News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Time for the three stupidest days in my life to commence.

Basically, my boss could not find cover for me and my coworker to attend training.  He knows, however, he has been pushing his luck in getting us to attend previous training while also working, and that luck is running out.

Therefore, he is authorising my co-worker and I, for this week, to finish our shifts at 23:30 every night so we can attend training.  In other words, aside from a notoriously flimsy door, there will be no security in this place overnight, including on a Friday.  No-one to kick out unwelcome guests.  No-one to help students who have lost their keys, or to shoo away homeless people looking for somewhere dry and relatively warm to spend the night.  No-one to do all the usual nightly duties like kitchen checks, preparing people who are leaving, doing the necessary paperwork and external patrols. Hell, there wont even be anyone to unlock the office for the day staff to come in the next day, so I don't know how that is going to work. 

This work training has been scehduled since about, oh, March.  So you can see why they might have had trouble securing someone, anyone, to cover those days.

I kinda hope something goes wrong.  Not massively wrong, something someone can recover from, but just something bad enough to help highlight how this place is "run"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2015, 01:34:11 PM
Time for the three stupidest days in my life to commence.

Basically, my boss could not find cover for me and my coworker to attend training.  He knows, however, he has been pushing his luck in getting us to attend previous training while also working, and that luck is running out.

Therefore, he is authorising my co-worker and I, for this week, to finish our shifts at 23:30 every night so we can attend training.  In other words, aside from a notoriously flimsy door, there will be no security in this place overnight, including on a Friday.  No-one to kick out unwelcome guests.  No-one to help students who have lost their keys, or to shoo away homeless people looking for somewhere dry and relatively warm to spend the night.  No-one to do all the usual nightly duties like kitchen checks, preparing people who are leaving, doing the necessary paperwork and external patrols. Hell, there wont even be anyone to unlock the office for the day staff to come in the next day, so I don't know how that is going to work. 

This work training has been scehduled since about, oh, March.  So you can see why they might have had trouble securing someone, anyone, to cover those days.

I kinda hope something goes wrong.  Not massively wrong, something someone can recover from, but just something bad enough to help highlight how this place is "run"

I'm starting to get the sense that most organizations are run this way, and that Tuscon is indeed everywhere.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

If they really can't find "anyone", then you should ask for a 300% raise, as apparently you're the only person in the country qualified to do the overnight shift.

Cain

Well, we have two cover staff.  One refuses to do nights, because she's sensible, and the other works the other night shift because they're not hiring anyone to replace the member of staff who left that position, and she has visa restrictions besides (I also strongly suspect they intend to downsize the staffing levels post Christmas).

Quite frankly, I think night shift does deserve extra pay, at least for unsociable hours.  But this company....they don't just ignore basic human decency, they literally will not do something unless you bring solicitors into the picture.  So yeah.  My best bet is to finish my dissertation, then get the hell out of dodge.

LMNO

Christ.  Here's hoping some hobo shits in the hall while you're away.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2015, 03:45:30 PM
Well, we have two cover staff.  One refuses to do nights, because she's sensible, and the other works the other night shift because they're not hiring anyone to replace the member of staff who left that position, and she has visa restrictions besides (I also strongly suspect they intend to downsize the staffing levels post Christmas).

Quite frankly, I think night shift does deserve extra pay, at least for unsociable hours.  But this company....they don't just ignore basic human decency, they literally will not do something unless you bring solicitors into the picture.  So yeah.  My best bet is to finish my dissertation, then get the hell out of dodge.

And they can't hire a contractor for a couple of days while you're out?
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 02, 2015, 05:25:12 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2015, 03:45:30 PM

And they can't hire a contractor for a couple of days while you're out?

Yeah, that seems like a pretty normal course of action. My school did it when there was a campus security story published in the newspaper.

Incidentally they hired Securitas, which I later found out is the modern incarnation of the Pinkertons. And they didn't even bust any unions while they were there.  :cry:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

They could hire someone.  But they wont.  Because that would actually cost them money.

As far as I can see it, the situation is this: my boss is on the take.  He uses a work travel card for daily travel, submits overtime for days he doesn't work, puts on a fitness class no-one attends and charges the college for it, doesn't come in for days at a time etc.  He gets away with it because his boss does nothing, because he's a tired old man coming up on his retirment.  They both get away with it because they don't cause problems for upper management, things keep ticking over and because no-one in upper management inquires, they don't have a clue how badly this place is run.

If my boss starts requesting things like money for outside contractors, he risks rocking the boat.  He fears management will start to scrutinise him more thoroughly, and that his benefits and liberties will be curtailed.

But that's just a theory. 

Cain

So....that right wing terrorism article is up

LMNO

Oh, that is you.  I didn't realize you were using that as a pseudonym.

Cain

I have many pseudonyms.  Some even match the names in my passports.

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

I dunno if you just ruined danishes, or ELEVATED them.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."