News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

A formula for conflict?

Started by Template, February 03, 2010, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Template

This originally took the form of a long response to someone's status on Facebook.  I've tried to reformat it to be a more self-contained essay.  It seems to cover pretty basic stuff to me, but it also makes the topic more digestible.

Quote from: (Not me)
Quote from: Gil Rendle
"Conflict happens when two ideas are present in the same place at the same time."
Being inclined toward rationalism, I find that very helpful. But my experience tells me that very often it's not two IDEAS in the same place at the same time, but to PEOPLE or two FEELINGS.

I think it depends significantly on what you choose to call an "idea". The following discussion might totally go contrary to the context surrounding your quote, there.

Is a conflict a meeting of two ideas in place and time?  Is a feeling not an idea?

My preferences lean more towards an "idea" being "anything I can express as an idea" or "something I can formulate as words"--by no means something that must be handled rationally.

As for "conflict", I again tend to use a fairly broad defintion, especially when I just have "conflict" without much context. The easiest conflict to consider would be one of two mutually incompatible ideas (as defined above, as I will demonstrate). I don't think that it's the best general model of conflict though. I'm thinking of "conflict" not as a fight but as its cause. "Quarrel" might cover the territory we're both thinking of.

Here are a few example conflicts:
1. Turkey is my favorite lunchmeat. Today I try bologna for the first time. I then think that maybe bologna is my favorite lunchmeat. Supposing that I don't think/feel, "Turkey and bologna are my favorite lunchmeats," I will have conflict in the form of two lunchmeats that might be "my favorite lunchmeat." This conflict is with myself.

2. Suppose two people are sitting on opposite sides of a hill. They both consider the hill their own, for no particular reason. They just feel that way. The ideas would be, "I, A, own this hill, exclusively" and "I, B, own this hill, exclusively". If they ever meet, there will be conflict indeed. This conflict could become heated, or acrimonious, or violent.

If I allow that there are ideas behind a conflict, which don't match up, then I can wonder about what those ideas are. By the way, an interesting conflict can readily occur between three parties/ideas. I will just outline it for now:

A insists, "X is true."
B insists, "Y is true."
Both A and B believe X and Y to be incompatible.
C suspects that X and Y may not be incompatible. If he invites A and B to entertain these notions with him, there will likely be conflict.

Moreover, X and Y might never be what A and B talk or fight about. It could be some conflict springing from them.

If you want to look at conflict, it goes down as far as you're willing to dig, often enough.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Template

Quote from: v=1/3πr²h on February 03, 2010, 08:08:31 PM
Um... congratulations?

It's no rant.  Wait, should I have put this is Literate Chaotic to be summarily ignored?

It's just supposed to be generally informative and inviting to discussion.

Captain Utopia

I think conflict arises from incompatible opinions on reality.  When a choice is required between swallowing another persons reality, or shoving yours down their throat.

Does it need be more complex than that?

Triple Zero

Quote from: yhnmzw on February 03, 2010, 08:52:46 PM
Um... congratulations?

It's no rant.  Wait, should I have put this is Literate Chaotic to be summarily ignored?

Think For Yourself Schmuck is the usual place for such things. If you want I can move it.

It sounds like an interesting topic btw. I don't really have the mind to read really deep into it right now though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Template

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 05, 2010, 08:06:49 PM
Quote from: yhnmzw on February 03, 2010, 08:52:46 PM
Um... congratulations?

Think For Yourself Schmuck is the usual place for such things. If you want I can move it.

It sounds like an interesting topic btw. I don't really have the mind to read really deep into it right now though.

OK.  Thanks.  Please do.

President Television

Quote from: FP on February 05, 2010, 06:11:00 PM
I think conflict arises from incompatible opinions on reality.  When a choice is required between swallowing another persons reality, or shoving yours down their throat.

So what happens when we have a conflict 69?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on February 08, 2010, 03:16:04 AM
I think conflict arises from incompatible opinions on reality.  When a choice is required between swallowing another persons reality, or shoving yours down their throat.

So what happens when we have a conflict 69?
The most powerful argument comes first, which finishes off the other.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

Rococo Modem Basilisk

When two memes riding people like giant messy mechs filled with shit decide that it is time to get in a battle (for the good of all that is right and just, and the viewing audience at home), a conflict occurs.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Template

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 13, 2010, 11:06:40 PM

When two memes riding people like giant messy mechs filled with shit decide that it is time to get in a battle (for the good of all that is right and just, and the viewing audience at home), a conflict occurs.

I chose not to use the word "meme" in my above essay.  Take the time to explore how a meme decides to fight it out, and you've got yourself  an essay to write...

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 15, 2010, 06:28:21 PM
QuoteTake the time to explore how a meme decides to fight it out, and you've got yourself  an essay to write...

you do realize what you;ve just done don't you. Enki's essay WILL KILL US ALL! wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  :aaa:

That's the best-case scenario  :mrgreen:

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Captain Utopia

Well better that, then his essay kills all our memes.  So they tell me.

Nast

I think if you want conflict:

1) Separate a group of people into two different groups

2) Let them fill in the reasons for hating each other
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."