News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

ELDER SCROLLS V

Started by Cramulus, December 12, 2010, 07:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The prisoner thing is now officially a running gag.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2011, 08:46:05 AM
The prisoner thing is now officially a running gag.

yeah, it has been for awhile now. 

that morrowind rebuild looks damn good.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cramulus

the prisoner thing's always been a part of the series

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion... you always begin in Imperial custody, the game begins as you get your freedom back

Cain

I've mentioned this before, but that the Empire keeps relying on heroes who happen to be petty criminals is not exactly reassuring.

Edit: also, due to a gift card I got, I can now buy Oblivion for much cheaper than it is on Amazon.  If the store ever has it back in stock.  My computer can probably handle that....barely.  It sure as fuck wont be able to handle Skyrim.

Jasper

Look for a mod called "oldblivion".  It replaces the shaders with older ones, and generally makes oblivion really easy to run at a nice framerate.  Also, open a console and enter tg.  It turns off all that pesky, processor heavy grass.

Cain

Thanks.  It sucks that, in 2009, I buy a brand new computer and it still cannot cope with games made in 2008.  It was, admittedly, a very cheap one, bought due to necessity, but still...  Also, I still have to wait for the game to be back in stock and who knows?  By that point, I may have a job and invest in a second, high-spec laptop for gaming purposes.

Disco Pickle

in my experience, anything you get off the shelf will still need a decent graphics card added to it to get good game performance.  Hell, I need one just to run the modeling software I use at work.  Fortunately, GPU tech keeps coming down in price, especially as it's making inroads in science and medical fields by performing sometimes up to 30 times faster than current CPU tech.  A decent card will still put you back a couple hundred, but it's worth the price for the performance IMHO.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

The card on this is actually surprisingly good, considering....my main worry is the RAM size, which is pretty pathetic for a computer running Vista, and its overall processing power.  Those are definitely the main limiting factors.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Why not use Windows XP or Windows 7? Vista uses too much ram.

Also, a supposed map of the new game:

Jasper

Did someone say Haarfingar?

[/Betty White]

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2011, 05:43:06 PM
The card on this is actually surprisingly good, considering....my main worry is the RAM size, which is pretty pathetic for a computer running Vista, and its overall processing power.  Those are definitely the main limiting factors.

TTM is right, Vista uses an assload of RAM. Best to go either one version down (XP) or up (Win7).

Putting extra RAM in your computer is not only possible, relatively easy*, but also quite cheap, especially considering the performance boost it will give you. I've heard it described as being nearly as good as getting a new computer.

*not that I ever done it, but it is, but I really don't have a good excuse either.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Keep in mind, that if you're not using a 64 bit OS (and have a processor that is 64 bit) you will be limited to how much RAM you can actually use.

Requia ☣

There's ways around that actually (iirc with the right tweaks windows home 32 bit can get 16 gigs, though its an artificial limitation, the real limit is 256), though you're still stuck with 4 gigs per process, and some hardware drivers may not work.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

And how would installing XP help with the fact my computer has a one gig limit on its RAM size, and almost all computer games in the past 3 years give two gig as the minimum system requirement?

Oh, wait, it wouldn't.

But, you know, thanks for assuming I'm a fucking idiot who knows nothing about my own computer.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on January 24, 2011, 02:04:23 PM
And how would installing XP help with the fact my computer has a one gig limit on its RAM size, and almost all computer games in the past 3 years give two gig as the minimum system requirement?

Oh, wait, it wouldn't.

But, you know, thanks for assuming I'm a fucking idiot who knows nothing about my own computer.

Well excuse me, I was just trying to help. I didn't realize your computer was that old, that it'd have a 1GB limit.

Still, while not helping to play recent games, XP should run a lot snappier than Vista, especially on such an old machine.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.