has its roots in 80s disco, such as Depeche Mode and New Order.

and dies of laughing too much, though ofc it might have been of old age . . .

Depeche Mode and New Order DISCO???!!!??? Noooooooooo shrieks of pain and howls of disbelief - and we are gonna leave the world to you buggers LOL
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 22, 2009, 12:14:13 PM
however, in my experience (dating a goth for 1.5y), when they go all over the top with it, they don't exactly take themselves very serious anymore. except that probably some of them do.

True.  There are quite a lot of very silly goths, and most of them know they are being silly.

Well, I can see where you're going with that... New Order was grandfathered in because of Joy Divison, and Depeche Mode had songs like "Strangelove"... But neither are really "disco".

Triple Zero

Quote from: MMIX on October 22, 2009, 12:40:06 PM
Depeche Mode and New Order DISCO???!!!??? Noooooooooo shrieks of pain and howls of disbelief - and we are gonna leave the world to you buggers LOL

:lulz:

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner