News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Started by Cramulus, January 25, 2009, 05:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

The world will end in 2012.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking about the lack of rational evidence for any eschatology surrounding the year 2012. You're thinking about the hysterical misinterpretations of the mayan calendar, which doesn't actually predict the "end" of anything. You're thinking about Terrence McKenna's obsession with the end of novelty, and how he made his predictions based (in part) on the i ching, not math or science. You're going to remind me that Kurzweil's predictions about the singularity won't come to fruition until at least 2030. You want to tell me all the reasons that I'm wrong. And honestly, you'd probably be right.

But listen---

• The World will end in 2012
  • Nothing's gonna happen in 2012

-- which of these two beliefs is more exciting?

We have heard all sorts of people, when confronted with evidence that their beliefs aren't really grounded, retort with some variation of "Beliefs don't have to be rational!"

Well CHEERS to that! The way I see it, in December of 2012, you can either choose to face the End of Times with a calm demeanor or a fucking crazy one. When I think about it that way, the choice is obvious. I'd much rather be worked up to a froth, handing out pamphlets, shouting at churches, and wearing a giant sandwich board that says DUMB. I want to grow a beard and smoke DMT like it's my ticket to Heaven's Gate. I want to be thrown out of establishments. I want to wheel a gong on top of a building and ring it over and over again, shouting "YOUR TIME HAS COME, HUMANITY. THIS IS THE DEATH GONG, AND IT GONGS FOR THEE."

Remember the excitement that preceeded the Y2K bug? I was out there on Dec 31st, putting up posters, handing out pamphlets, shouting at traffic. Remember the nail-biting anticipation, as the ball descended, that in mere moments the power would go out and the streets would be filled with the cacophony of the End Times? And then the ball dropped, the clocks turned over, and everybody breathed a sigh of relief. Or in my case a sigh of dissapointment. I want another shot!

On 6/6/06 I assembled a bunch of assholes on the beach to chant pages from the necronomicon. The intent was to awaken mighty Cthulhu, who will drive humanity from this planet like rats off a sinking ship. The way I see it, even if it only had a 0.0001% change of ending the world, that's a bigger chance of ending the world than any other action I've ever taken. It doesn't matter that it didn't work, at least I was trying. I want another shot!

Why believe in the apocalypse?

one word, people:

HOPE.

2012 or bust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Problem is, I've been told that the end is coming for 30+ years, and the retard evangelicals are ALWAYS WRONG and it PISSES ME OFF TO NO FUCKING END.

I just can't get excited about armageddon, anymore.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Imma gonna wait to see who throws in for the election before I get too wound up either way, if it's a Palin/Robertson ticket, hell yeah, bring on the death and destruction!!!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In 2012 the world will end and a new world will begin. The new world will look just like the old one. The end.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I like the Daniel Pinchbeck approach.  So many people believe something will happen, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  All it will take is the right person, at the right place, with the right message and that potential discharges into something real.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think 2000 had more superstitious crazies attached to it, and nothing happened then.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

let me clarify:
I don't really think the world is going to end in 2012
but I want to encourage everybody to carry on all batshit bonanza as if actually is

Mangrove

Quote from: Cramulus on January 26, 2009, 12:45:40 AM
let me clarify:
I don't really think the world is going to end in 2012
but I want to encourage everybody to carry on all batshit bonanza as if actually is...

...because I work in publishing and this 2012 crap is starting to make best-seller lists.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 06:34:53 PM

holy shit, Roger are you allright? :)

anyway, I think it was Cain who mentioned this idea first (not entirely sure though), but I think it's a good one. With all the people believing in 2012, there's bound to be a fucking awesome party at that big maya temple thing in south-america on December 21st. If I happen to be filthy rich and/or in the general neighbourhood, I intend to be there! :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple "Dave" Zero on January 27, 2009, 07:33:34 PM

anyway, I think it was Cain who mentioned this idea first (not entirely sure though), but I think it's a good one. With all the people believing in 2012, there's bound to be a fucking awesome party at that big maya temple thing in south-america on December 21st. If I happen to be filthy rich and/or in the general neighbourhood, I intend to be there! :)

Balls.  The USA is full of religious freaks, and nobody did SHIT on 12/31/99.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

I murdered Conrad Bain on that date, doesn't that count for ANYTHING anymore??
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BAWHEED on January 29, 2009, 05:53:35 PM
I murdered Conrad Bain on that date, doesn't that count for ANYTHING anymore??

Yeah, but did you do it thinking that the world ended the next day?

And did you wear his skin like a dress, and do the Safety Dance in front of horrified CBC cameramen?

No, Hoops, we have to be SERIOUS about apocalypse. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2009, 05:46:26 PM
Quote from: Triple "Dave" Zero on January 27, 2009, 07:33:34 PM

Balls.  The USA is full of religious freaks, and nobody did SHIT on 12/31/99.

Oh, there were loads of ZOMG the WORLD is GONNA END and PLANES will fall FROM THE SKY parties over here that night.

also I kind of expect the psychedelic hippie techno/trance/dub scene to do something in 2012, they're good at throwing parties. I'm just assuming that somebody will have the presence of mind to use some Maya temple as the location. Or anything looking suitable Maya-templish, basically. I'm not picky, when it comes to a good party.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

The problem here is that you're equating "the psychedelic hippie techno/trance/dub scene" with "a good party".

the last yatto

Quote from: Nigel on January 25, 2009, 11:29:51 PM
I think 2000 had more superstitious crazies attached to it, and nothing happened then.
delayed one year reaction? :lulz:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit