News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 17, 2014, 07:07:12 PM
Upon further reflection, I'm not sure if I'm opposed to the style itself or just to THAT particular hat, which looks like it should be worn by some 80 year old guy with depends on under his khakis while he plays in the consolation bracket of the shuffleboard tournament down at the nursing home.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I like about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 17, 2014, 09:58:06 PM
I can see how it could come across that way... I've always had a thing for hats, but this particular issue was never something I felt the need to point out before "fedoras" became vilified.

Apparently I missed the vilification of Fedoras, too.

Don't mind me, I'll be over here in my bubble.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The thing is, it's just a hat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2014, 10:00:58 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 17, 2014, 09:50:55 PM
Quote from: The Suu on January 17, 2014, 03:41:15 AM
The fedora/trilby issue has been around for a while. Though LMNO can pull it off, from what I can see in the picture, anyway. Typically, the brim of a fedora or fedora-like hat (trilby, porkpie, pince-nez) should be proportionate to the wearer's shoulders. The issue with a trilby is that they can often been seen as juvenile, and really only look good on guys with no shoulders. Basically, making them the ultimate hipster hat. *shrug*

A while back my teenage daughter found infographics about it on Tumblr. It's like that thing that happens every summer when a new generation of 14-year-olds realizes that "Blister In The Sun" is about masturbation, and they feel very clever and go around casually letting on that they know, and making fun of people who haven't gotten it yet.

Only with hats.

It's true-- fedoras are actually about masturbation.

Yes but for you, EVERYTHING is about masturbation.

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 17, 2014, 10:04:22 PM
The thing is, it's just a hat.

No denial here. Everyone has their pet peeves. If it was an important complaint, it wouldn't be a peeve.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

I am a fucking overachiever.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Nice!  Looks great on you!

Suu

My new sewing machine is now my favorite thing in the world.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 17, 2014, 04:01:51 AM
This is a hat:

This is a cap, albeit one that I might add the word flat, but not scally, to:

That's about the distinction I make between headwear. Other than hood.

To the best of my understanding, a hat has a brim that goes all the way around, but a cap has a partial brim, or no brim at all.
Unless you're talking about womens hats...I think they're all hats. Sometimes hair clips are hats.  :lol:

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

You mean a "Fascinator".

Telarus

Quote from: The Suu on January 24, 2014, 06:48:57 PM
My new sewing machine is now my favorite thing in the world.

WOW, Suu. That came out REALLY good.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's very nice, Suu!

Cainad (dec.)

Holy cow that outfit is great!

Cainad,
spent 100 years sewing on some new buttons

Salty

When I think about FB Discordians and the fact I am not one of them.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Left

Quote from: Alty on January 26, 2014, 02:42:17 AM
When I think about FB Discordians and the fact I am not one of them.

I can feel the happy.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy