News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Quotes from "Escape from Freedom"

Started by Verbal Mike, February 04, 2008, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

I'm slowly but surely chewing through Erich Fromm's Escape from Freedom and I've encountered some very nice quotes. Makes me think he might have dug BIP.

Quote from: Escape from Freedom, p. 98"Conscience" is a slave driver, put into man by himself. It drives him to act according to wishes and aims which he believes to be his own, while they are actually the internalization of external social demands. It drives him with harshness and cruelty, forbidding him pleasure and happiness, making his whole life the atonement for some mysterious sin.

Quote from: Escape from Freedom, p. 105...we are proud that in his conduct of life man has become free from external authorities, which tell him what to do and what not to do. We neglect the role of the anonymous authorities like public opinion and "common sense," which are so powerful because of our profound readiness to conform to the expectations everybody has about ourselves and our equally profound fear of being different.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Not bad, although both are really a subset of external controls that only become problems when internalized.  I know some Christians, for example, refuse to accept any definition of conscience that is externally derived in its values.