News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

English is crazy talk.

Started by Bruno, August 19, 2011, 10:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

I think that "Black Irish" goes back to Medieval times, when some of the Irish would raid the English West coast Monasteries, under cover of darkness in the sure knowledge that the Danes, as Pagan Viking bastards would automatically be blamed.  After all, weren't Ireland a good Christian Nation, under one King, and God?
Thing is, they had to make sure that their shields, or  the colour and cut of their their clothes didn't give them away as being Irish.
If that happened, Rome would have forced the Irish High King, under threat of excommunication to deal with the problem using extremely robust measures, both as a deterrent, and as a gesture of obesience to the Pope.
So the Irish raiders would use black sheilds, with no designation, and wear plain black cloth, so that if by any chance one of them should perish at the meekness of the Monks, there would be no evidence to suggest he was Irish, and the English would have no reason to blame anyone other than the Danes.
When, after many years of getting all the blame, the Danish became a Christian Nation too, they were diplomatically called "The Black Irish" to iterate that they were Kingless Pirates, and not under the rule of the good, God fearing Irish King at all.

Much like a forerunner of the Elizabethan practice of granting Privateer licences to Pirates, in order to plunder the ships of another Christian Nation with impunity.
(I say 'impunity', because the best they managed to do when it all came to a head, was to put that "Armada"thing together, and sail around the British coast in protest, until they all sank)         
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Huh. Interesting thing to consider. But I thought that until those damn Norwegians stole our gig, it was fairly well understood that we were THE pirates and the Ard Ri was a wussy figurehead.

Twid,
Maintains that the O'Briens are named after a pretentious wuss.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 20, 2011, 01:09:37 AM
English isnt the only one though. For example in irish you have to use the word blue to describe someone of african descent. Reason being otherwise describing someone as a color refers to their hair color. By that logic my dad is black and i used to be brown and my grandfather used to be red. :?

In Australia, you would call someone who had red hair "blue" or "bluey" or possibly "bluebottle".

This isn't a linguistic quirk, it's just because Australians have a retarded sense of humour.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Eve on August 20, 2011, 12:49:34 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on August 19, 2011, 11:59:01 PM
Well, you're probably glad I didn't come to the meetup.

Did you shit in my tub when I was at work?

If so, thanks for cleaning up after yourself. :)

I don't think I ate anything for those 3 days besides a loaf of bread. So I tried, but in the end I just sharted dry breadcrumbs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I thought that "Black Irish" meant the people who were descendants of the Spaniards who washed up there after the armada sank?

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on August 20, 2011, 12:50:12 PM
I thought that "Black Irish" meant the people who were descendants of the Spaniards who washed up there after the armada sank?

Quote from: That online encyclopedia that you never should use for a term paper
Black Irish refers to certain groups originally from Ireland. The term is ambiguous and used mainly outside of Ireland. People in different times and places have used it for separate reasons.[citation needed] Opinions also vary in regard to what is perceived as the usual physical characteristics of the so-called black Irish: e.g., dark hair, brown eyes, and medium skin tone; or dark hair, blue or green eyes, and fair skin tone.

More recently, genetic studies have provided new insights into the heritage of Irish people as well as their neighbours from the British Isles. Researchers suggested that migrations from Prehistoric Iberia can be viewed as the primary source for their genetic material, having demonstrated marked similarities with modern representatives of the aforementioned time period in that of the Basque people. This idea has since been revised as the majority of Irish males fall under the R1b sub-clade L-21 which is very rare in Basques.

Looks like the term in general is pretty useless. Probably because people expect us to all be redheads. Even though redheads are bad luck in Irish superstition.

East Coast Hustle

That's OK, Irish are bad luck in most of the rest of our superstitions. :lulz:

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on August 20, 2011, 05:47:57 PM

I like how there's like, 3 dudes in that picture. They're probably like, "finally going to get laid! at least one of these gingers will know what its like!"

BadBeast

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 20, 2011, 05:52:31 PM

I like how unattractive there's like, 3 dudes in that picture. They're probably like, "finally going to get laid! at least one of these gingers will know what its like!"
As far as I know, even Gingers find other Gingers unattractive, except in very particular circumstances. It wouldn't be
right to speculate on what those circumstances actually are though, because, . . . .well,  I'm not a Ginger.   

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on August 20, 2011, 06:13:10 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 20, 2011, 05:52:31 PM

I like how unattractive there's like, 3 dudes in that picture. They're probably like, "finally going to get laid! at least one of these gingers will know what its like!"
As far as I know, even Gingers find other Gingers unattractive, except in very particular circumstances. It wouldn't be
right to speculate on what those circumstances actually are though, because, . . . .well,  I'm not a Ginger.   

It's like they know their genes are defective and have to breed them out of existence!

Or, they are trying to poison the genepool with ginger blood!!!! :aaa:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's an interesting mutation, and people's reaction to it is equally interesting... for many who do find it attractive, it's intensely attractive. For others, it's actually repellent. I wonder what the psychology and/or biology behind that is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Probably because it signals a whole bunch of recessive genes some of which may or may not complement your own good and or bad genes. Personally i think natural redhead females are hot as fuck but i think redheaded males are by and large comical looking with a few exceptions.

Kai

I find ginger attractive, if its well groomed and suits the person, but that's true of any hair color. <---Not a good barometer
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

I really dig redheads that are actual REDheads, without the orange hair and all the freckles.

Gingers, while not a complete turn-off, had better have a kickin' body.