News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

SRS BZNZ

Started by LMNO, March 15, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/03/13/the_geopolitics_of_girls

QuoteThe true TV connoisseur appreciates that the most insightful television show about world... politics airing right now is, obviously, Girls.

Start with the protagonist: Dunham's Hannah Horvath, a struggling young writer who clearly represents the United States in all her fading hegemony. She borrows from others in order to afford her current lifestyle. Hannah manages to insert herself into every situation, making it all about her -- a process that evokes myriad U.S. military interventions. Like many an American president abroad, Hannah often leaps before she looks, convinced that the experience will be enriching. Of all the characters on the show, she is naked the most often, revealing a transparency that parallels the American political system. Finally, despite all of her flaws, Hannah clearly possesses both talent and charm, which allows her to get away with such egregious behavior for sustained periods of time -- until it finally catches up with her. Tell me I haven't just described the United States as viewed by the rest of the world.

It goes on from there.

Cain

Are they putting crack in Dan Drezner's coffee at FP again?  Not cool, guys.

Note: I wrote the above even before I checked to see it was Drezner writing it.