News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

ECH's thoughts on true culinary skill

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 10, 2012, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 05:22:14 AM
Nope. but I'll tell you about Pozole all damn day if you want.

It's one of my favorite things and I will eat it until I burst if I can. The version I make is Mexican red posole. I've considered trying green posole but the red is just SO GOOD.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I didn't even know there WAS green pozole. Gonna have to investigate/experiment.

I love that the original pre-conquest pozole recipe calls for chopped human.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I like to serve mine with a "mexican slaw" made of thinly shredded green cabbage soaked in a solution of white vinegar, ground cumin, and a couple packets of con culantro y achiote sazon goya, which in addition to its flavor lends a nice brilliant orange color to the cabbage. The briny crunchiness of the slaw provides a nice counterbalance to the rich meatiness of the pozole, and a pinch on the top of the bowl along with a couple slices of avocado and a dollop of sour cream makes for a wildly colorful presentation that also looks like the mexican flag.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

I've never heard of Pozole. ... apparently it's a kind of soup. If it's that good, I'll have to investigate. I bet there'll be some special and absolutely required ingredients that I'll have to hunt down, but okay :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 10:47:33 AM
I like to serve mine with a "mexican slaw" made of thinly shredded green cabbage soaked in a solution of white vinegar, ground cumin, and a couple packets of con culantro y achiote sazon goya, which in addition to its flavor lends a nice brilliant orange color to the cabbage. The briny crunchiness of the slaw provides a nice counterbalance to the rich meatiness of the pozole, and a pinch on the top of the bowl along with a couple slices of avocado and a dollop of sour cream makes for a wildly colorful presentation that also looks like the mexican flag.

I serve mine with a sideboard consisting of shredded cabbage, chopped radishes, chopped onion (white or green, I prefer green) chopped cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges. I'll have to check out your way sometime.

The one thing I don't like about making posole is picking the germ off the kernels so they bloom properly. I always end up feeling like my thumbnails are going to fall off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 11, 2012, 11:35:34 AM
I've never heard of Pozole. ... apparently it's a kind of soup. If it's that good, I'll have to investigate. I bet there'll be some special and absolutely required ingredients that I'll have to hunt down, but okay :)

Most of the ingredients are pretty widely available, but you might have a hard time finding dried posole corn. If so, you can substitute canned hominy; it's not quite as good but it's pretty close.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on February 11, 2012, 04:20:51 PM

I serve mine with a sideboard consisting of shredded cabbage, chopped radishes, chopped onion (white or green, I prefer green) chopped cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges. I'll have to check out your way sometime.

The one thing I don't like about making posole is picking the germ off the kernels so they bloom properly. I always end up feeling like my thumbnails are going to fall off.

Yeah, when I'm just doing it at home or on the ship I generally leave that stuff on the side (along with cilantro and lime wedges) so people can add or not as they choose, but for a restaurant presentation or something similar where people are expecting a fully presented dish the mexican flag condiment motif is a guaranteed winner.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 06:01:03 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 11, 2012, 04:20:51 PM

Yeah, when I'm just doing it at home or on the ship I generally leave that stuff on the side (along with cilantro and lime wedges) so people can add or not as they choose, but for a restaurant presentation or something similar where people are expecting a fully presented dish the mexican flag condiment motif is a guaranteed winner.

I could totally see that being a pretty impressive presentation.

The Rev

Terri is working on putting a cookbook together. She figures if we can cook it and clean up after in a motorhome, then even her kids should be able to cook this food.  :)

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
Terri is working on putting a cookbook together. She figures if we can cook it and clean up after in a motorhome, then even her kids should be able to cook this food.  :)
Gonna say to you what I said to Vincent when he said he's doing that:  WANT.  So let us know when this goes down so I can BUY.

The Rev

Quote from: Jenne on February 15, 2012, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
Gonna say to you what I said to Vincent when he said he's doing that:  WANT.  So let us know when this goes down so I can BUY.

Of course, we have talked about putting it on kindle and nook for $.99.