News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The Atlas Shrugged Themepark?

Started by Mangrove, August 16, 2011, 04:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeTom

I want to know what's going to happen first a Cocoanut Grove like fire due to non-existant building codes or a slave indentured servant rebellion.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

QuoteThiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Because there's no way that will go wrong.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 16, 2011, 09:56:08 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

QuoteThiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Third thread about this of the day.

I'm beginning to think you guys like to laugh at libertarians.

:lulz:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

I didn't see the other two, sorry. But yeah, they're always good for a chuckle. Mod, pls delete or merge if necessary.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PopeTom on August 16, 2011, 09:40:54 PM
I want to know what's going to happen first a Cocoanut Grove like fire due to non-existant building codes or a slave indentured servant rebellion.

The best part is that they're modular, and each module is fully maintained by the occupants, like a tiny floating empire. Which means that, with no codes or regulations, the potential for lulzy disaster is endless!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

PopeTom

Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 16, 2011, 09:58:25 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 16, 2011, 09:56:08 PM

Third thread about this of the day.

I'm beginning to think you guys like to laugh at libertarians.

we're Discordians, we know a bad idea when we see it!
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: Nigel on August 16, 2011, 10:01:54 PM

The best part is that they're modular, and each module is fully maintained by the occupants, like a tiny floating empire. Which means that, with no codes or regulations, the potential for lulzy disaster is endless!

So it'll be like a community of sovereign where a neighbor's dog pooping on your lawn will be answered by land mines, shot guns, and eventual invasion and enslavement?

Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PopeTom on August 16, 2011, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 16, 2011, 09:18:52 PM
Hey PopeTom, check this thread for a fairly amusing discussion of this: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=29963.0;topicseen

Yea I had noticed that after my initial post.

I missed it because much like advertisements for singles sites I don't see references to Ayn Rand unless I deliberately look at them.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

This whole thing fills me with glee.   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PopeTom on August 16, 2011, 10:04:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 16, 2011, 10:01:54 PM

So it'll be like a community of sovereign where a neighbor's dog pooping on your lawn will be answered by land mines, shot guns, and eventual invasion and enslavement?

Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

In Libertarian Sealand, anything is possible!

There is no way for this not to turn epic. My greatest worry is that it will fizzle out early, before the potential for lulz really develops. It has to START OUT a ripping success, so that when it starts to fail it can be really, REALLY good.

I think this should ideally occur over a timeline of about 40 years, so hopefully I'll still be alive for the good stuff.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Actually, I can see it really going places in only 30 years... the first ten, a Utopia of building and cooperation, the second ten, we see the first failures, the last ten, pure anarchist feudalism, disaster, and mayhem out on the open seas!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This century is starting to look AWESOME.

Nephew Twiddleton

I give it ten years tops. Utopias have a tendency do go dystopian within a handful of years.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also since they are technically separatists they should be stripped of us citizenship.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS