News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: it rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again

Started by Salty, February 02, 2014, 03:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Quote from: Pæs on March 01, 2014, 06:25:18 AM
I was thinking of experimenting with gathering FB Discordians at the new site as well, but Jesus, then I go there and read some of those discussions.

Yeah, everyone deserves their own place to frolic in the sunshine.
And it would seem them's what have their place on teh FB belong exactly where they are at.

I am both pleased and disgusted by this.

Mostly pleased though. Mostly.

Cain

Quote from: /b/earman on February 28, 2014, 10:26:32 PM
Houston Free Thinker update: Derrick has gone full retard. He's banning "leftists", and anyone who snarky like Cain.
The exiled have started the "Houston Critical Thinkers".

I suggest you lurk on alt accounts for the tears. Also they have named me your king. "Lufiel and the Discordians" sounds pretty good to me.

LOL I was banned?

I hadn't even noticed.  Given I was barely giving them the full treatment, just riffing off your stuff, I am kinda surprised.  I was very mild.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Cain on March 01, 2014, 11:11:05 AM
Quote from: /b/earman on February 28, 2014, 10:26:32 PM
Houston Free Thinker update: Derrick has gone full retard. He's banning "leftists", and anyone who snarky like Cain.
The exiled have started the "Houston Critical Thinkers".

I suggest you lurk on alt accounts for the tears. Also they have named me your king. "Lufiel and the Discordians" sounds pretty good to me.

LOL I was banned?

I hadn't even noticed.  Given I was barely giving them the full treatment, just riffing off your stuff, I am kinda surprised.  I was very mild.

The exile is amazing! Lots of amazing butthurt carried over to the Houston Critical Thinkers.

They banned me from making posts, but they couldn't stop me from making polls!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on March 01, 2014, 06:25:18 AM
I was thinking of experimenting with gathering FB Discordians at the new site as well, but Jesus, then I go there and read some of those discussions.

You might be able to get some of the better ones to come on over and contribute.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sita

Good day today. Parents came over and we did visiting while first going out for lunch and then looking at furniture.
Almost bought a sofa, but they guy said that the price on the tag wasn't the current price because the catalog changed. Don't know if they told husband the new price, but he decided it was best to wait after that.

There's to be gaming tonight, possibly a raid. I need to see if I can find a new weapon since my current is for someone about 10 levels below me.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of my fellow students who reviewed my paper's first draft can't add and apparently doesn't know how to use a grading rubric sheet. The other one had some good feedback, unfortunately mixed in with some epically clueless feedback, such as telling me to reproduce the directions for streak plate technique from the lab manual rather than simply referencing the lab manual, and telling me that I should look up MLA formatting. My favorite was their advice not to use an article from last term as one of my references, having evidently slept right through the part of the lecture where the professor told us that if we can build on previous work that's a good idea. My second favorite was the advice to shorten my title to make it less specific, because it was long.

Um.

Sigh.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Nigel on March 01, 2014, 11:26:56 PM
One of my fellow students who reviewed my paper's first draft can't add and apparently doesn't know how to use a grading rubric sheet. The other one had some good feedback, unfortunately mixed in with some epically clueless feedback, such as telling me to reproduce the directions for streak plate technique from the lab manual rather than simply referencing the lab manual, and telling me that I should look up MLA formatting. My favorite was their advice not to use an article from last term as one of my references, having evidently slept right through the part of the lecture where the professor told us that if we can build on previous work that's a good idea. My second favorite was the advice to shorten my title to make it less specific, because it was long.

Um.

Sigh.

So basically if you do the opposite of their suggestions, you're good?
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on March 02, 2014, 02:37:49 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 01, 2014, 11:26:56 PM

Um.

Sigh.

So basically if you do the opposite of their suggestions, you're good?

Yeah.

I got 98% on my last bio paper, so I'm inclined to just ignore everything both of them said. Although there were two really good observations: One, that I forgot to title my graph, and two, that I gave a measurement for the sole bacterial colony that grew in the culture from the fill spout, but not for the bacterial colony that grew from my comparative cultures, and I need to clarify my reasoning for not giving measurements for the others (which was because they were abundant and overlapping in a wide variety of sizes).

The one reviewer who was very critical of my draft and suggested I look up MLA formatting (for a scientific paper!) didn't know what [citation needed] meant.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He also said that my paper read "too much like an essay".

I don't even know what that MEANS, in this context. It was readable and coherent, and didn't come across as a dry, unreadable, jargon-filled pile of poorly-written crap? Yeah, that's what I was going for.

I think the poor soul thinks that scientific papers are SUPPOSED to be horrible to read, and that's not merely a result of poor writing skills on the part of most researchers.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I bet it's the guy who had three pages of citations for a 7-page paper about spoiled milk.

Salty

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2014, 04:25:57 AM
I bet it's the guy who had three pages of citations for a 7-page paper about spoiled milk.

Why are the most inept always the most helpful?

Guess I sort of answered my own question.

God danned feedback loops,

Freeky

Ia m drunk and more relaxed, not that it's relevant or important.

I am also a member of a writing project that is projected to be published.  Been that way a while.  I'm producing well, and I had bullshit drama that reduced time I had to turn shit in.  So thatt's cool. 

I miss posting here and I suck at knowing how interacting works anymore.  I forgot how to on the internet.  My intermittent posting here in Open Bar is an attempt at trying to make contact again.  It is clearly failing, but some feedback would be nice so I can learn again.

Red

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on March 02, 2014, 08:15:01 AM
Ia m drunk and more relaxed, not that it's relevant or important.

I am also a member of a writing project that is projected to be published.  Been that way a while.  I'm producing well, and I had bullshit drama that reduced time I had to turn shit in.  So thatt's cool. 

I miss posting here and I suck at knowing how interacting works anymore.  I forgot how to on the internet.  My intermittent posting here in Open Bar is an attempt at trying to make contact again.  It is clearly failing, but some feedback would be nice so I can learn again.

Welcome back. It's ok- I'm just getting used to this place so you're in fine company. I suggest just posting and replying and asking/answering questions. I find the hard part is remembering to come back and say things. I can get really distracted sometimes.

What are you writing?

I enjoy writing but don't know how to get into it professionally outside of the freelance ghostwriting I've been doing. The main issue with ghostwriting is I can't claim any of it which makes it kind of hard to get into other writing positions.